Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Style Name: 400A AC True RMS Clamp Meter|Change

on December 5, 2013
This meter seems to be a quality meter that performs as advertised. One point to be aware of is that the Min/Max feature on this meter is more limited than on many other Fluke products. The Min/Max feature does NOT give Average values. While it does not claim to do so, Fluke does a very poor job of differentiating between Min/Max and Min/Max/Avg on their product description pages.

Additionally, Fluke appears to be removing critical reviews from their corporate website. I posted a review of this product pointing out this feature limitation and it was removed within a week.

In short, if you need average voltage or current, you will need to look at a different product.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
After losing my last meter, Amprobe, I decided to get the new (and un-reviewed) Fluke 325.

This meter is the top meter in the 320 series. It has features (not in the 323, and 324 meters) that were important to me, like frequency (measured with the clamp-on, not the probes), used for VFD drives, higher Ohm scale and DC Amps (which is not a premium on other brands).

Pros:
The unit is dead accurate and fast. All readings are spot on, without calibration. The volts/amps RMS work great on dirty NYC sine waves, and cleaned up VFD digital waves.
The exterior is durable, the operation is predicable and to the point.
Very reliable, and I feel safe with it.

Cons:
The price is high, almost to high, compared to the 323&324 models
You can get cheap meters from Fieldpiece & UEI and better meters from Sperry, Amprobe, Hioki, Agilent that are cheaper with more features, but Flukes are the best built (besides Simpson), with the best components --- like capacitors.
The amperage only goes to 400 Amps, which is kind of low.
Temperature probe is not "K" type, but plugs into the probe sockets.

(Sorry if I pissed the Fieldpiece meter fans, I don't like them)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 31, 2014
I started using fluke dvm's in 1979 at my first "electronics" job. Those same meters were used for the next 20 years, being sent in each 2 years for calibration, and returned, and always performing without fail. Now, to own something like this, for this kind of price, is really great. These are exceptional, auto ranging, clamp meter, that measures ac, dc, ohms, current.

Its really handy when working on an air conditioner on the roof and needing to know if fuses are good or bad--but not wanting to open the fuse box with 230V going into it. (the fuse is on the AC unit). So voila, you clamp onto the wire and instantly you know if anything is flowing through that wire. If yes, fuses are good. If no, fuses might be bad, but at least you know quickly, easily, and SAFELY.

It also has an alarm to beep if a short or open circuit (which can be turned off).

You can spend more, but you can't get better. Just ask any of us who use these in our careers and any number of us will vouch for FLUKE quality and reliability.
on April 26, 2014
I have owned a similar meter for years. Fluke meters are the way to go. I only give four stars because the beep for continuity testing is faint and hard to hear. My other Fluke has a much louder beep. When I use a meter I am obviously trouble shooting , generally looking for continuity more than the actual resistance value, and would prefer to hear the meter as opposed to having to look at the digital read out. I will make it work. I should mention also that I don't have the best of hearing, but I still hear my older meter just fine.
on December 5, 2014
First of all, it's a Fluke, with all of the quality implied by the brand. It's built tough, and designed for safety. The ergonomics are great, with smooth operating jaws and dial.

One question recently asked about this meter was if you can measure current using the test leads (series connected current measurement. The answer is "no," and the manual specifies to disconnect the test leads before measuring current using the clamp jaws.

Speaking of the manual, it's pretty useless... Instead of text describing the features, it uses cryptic pictograms to attempt to convey complex ideas. Head to Youtube to see videos of how to use the meter if you're unsure. If you've used a similar meter in the past, it's pretty easy to figure out how to work this meter.

I recently did some testing of a 3 ampere circuit breaker to determine the overcurrent trip point. I used an HP DC power supply (with built in current measurement) and a Fluke 87-5 connected in series to monitor current (just to verify accuracy). For fun (and to satisfy my curiosity), I also clamped the Fluke 325 onto the test lead. Unsurprisingly, the three meters (power supply, 87-V, and 325) all matched within 0.10 amperes of each other. Very gratifying and reassuring to see such demonstrated accuracy.
on March 3, 2014
as a commercial electrician I use this meter on a very regular basis and trust my life with it. I really like the size of this meter over some of the bigger meters that i have used it is small enough that on days that I am constantly using it, it fits nicely in my tool pouches without taking up too much room and still gives just as accurate readings as those bigger more expensive meters i also really like having the clamp even if i am not using it, i really like having the option to hang it in a panel and use it hands free. the price was also great when I bought this meter i believe i paid about 80 for it and have been super pleased, i was looking for a quality meter that wouldn't break the bank while being small enough to carry all day and still give me all the basics that I need to do my job.
on July 10, 2015
Good quality meter, solid sturdy construction. I'm not a professional electrician or HVAC tech, but I wanted a good quality meter that had, in one unit, the typical measurements that I'm in need of: voltage, current, resistance/continuity, capacitance, and temperature. Previously I had a box of various and assorted meters, none of which had all that I wanted, but in combination did. All were of standard (read: dubious) quality, and never quite seemed to agree in scale. I junked them all and went w/ the 324.

It has performed to and exceeded my expectations. The quality and construction seems substantial for contractor/tech work, but I can't comment on field durability, this will be a 'garage queen' for my occasional use. The price point is high for my general needs, but I feel that I'd probably spent more than that on the bevy of meters that I discarded, not to mention the implicit costs associated with poorly calibrated devices and not having any sense of confidence. I'm happy with my decision, and very pleased with my purchase.

I've attached some additional pictures of the product (taken from the Fluke site) -- these should be included in the main product pictures above, but aren't for some reason. Product includes: meter, case, manual, probes (red & black with pointed tips and caps), thermocouple. Manual available for download at: http://media.fluke.com/documents/32x_____umeng0000.pdf

Disclosure: I work for a subsidiary company of Danaher, of which Fluke is also a subsidiary. Other than that tenuous relationship, I have no relationship with Fluke products, company, or personnel. I was not compensated nor asked by Fluke, Danaher, or any other person or company to provide this review.

PS: Have a nice day.
review image review image review image
on March 23, 2014
Works great as an AC Clamp On Meter. The description was AC/DC, however, this only applies to the voltage meter, not the AMP Meter. Purchase the Fluke 325 or better if you need AC/DC AMP readings.
on February 13, 2016
Bah. The runt of the Fluke litter.
This has no more functionality, and only marginally better build quality than a $30 Craftsman meter.
The resistance measuring tops out at 1KΩ - which is particularly galling for an HVAC mechanic. I can't check the quality and consistency of many temp sensors, as they're often 10 or 20KΩ
on January 8, 2014
I have bought three $20 meters in the last year. I am sick of it. So I spent a few extra bucks and bought this Fluke clamp on meter. Fluke is the best meter company known to man. This clamp on is basic. It does exactly what I need in my line of work. Thank you Fluke!! Buy one......