Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 29, 2012
I found out this book was available for the Kindle and I downloaded it. After dinner that night, I casually started reading it. Little did I know that I would get hooked! I finished the book that night - I couldn't put it down. I found myself reading faster and faster - just to know what was going to happen next. I fell in love with the characters, and Gina Linko's writing made me feel like I was there. There are surprises as the story goes along - ones that made me gasp - out loud! Oh, and the ending made me cheer - again, out loud. I would highly recommend this book for young adults and even young-at-heart adults. This is a must read for anyone! I bought two copies for my nieces as Christmas gifts - but now that I've read it - they'll be getting it this weekend. :)

Still not convinced? Watch this amazing book trailer:
[...]
on November 29, 2012
I don't think I had any real expectations for this book, but Flutter really surprised me. It captured my attention from the very beginning and held it all the way to the very end.

Seventeen year old Emery lives her life in a hospital, she has been having "loops" since she was little and as she became older it has become worse to where she can't even go on with day to day activities without looping (time traveling). The loops are slowly killing her and she knows it. When she loops she sometimes visits people from her past, she goes to the future and most of the time she meets up with a little boy. At first things are vague but eventually her time spent with the little boy becomes more and more vivid to the point where she runs away from the hospital and her father who looks at her as a lab rat to experiment on and ventures off to find out more about the little boy and what he wants from her.

Hmm where to really start, I really thought I knew what was going on the entire time but boy was I wrong about everything literally. And I loved it! This book was not predictable at all, I would have never guessed what was really up with her loops and no way did I even imagine for it to the end the way that it did. After I was finished reading I was walking around just a little shocked because I did not see it coming, the ending came out of left field. It was sad and beautiful all at once.

As for the two main characters Emery and Ash they both had depth to them, and I liked the fact that it wasn't all centered around Emery. Ash also had some messed up things going on in his life that made him and easily believable character. I loved the chemistry between the two and the fact that it took time for their feelings to develop for each other.

Overall Flutter was a wonderful read and I really am looking forward to see what else Gina Linko writes in the future.
on October 31, 2012
This is a great choice for teens that love both realistic fiction AND sci-fi/fantasy. (And adults that can't get enough of teen fiction.) :)
Realistic fiction fans will relate to the character conflicts and salivate over the developing relationship between Emery and Ash. Sci-fi/fantasy junkies will be desperate to figure out Emery's loops. Is it really time travel? Is it all in her head (and body)? Or could it be something else entirely?
The building tension will keep readers glued to the pages: I literally inhaled the last 100 pages! I'll be recommending we purchase it for our YA collection at the library.
on October 30, 2012
Awesome! Very interesting story. What does she have? Epilepsy, her dad and the doctors say. But she knows its really something else. Time travel? Where does she really go when she has a seizure?
The story unfolds with all the frustration, confusion, and speculation that Emery feels conveyed so strongly to the reader, one cannot help but get drawn into the story. The possibilities of what's really happening are astounding.
on October 23, 2012
When I started Flutter, I wasn't sure if it would be up my alley. I mean, I am a teen, but I don't always like young adult because it's can be simplicfied, and I usually stick to adult fiction. But once I started, I was hooked immediately. Emery Land is a teen with some kind of epilepsy or seizures, and she is experiencing what she calls "loops" when she has these seizures that take her to another time. No one believes her, so she has to escape her controlling doctor father to try to figure them out herself. Once she leaves, she meets Ash, who is like the perfect male protagonist and love interest because he's trying to do good deeds to right his dark past. He's sensitive but a little dangerous because we don't know exactly where he came from. The two get roped into the mystery of finding out about her loops together, while stuck in a snowy cabin together. It makes for such a romantic, tense setting, and I couldn't put it down. What I really loved, though, is Linko's writing. She is subtle and smart, where many YA authors hit you over the head with clues and bad dialogue. Flutter us the kind of story where you just feel emersed in the author's world and the characters in it, and you can escape yours. I would recommend this book to any teens who like romance and sci-fi. It's worth the read.
on August 18, 2013
This is a very hard review to form. There was so much about Flutter that I loved, yet all of it is dashed by the ending. I promise no spoilers, no matter how hard they are to avoid!

