5.0 out of 5 stars Florsheim "RIVA" Excellence
These are my 5th and 6th Florsheim Comfortech Rivas (Burgundy and Black). I began wearing them in 1978, when they were sold under the French Shriner label and have not been without at least two pair ever since. The design and production rights (thankfully) passed or were sold to Florsheim when the French Shriner marque disappeared.

The shoes are the ULTIMATE...
Published on January 9, 2007 by Neil A. Coddington

1.0 out of 5 stars This shoe is not authentic Florsheims. BUYER BEWARE!
I have been wearing Florsheim Riva's for well over 20 years. This is the first (and last) time I have ever mail ordered them.
amazon has always been a trusted site me, for my online purchases - which I make more and more of as my years tick away.

Published 7 months ago by Dude

5.0 out of 5 stars Florsheim "RIVA" Excellence, January 9, 2007

The shoes are the ULTIMATE IN COMFORT! The uppers are of glove-soft kidskin and the soles of a firmly cushioned synthetic material. They are suitable for everyday office wear as well as for use on formal occasions.

The factory finish is as durable as a patent leather, without the extremely high gloss plastic look.

They are extremely durable, as some of them lasted me for more than twelve years of frequent wear. I've never been able to wear out the one piece Comfortech sole and heel. Ultimately, the uppers will wear through on the flex creases or at the base, where the upper is joined to the sole. You can easily extend the wear period to ten years or more by occasional use of a good polish, especially after the shoes have been exposed to a wet environment.

They are an excellent buy at the suggested retail price of $100 to $110 that you see most often, but are an unbelievable bargain at the $90/pair charged by Amazon.

If I had a suggestion for minor improvement for Florsheim, it would be to make the sole slightly thicker and the heel slightly wider for greater stability.

I personally, would rate these shoes at six stars on a scale that had five stars for the next best shoe. I would never go back to wearing dress shoes of conventional stiff leather and hard soles and heels.

These shoes are not perfect, but Florsheim has come VERY close with the Riva.

Give them a try -- I think you will come to love them as I do!

Neil Coddington

Albuquerque

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Stars If Amazon Would Let Me...., September 12, 2009
I am now 60 years old and remain in good health. Most of my career has been as an investment banker, which has brought me to many parts of the world and thankfully with some disposable income that allows me to buy a "good" pair of shoes. Until recently, I would stick to the some favorite brands, mostly Bally and Ferragamo. They make very handsome, handcrafted shoes.
Then, in recent years, when walking long streets, be it New York, or Hong Kong, I would complain about my feet doing all that walking. Maybe age? I am sure that plays a factor. Then I read how wearing a comfortable (NOT fashionable or expensive) shoe helps your feet, your posture and your health.
So I started to look for COMFORTABLE shoes. Having been by many shoe places, I walked into a Florsheim store
(I had owned a few Florsheims before, they were OK, nothing great) and asked for their MOST comfortable shoe.
They introduced me to their COMFORTECH line and I chose the RIVA style. It was an EXPERIENCE. I felt lighter
and extremely comfortable. I quickly bought the pair. I discovered that I could walk for many blocks and do this many days on my trips, whether for business or for pleasure - WITHOUT any pain nor discomfort. An added (BIG)bonus: When your shoes hurt, you tend to stoop. (Check that out!) With my RIVAs on, I walk straight and briskly, with a spring on my feet. Seriously. I have not felt this level of passion for any OTHER product - EVER.
So these are the shoes I wear everyday.... I am exploring other models within the COMFORTECH series. But the RIVAs are my FAVORITE. And by the way... I gave away all my other shoes. REALLY.
Don't accept everything I've said here blindly. Go out and try a pair of the Comfortech Series. YOU WILL SEE.
Then.... no need to thank me.... just keep spreading "the word". WORD. Pamper your feet... buy a RIVA :)

1.0 out of 5 stars This shoe is not authentic Florsheims. BUYER BEWARE!, January 21, 2014

These shoes however are giving me a different perspective. These shoes don't even come close to authentic Florsheim Riva's. The leather feels cheap and "thin". I immediately went "what?" when I first put them on.

I think they have gotten their hands on a shipment of cheap Chinese replicates. I honestly do.

