Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on October 24, 2014
This is a great monitor/receiver for the Phantom 2. I put a circular antenna on the right side of the monitor which gives better reception. The dual receiver auto-switches to the antenna with the strongest signal or you could put two cameras on the drone. I wish it had an SD Card DVR inside it but there are alternatives if you want to capture video with the iSOD info included using the video out socket. A DVR comes in handy if you happen to lose the drone you will know the approximate location it went down. Some have reported the glare screen is flimsy but I haven't had any trouble with it staying on and one could hot glue it on if it's a concern.

From reading all the reviews I could find on the Net this is the best one I've seen or used.

Update 11/6/14: I am now using the DJI mushroom type antenna on the left and a "Circular Wireless HELIAXIAL58 Helical Axial Mode 5.8 GHz FPV Antenna" on the right along with the "FlySight 5.8GHz 32-Channel A/V Transmitter, 1.2W (TX5812)" transmitter with a matching DJI mushroom type antenna. All purchased here on Amazon. I replaced the DJI stock transmitter with the FlySight.

Definitely the way to go for further range but the high powered transmitter will cut into the flying time a bit. Before, I was starting to get video breakup at 800-850 meters (60 meters altitude) and now the video stays perfect further away but I haven't tested any further than 850 meters because I lose visual contact (Hey, I'm an old guy with poor eyesight). But once I have a "spotter" I will update this review again.

I really like this diversity receiver. The ability to use two antennas and the receiver using the strongest allows for more piece of mind when using a directional antenna like the "Circular Wireless HELIAXIAL58" antenna above which must be pointed directly at the transmitter's antenna. I believe the angle with this antenna is 15 deg. on each side or a total of 30 degrees.

Update 2/10/14: I was just getting ready to fly and was testing all FPV equipment and noticed the Black Pearl went off when I disconnected the charging cable. Took out the battery and checked it with a volt meter and it was only putting 2.4v so obviously it isn't charging. Checked prices and found a new battery was $59.95 here on Amazon so checked prices on the net and could only find it in a couple of places, Ebay for $45 and TroyBuiltmodels at ( https://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/SZG-RC801-BATT1.html ) for $29 each plus shippping. I ordered 2 of them and shipping was $14.96 (FL sales tax extra) which came to $36.48 each which was the cheapest price I could find.

Until I can further check into why this battery suddenly quit working (maybe charger is defective) I would recommend you watch the charge carefully and disconnect as soon as it is fully charged. LiPo batteries can be cantankerous if not charged and/or discharged carefully and I'm not sure if having to charge it while inside a device is a good idea. Also they say running one down to past 30% shortens their life so be careful.
on October 6, 2014
This monitor and built in diversity receiver work very well. I bought this item after researching and finding it has very favorable reviews. Like most people, I wanted an alternative for my Fat Shark Predator v2 goggles and this monitor has performed as expected. I have used it on very bright days and with the included detachable sun hood found that I am able to see the screen clearly. No Blue screen on this so when the signal weakens you only get snow till the signal improves. The built in LiPo battery is a huge plus and it comes with all the necessary cables to also be able to use an external LiPo in case the main battery runs out. The most I have used the monitor is for about 40 minutes of flight time and the internal battery has not yet run down.

I found that I can also use this monitor as an external monitor for my Canon 70D DSLR camera and works very well for that also.
on May 8, 2015
Ordered the item and everything arrived great, but come to find out the only way it would turn on is if I keep the DC power plugged in. The battery that came with it does not hold a charge at all, luckily amazon was amazing and provided me a credit to purchase a separate battery from another vendor to replace it. Hopefully, this battery works out of the box.
on February 12, 2015
This is a very high quality monitor. I read a lot of positive reviews before purchase and can see why folks are pleased with it. The sun shade is deep and works well, although a bit of a challenge to attach the first time. The adjustment buttons are solid and work well, although the scheme is a little confusing at times, ...well, actually, a lot of the time. Just takes getting used to I guess. The user manual is pretty much a train wreck as it is written in broken English from a Chinese translation. But there's plenty of information online on how to use this monitor. The picture is good, but even on "Bright" setting is difficult to see if you turn with the sun behind you shining directly on the screen. Don't expect too much from the stock antennas, but most FPVers will be upgrading these right away. Enjoy using this high quality build.
on April 9, 2015
The Black Pearl is a nice upgrade from my Boscam Diversity monitor, if only it worked properly...

Straight out of the box, I plugged in the monitor to get the battery charged. In the many hours of charging, I noticed was that the battery charge indicator did not reach above the first bar. I brushed that off and I was able to get a good amount of time from it on my drone flight the following day. A couple days later, I come to find out, while trying to charge, that my power adapter would charge or power up my monitor. (as a green light indicator would not go on if it was working). Had to order a new one before a job. I may have gotten a bad batch, but I would be cautious of these issues if you order one.

That is not to say you shouldn't get one. The design itself is quite nice. I do like the folding hood. My Boscam had a flimsy hood that I had to put on and strap on, which did not hold well. The menus are pretty easy to navigate through as well. I kinda wish there was an HDMI out, rather than in, however.
on April 29, 2015
Beautiful display, and very good performance. I installed upgraded antennas (stock antennas are useless). This is a must have item for Aerial Filming. The included battery and charger work just fine, and the battery lasts most of the day as long as you are disciplined about turning the screen off while not in use.
on July 1, 2015
The Black pearl is ok, just ok, image display is average, the issues I have is interference and occasional picture roll, I've tried changing bands and channels but still the same. Anyway as the title says for $229 I expect way more quality.
I know the majority of folk love this monitor but for the price it does have flaws.
on August 18, 2014
The sun shade is somewhat flimsy. One of the plastic tabs that is used to attach the shade to the screen broke during my first use. The screen work great.
on December 16, 2014
Battery didn't work. Unit only powered up when plugged in. Also didn't switch bands. It was stuck on "F" and didn't pick up a signal. Returned it, ordered the same one from another vendor and THAT one works as advertised.
on May 9, 2015
Works as described but the resolution is not that great, also gets static, and I'm use a high quality DJI transmitter and I don't believe its on the transmitter end. Generally speaking, I am happy with this product.