Linko has a beautiful writing style. The story had at times an almost otherworldly tone to it that I felt really built up the looping and the daze that Emery's life has become. The concept was awesome. That Emery is looping to another place or time was such an interesting idea. I loved that this wasn't an easy ability. By that I mean it wasn't something she just did with no consequences or notice. Her looping caused extended seizures which were causing her organs to shut down. She was dying and people around her were attempting to place a scientific explanation on it.

The main characters are very well developed. Emery and Asher are complex people and each have their own secrets. While Emery struggles to trust Asher, he is driven by guilt to protect her and everyone else. Their romance builds slowly and it progressed naturally. That said I felt that the 'villians' in the story felt one dimensional. Oh, there were hints that maybe there was something more about them, but in the end they are simply bad guys doing bad things.

So with an amazing concept, beautiful writing, and great characters, why didn't I love it? Two words. The ending.

I stayed up until one in the morning reading Flutter, anxious to find out what happens and when I got to the last few pages I just felt let down. I wanted an explanation. I wanted a real conclusion to the story lines and closure to relationships. I got none of that.

I've been going back and forth on my rating. I rated it a 3 at first, but I'm leaning more to a 4. The longer I think about it the more I realize that if I hadn't truly enjoyed the writing and story, I wouldn't have felt so let down by the ending.
on October 26, 2012
If you like to be thrilled, this book is for you! Flutter is one of those books you don't want to put down because you are constantly wanting to know what's in store next. Emry's "looping" (from seizures) that takes her back and forth in time, along with the development of the various relationships in this book, makes for an interesting, suspensful storyline with exciting twists and turns. And the ending? GENIUS! Gina Linko amazed and impressed me with Flutter. I feel like I hit the jackpot and can't wait to see what else this author has in store for us in the future!
on October 26, 2012
I've never written a review before but this book really surprised me. I don't like sci-fi (this isn't really sci-fi, in my opinion) and I usually stay away from time travel (the future is always so depressing). So, don't ask me how I ended up reading this book. But I did, and I LOVED it. In fact, all of the classic category labels that get put on this don't do it justice. I would say it's more of a spiritual, romantic mystery, if that makes sense.

Anyway, one of my faves. Highly recomended.
on April 14, 2013
At seventeen, Emery Land finds her life voraciously consumed by physical deterioration resulting from seizures. Practically living in a hospital under constant surveillance by her scientist father and an ostensibly-skeptical team of doctors, she feels herself a lab rat; consequently, weighing the stifling emotional price of her caged existence against the physically lethal cost of freedom, Emery flees in order to pursue her theory that during her seizures she travels through time and space. Inhabiting an emotional purgatory that exists somewhere between the heaven of free will and the hell of self-recriminations, she meets Asher Clarke who seems to be intimately entwined with her plight. Together, they must race against the Doomsday clock to understand the truth of their complicated connection. Above all else, Flutter is a beautifully-written, poignant tale of possibly-star-crossed lovers that questionably ends in death but certainly avoids being trite or predictable. Moreover, it would be a wonderful read for those who are intrigued by aspects of science-fiction or paranormal fiction but are hesitant to explore these interests. As the plot unfolds, the protagonist becomes increasingly mired in a hopelessly, complex situation. Being drawn further and further away from a satisfying conclusion, the story necessitates a deus ex machina akin to Austen's poultry rustlers in order to avoid sending the audience into a nihilistic plummet. Nevertheless, the very device which saves both the plot and the reader is simultaneously cathartic and unsettling. Linko's expert manipulation of first-person point of view encourages the reader to not only fall prey to the limitations of her naïve narrator but also deny the wisdom of a more balanced, objective perspective - willfully experiencing this sensuous journey as Emery does. In the end, finding herself returned to an existence outside of Linko's story, the reader feels compelled to question beliefs and portrayals of an afterlife. Although critics may argue that the author's conceptualization is highly discriminatory - excluding nonwhite, non-christian individuals - Linko's crafting of such an intimate bond between the protagonist's life and her afterlife suggests that "heaven" is deeply personal and thereby reflects the plurality of the living. In short, Linko seems to dispel the notion of an objective reality and propose that each of us is only privy to the heaven which reflects us.
on October 25, 2012
I heard about this book from one of my friends whose daughter is in high school. Under normal circumstances, I would not take this referral too serious and actually go out and buy the book....I am so happy that I did. This book is, as they say, a page turner. I finished it about an hour ago and want to tell everyone about this story. I NEVER give my opinion under the review section of items I read/purchase; WELL, this book is, for sure, worth every waking moment (past your bed time). ENJOY!!!!