I picked up a couple of other pairs from my closet (like I said, been wearing them a long time, I have 3 or 4 old pair in the closet), and this pair is nothing like any of the others (which are all exactly the same quality)

For those of you who think you like your purchase, I ask you to go into a local "real" shoe store and compare what you have bought to what they have in stock, and see if you got the same thing I did. I certainly hope not.

Shame on you amazon for reselling this cheap imitation crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars very comfortable, August 20, 2006
A. Faisal Shaazi (Puchong, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
I wished every pair of shoes made were this comfortable. I bought a new pair to replace my old pair. I agree with the previous reviewer that the design is slightly informal. Even so, I wonder why other companies don't make similar products to Comfortech.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend the extra, August 1, 2013
I bought a cheaper pair of Florsheims about a year ago, and liked them, but really missed the comfort of the Riva. Now the only complaint I have is with myself for not ordering these the first time. The day I received these, they were more comfortable than the cheaper pair I had spent a year breaking in. The comfortech (I think that is what they call it) insole, soft leather, and rubber soles all add up to a very comfortable pair of dress shoes. Mine see action 5 days a week and I couldn't be any happier

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, July 13, 2013
Buy Gone "buygone" (Boynton Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
I own four pair in different colors. Because of my bunions and flat feet I wear a triple eee size which is not the easiest size to come by .
These are the softest most comfortable shoes I have ever worn other than sneakers, and at age 77 I've owned a lot of shoes.
The uppers are soft as butter and the soles are very flexible. The only downside...the soles will dry out and crack after 4-6 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Florsheim Rivas, March 3, 2008
These are the best shoes on the planet. They look incredibly sharp in black, they are extremely low-maintenance, and they are unbelievably comfortable. If you are in a position that requires you maintain a certain image and going barefoot is not an option, there are the shoes to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, durable, metal-free, September 29, 2006
I've been wearing these shoes for years. They're as comfortable as shoes get, and they are available in EEE widths and half sizes, so they fit me well. Their soles are synthetic, not leather; this may make them less elegant, but it also at least quintuples how long they last. The soles and heels never wear out for me; eventually the leather uppers get too scuffed to keep wearing them except around the house and yard.

Except for the tiny little "buckle" on the strap, they have no metal in them, which means they go through all airport metal detectors without setting them off. The soles are thin, so I was never made to take them off at airport security either. Well, not until the latest pointless revision of TSA rules. Someday sense may return to airports, and then the lack of metal will be helpful again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not build to last, July 1, 2014
As many of the 2014 and newer reviews have noticed, quality has taken a steep decline in Florsheim shoes lately....and I say that as a man who has happily worn Florsheim shoes for 30+ years.

I purchased this particular shoe in November of 2013, and wear them once a week to work. It's now July 2014 and I noticed two enormous splits in the sole of the shoe...the shoe is literally disintegrating.

It looks great, it feels great, it just is falling apart.

Very disappointed in this shoe.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable shoes I've worn, March 18, 2014
I bought a pair of these shoes several years ago and they were the most comfortable pair I’d ever owned. Recently I needed a new pair of shoes to wear on a long overseas flight, but most new shoes take weeks to break in to the point where they’re comfortable. I knew these didn’t, so I set out to get another pair. I could not find them locally, but Amazon carried them. I don’t normally order shoes over the internet, but the earlier pair was so good that I decided to try it. Here’s how it turned out:

Fit. I ordered the size I normally wear and they fit perfectly.

Comfort. Comfortable from day one, though after several hours of wearing they were uncomfortable. But most new shoes are uncomfortable from the moment you put them on. After about 3 days of wearing them, I can wear them pretty much anywhere with no discomfort. I can’t say, though, whether for you it might take a little more or less time.

Looks. This is subjective, so decide for yourself. I think they look good. They are nice enough that I have worn them in business settings, but they’re also suitable for casual settings.

Quality. The last pair lasted for years, though I am not especially hard on shoes and also I rotated them with other shoes I wear occasionally. Nonetheless, these were the “go to” pair of shoes, and they lasted well.

Summary. I highly recommend them, and am thinking about going ahead and buying another pair soon. I have no ties with Florsheim or Amazon other than as a customer. I simply like the shoes.

Florsheim Men's Riva Slip-On,Black,9.5 EEE