Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on July 29, 2011
I bought this bag about 2 and a half years ago, and have been reasonably happy with it. It looks great and the leather is very good quality. The inside is nice and the striped canvas is a nice extra detail.

The problems I've had, however, prevent me from giving this a full 5 stars. They are all related to fasteners, loops and hardware on the bag, which makes me hope they have bumped up the quality on these parts since. Here is what I've run into: [please see the update at the end of the review -- Floto repaired these problems for me]

1) Recently, one of the leather loops that holds the shoulder strap completely snapped. The leather on the loop just ripped and the bag dropped to the ground. It seems like the loops are far too thin. Looking at the other loop, it appears that it might eventually have the same problem.

2) The spring clips on the shoulder strap that secure it to the bag itself are somewhat weak. They bend and cause the spring loaded part of the clip to spring out. It's hard to describe but quite annoying, as it causes the strap to come off of the bag. It's not a huge problem, since I can bend the clips back to shape with a pair of pliers, but annoying nonetheless.

3) The metal "feet" are not secured to the bottom of the bag terribly well. The middle one is barely still on my bag, and will likely fall off very soon. This will cause the bottom of the bag to wear prematurely.

I'm going to send it in for repair, so I'll likely update this review when I get it back to describe my experiences with their repair service. I'm hoping they a) put on stronger shoulder strap loops, b) fasten the feet down more firmly or replace them, and c) perhaps find a stronger clip for the shoulder bag strap.

Overall I really like how nice the bag looks, and I hope that I get these problems fixed easily. I've bought 2 other products from them more recently that I haven't had problems with, so I like the company, just hope I can get these issues resolved.

Floto fixed these problems for me and seems to have updated the problem areas on the newer bags. They have a lifetime warranty and I've had very good experiences with their customer service, so I can definitely recommend buying this bag. As I mentioned above, I have 2 other products and have been happy with everything.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2012
I've been hunting for a leather Gladstone bag for a long time but had found one that was affordable. Then I came across these Floto duffle bags. At first, I was hesitant to buy it because I was sure that at this price point the bag had to be cheaply constructed and would probably not last the many years that I require for it to be a good value. Still, I was intrigued because of the consistently high reviews it was receiving from my fellow Amazon shoppers so I decided to roll the dice and ordered the bag.

Just in case there was a problem, I payed the extra $17 and ordered the bag that was being offered directly by Amazon instead of the independent seller with the lower price. The bag arrived two short days later. As previously noted by another reviewer, the bag arrived in a box that I felt was rather oddly shaped for an item of these dimensions. It was flat. Inside, I discovered the squished bag wrapped in a disposable plastic sack. My initial thought was that this had not been Amazon's best packing effort; but, as after removing the duffle from the plastic sack, I noted a small manufactures tag that explained that any folds resulting from the packing process would smooth out once the bag was unpacked and used for the first time. So I guess that is how the bag was sent to Amazon from Italy. I unpacked the bag 2 days ago and as promised, the folds are already gone.

The bag itself does not have the metal big mouth frame that I like in the Gladstone. Instead it follows the design of traditional Italian clam shell style duffles and has a zipper (that unfortunately is not brass) that essentially splits the bag into two halves lengthwise. The bag is larger than I had envisioned, which is a good thing. The interior is lined with a thick colorfully printed canvas that will surely stand up to years of use and there is one zippered pocket. The leather possesses a lighter feel than I had expected but still appears to be rugged enough to stand up to some abuse. The finish is waxy but smooth and the color consistent throughout. The brass buckles and leather handles appear well attached and sturdy.

The only flaw in workmanship that I noted was in the stitching on one side of the duffle. There is what appears to be an errant colored or stained thread that makes it look like they had missed a stitch when in fact they had not. Ultimately, this doesn't concern me because I fully expect the bag to become bruised and develop a healthy patina over the next several years of use. In my opinion, it arrived with a character mark.

Apart from the aforementioned blemish, the only thing that might be worrisome for some buyers is the extremely strong tanning off-gases that the bag releases when you first unpack it from its plastic wrapper. I had read about these from some of the other reviewers and frankly though they were just making much ado about nothing but I was wrong. The off-gases are very strong and required the bag to sit for two solid days on my balcony to become tolerable. Fortunately, after it was properly aired out, the bag was fine. I only mention this because you will definitely have to air the bag for a couple of days and should figure that into the equation prior to ordering if you will be using the bag soon after receiving it. In other words, don't order the bag with the expectation that you will be able to use it immediately with allowing it a few days to acclimate and air out.

All things considered, I am happy with my bag and feel like I made a good purchase. It may not be a Gladstone, but it is still a good buy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2008
I bought this bag a while back because I needed a good carry-on that would last me a long time. This bag is superb. I notice that as it gets used more, the leather gets softer and more defined, and it holds up to everything you can throw at it! It's been rained on, dropped out of cargo holds, stuffed into trunks, overhead bins, and a lot of other places but it keeps going. The bag always gets compliments and people always ask me where I got it! It is a bit expensive, but you have to consider that this will probably last twenty years or more if you take care of your luggage. How much have YOU spent over the last few years on cheap luggage?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2012
I purchased this duffel bag less than two months ago, and I was thrilled. It has beautiful leather, nice fabric on the inside, and it is a wonderful size for the kind of traveling that i do. However, after less than six uses, the shoulder strap has already broken. It did not break at the leather, but at the spring loaded clip that attaches it to the duffel bag. I am grateful that when it broke, my laptop was in the top of the duffle bag, because the entire bag dropped a good 3 feet to the floor with an almighty thud that alarmed not only myself, but my also my 5 month old niece who had only just fallen asleep for her nap. I am very disappointed that they would use such cheep hardware on such a otherwise nice bag.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2011
I ordered this duffle Wednesday, December 21st with 2-day shipping. The seller was quick to respond, made sure everything was in order, and shipped off that very same day. The bag arrived in perfect shape on Friday the 23rd. The new leather smell was strong, but not overwhelming (at least for my nose). I can see how some may find it powerful. 24 hours was enough for the smell to diminish significantly.

