The Fluval FX5 Canister Filter offers unparallel filtration power, maximum versatility and incredible control in fine-tuning water characteristics. The multi-stage system allows you to stack filtration media in the precise combination of layers that will work best for your aquarium. In the end you are provided with infinite flexibility in creating and maintaining the ideal environment for your fish.
It’s massive capacity and powerful integrated motor processes and re-circulates 563 gallons of water every hour enabling you to precisely manage water conditions for aquariums as large 400 gallons. It will hold up to 1.5 gallons of media, yet it is compact enough to fit under almost any aquarium cabinet.
With Fluval’s unique Smart Pump technology, this self-priming system offers plug-in-and-start convenience. Upon start-up the canister fills with water, pauses to evacuate air, immediately begins the filtering process and continues filtering until it is unplugged. Once every 24 hours, the filter will pause again to evacuate any air that has become trapped in the system to maintain the total vacuum necessary for maximum efficiency.
Fluval FX5 Details
• High performance, canister filter for aquariums up to 400 gallons.
• Multi-directional Output Nozzle
– Twin-output nozzle can be adjusted to create specific water flow to reach all corners of the aquarium.
• Self-Priming Instant Start System
- Just add water and plug in. The FX5 has a “Smart-chip” in the motor, allowing it to be self-priming.
• Smart Pump Technology
– Allows system to shut-down and purge any trapped air, every 24 hours. This procedure eliminates any accumulated air-pockets, within the canister, providing you with maximum performance.
• Aqua-Stop Valves
– Unique “Click-fit” technology allows for fast set-up and leak-proof maintenance. The valves rotate 360 deg and are directed at 55 degree angles for easy positioning. The flow control allows you to regulate water flow, with no harm to the motor.
• Purge Valve
– Allows for partial discharge of debris, without disconnecting or opening filter. It can also be used to drain the aquarium utilizing the filter pump. This is beneficial on large aquariums.
• Multi-Functional Rim Adapter
– Innovative rim adapter easily secures hosing and fits most standard trims.
• Clog-free Strainer
– Heavy-duty anti-clogging strainer prevents blockage, even in a planted aquarium. Maintains constant water flow, even when covered with solid waste.
• Electronic Circuit Board
– Continuous monitoring of impellor speed and pump power ensures optimum output and efficient energy usage. Motor will turn itself off if impellor is impeded.
• Installation DVD
FLUVAL FX5 Media Options
• Fluval Foam
– Effectively traps and retains solid waste and particulates, allow biological and chemical media to function better.
• Fluval Carbon
– Research-grade carbon removes colors, odors and toxins from water.
– Porous ceramic rings that provide a huge surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize.
• Fluval Ammonia Remover
– Effectively removes ammonia before it can harm fish.
• Fluval Polishing Pad
– Screens out fine particulates
Aquarium Capacity: 400 gallons 1,500 liters
Pump Output: 925 gallons/hour
Mechanical Area (Foam): 325.5 in.2 2,100 cm2
Biological Volume: 1.5 gallons, 5.9 L
Filtration Volume: 5.28 gallons, 20 L
Filter Circulation*: 563 gallons/hour
Head Height (max.): 10.8ft
Wattages 120V/60Hz: 50W
*Note: Flow rates were measured with intake and output hoses of the same length and without media.
Product Features AquaStop Valves
The AquaStop valves make maintenance easy by allowing you to stop the water flow with an easy 90-degree turn of the valve lever. This means you can separate the hosing from the filter in one step. The valve lever can also be used to regulate water flow with no harm to the motor or its components. Three valves are provided: one for the intake, one for the output and one to be used to drain the filter under certain circumstances during the maintenance process.
Click-fit connectors are designed for quick set-up and leak-proof maintenance. You just push the intake and output assemblies (Aquastop valves and attached hosing) down. Once you hear the “click,” you know the connection is secure and watertight.
Lift-Out Stack of Media Baskets
The lift-out stack of media baskets is at the heart of Fluval multistage filtration. These large capacity baskets enable you to stack filtration media in the precise combination of layers that will work best for your aquarium. Use one type of media in each basket, or layer two or three types to suit your aquariums needs. Each basket is lined with a foam insert for effective mechanical pre-filtering. The instant-release T-handles let you lift, then separate the basket stack quickly and easily, making routine maintenance simple.
High Capacity Canister
The FX5’s compact, super capacity tank processes and re-circulates 563 gallons of water every hour and accommodates the stack of media baskets with their capacity of up to 1.5 gallons of media. Yet this enormous-capacity tank is short enough (21 inches) to fit under most large aquariums.
Key Features Multi-Directional Output Nozzle
The flared spout of the adjustable twin output nozzles sends multiple streams of purified water toward all corners of the aquarium, creating currents that agitate the water to break down wastes and help hold them in suspension until they can be drawn into the filter by the intake strainer. With more waste solids kept afloat, fewer settle, which means that bottom surfaces, and in fact the entire aquarium, is kept cleaner.
Clog-Proof Intake Strainer
The wide, rounded mouth of the FX5 intake strainer is shaped to siphon water quickly. Covered by a fine screen that’s beveled to repel debris, it is virtually clog-proof, so there is never a build-up of solids that could impede water flow.
SMART PUMP™ Technology
Designed and engineered for reliable filtration of delicately balanced aquarium environments, Fluval’s FX5 Smart Pump technology employs an electronic circuit board to continually monitor the pump. Impeller speed and force are constantly measured to ensure powerful output and energy efficiency. Smart Pump technology is also critical in evacuating any air that may build up in the system. Once every 24 hours, the filter will pause and allow any trapped air to escape, thus maintaining maximum filtration efficiency.
Self-Priming Instant-Start System
With the FX5, there’s never any need for manual siphoning. Simply fill the canister with 2 gallons of water, plug the filter in, then the filter will complete the filling process from your aquarium. It pumps for 2 minutes, pauses for 2 minutes to evacuate air then restarts immediately.
The FX5 canister features a purge valve drain at its base. This makes it possible for you to empty the canister for maintenance before moving it.
The Fluval FX5’s superior performance and capability are backed by Fluval’s well-earned reputation for the best fish and aquarium care. Hagen Aquatic Research Station certification is your assurance of the most up-to-date and reliable research in aqua-care science. The use of the Fluval FX5 will help provide your fish with the aquatic home they deserve. *The FX5 helps meet the desired objectives of any aquarium. For the best performance, the Fluval FX5 Filter should be placed completely beneath the aquarium.