Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 24, 2007
I knew that _Florence of Arabia_ wasn't going to pull punches from the opening paragraphs, describing -- with only minor changes to the emblem -- the actual location and appearance of the Saudi Arabian diplomatic residence on Chain Bridge Road in McLean. I know because I drove by that residence scores of times in the eight years that I lived in the DC area. And while the satire gets broad at time, I wonder if it could ever exceed the ludicrous reality of Middle East society and politics, both internal and international.

More importantly, _Florence of Arabia_ makes you care about the characters and care about the reality as well -- again, rare traits for a satire, which usually struggles just to keep you amused and often fails when it becomes didactic or polemic.

This is an excellent work, in all sense of that phrase. And speaking of phrases, I continue to be haunted by this one: "One way or the other...we're all working for investment bankers." Read the book. ..bruce..
on October 31, 2012
I have to believe that the cultural references are real and that is what made the book a good read...the comedy against the reality.
on February 27, 2016
It was pretty good. I have to say I have lost like others better. 3 1/2 stars. Story starts well but sort of dwindled toward end.
on September 4, 2013
I enjoyed this book very much. Christopher Buckley makes great fun of
the tangled mess our State Dept.,CIA, & FBI are in.
on October 20, 2014
I love satire and Christopher Buckley is one of the best at writing it.
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2004
I was immediately interested in the the plot of this book, since I have wondered many times how we could help Arab women. Of course "Florence" is a comedy, but a serious comedy. Every word was perfect and no one, except perhaps Florence herself, was spared Buckley's biting observations. (My favorite,though was Rick the PR hack and his programming for TV Matar). Wonderful book.
on March 25, 2016
Good read tongue in cheek read.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2016
Classic Christopher Buckley!
on August 26, 2014
arrived in perfect shape
on March 24, 2009
As in other media, creating bona fide comedy is a challenge. So I'm happy to report that "Florence of Arabia" is the funniest book I've read in many years. Buckley uses his vast command of the English language masterfully to depict events in a lovingly crafted and engrossing satire of Middle Eastern, American, and European politics. The characters are distinct and their interactions are amusing. Buckley does an excellent job providing his protagonist, Florence Farfalleti, with depth, intelligence, humor, and integrity. Nor does he shy away from describing the visceral situations that create high drama in Florence's adventure. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes literature, current events, and falling off his chair with laughter.