I've already used the bag once for a weekend Christmas vacation, and was able to fit a greater amount of clothes in it than is probably intended, but the bag took it all like a champ. Handles and strap seem strong. I look forward to using this duffle for many years (and hopefully many trips).

Enough can not be said about the quality of the duffle and the fantastic customer service I've received. I feel confident in knowing that if there happens to be a problem with my product, Floto will be there to fix the issue ASAP.
on September 10, 2012
I purchased this bag after searching high and low for a quality leather product NOT made in China. I recently put it through several trips, both weekend and longer term. After returning from a 10 day trip, here are my pros and cons.
PROs: 1. quality leather 2. deep color with shiny surface 3. sturdy handles 4. useful strap 5. authentic brass hardware
CONs: 1. brass pulls are minuscule!!!! 2. bottom is not stiff enough causing bag to sag 3. strap shoulder pad is too thin

The biggest irritant is the brass pulls (see picture 1). Seriously, no adult has fingers this small. I would challenge a child to comfortably pull these tiny pieces of brass! As far as the bottom of the bag, it performs its function. However, the material used as the base of the bag is not stiff enough with even a few items in the bag. Lastly, although the shoulder strap and pad are made of the same quality leather as the bag, that leather alone is too thin to provide any padding when using the strap to carry the bag. Either double up the leather for the pad, or add some sort of additional material on the underside (see picture 2).

Overall, I really love this bag! It absolutely deserves a 4.5 star rating, but since Amazon doesn't allow for this, I had to knock a star off because of the CONs. If Floto were to address these few issues, even with a price increase I think the bag is superior to anything else I've found!
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2015
I did an exhaustive review of carry-on bags in anticipation of my upcoming trip abroad. I ruled out bags well over the legal carry-on size and also the bags that were a much smaller (I've never groused about having brought too large a bag). I was looking for something classy I could take on a business trip or on a short vacation where I'd be going more upscale. There were a number of bags that were cheaper but after looking closely at some reviews I realized the reviewers were reviewing 30 to 40 leather bags and giving only 5 star reviews. This obvious pumping up of the rating of a product totally turned me off from the cheaper bags. There were other bags in the hundreds to nearly a thousand dollars. That's just way more than I wanted to, or could justify spending. On the reputation of Floto, I took the plunge. Wife and I got the bag today and couldn't be happier. The workmanship seems top rate, the bag neither flimsy, nor heavy as with thick cowhide. It's got a nice sheen to it but not too shiny like I'm some dandy. Seems to me, the Venezia is the perfect balance between rugged casual elegance, and refined, clean lines and style. At this price point I would have hoped for a metal zipper, but from what I've read, there haven't been any recurring issues with the plastic. The zipper pulls themselves are metal with the Floto label. This is a bag I'll be using on casual airport travel as well as using when I'm dressed to the nines. I'm glad I threw an extra hundred in the hat and treated myself to something really nice. For a few views not shown in the ad, check my own photos below.
review image review image review image review image review image
on September 11, 2014
I researched a lot of leather bags that I could use as a weekender. Originally was planning on getting a Fossil leather bag that had metal wiring that kept the bag open while you're packing it. It also had large outside pockets which this bag is lacking.

Ultimately I decided on this bag because a) the many positive reviews and b) the overall quality of leather is much nicer. Also, c) the rich brown color is much nicer than I expected. Gives it an extremely classy look.

I like the shoulder strap it comes with as well. It's a bit thin and doesn't provide the most comfortable support on your shoulder, but overall it is functional.

Inside, the bag has ample room for a solid 3 day trip. I've used it for more, but you have to pack strategically. Usually I carry a small roll-on suitcase anyway (carry-on size), but this bag serves as a perfect complement for longer week long trips. I can usually fit two pairs of dress shoes, 3-4 pairs of pants/jeans, 3-4 t-shirts and a couple of dress shirts comfortably.

It also has an inside zipped pouch which is nice for small items like a toothbrush, headphones, whatever the case might be.

I didn't like the interior color and pattern when I saw it online, but in person it doesn't bother me that much. It just works.

Overall, very satisfied with this bag. It's sturdy, it looks and feels expensive, and it gets the job done.
on March 22, 2014
I have been shopping for a good quality leather weekender bag for about a month. I was very, very close to purchasing one from Fossil for about $100 more. I'm glad I didn't. People have posted about wanting the bag to have an exterior pocket but I'm not concerned about it.

I'm 6'0 and 235 lbs. I wear XL shirts. I can tell you that I can pack for 4 days easily with this bag. Also I think the handles and the the hardware around them are superb.
on February 1, 2013
Not at all happy and initiating a return. The bag I received had a scuff and what looked like the beginning of a tear on the side. There was a loop of thread from the stitching exposed on one seam and another seam looked like it was coming apart. Truly appeared to be a 2nd or something you'd find at a discount shop. Just as equally frustrating was the fact that the bag was jammed into a box for shipping that was way too small and it arrived all bent, contorted and wrinkled. Some of the wrinkles creased the leather. Just overall a bad experience and I will not buy again online. Going to a luggage store and even if I pay a bit more, I'd rather see an item like this before buying.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse