5.0 out of 5 stars Great first pogo stick
This is a great first pogo stick and my six year old daughter loves it.

I carefully read some of the negative reviews for the product before I purchased the stick and, as a mechanical engineer, can offer the following observations after several weeks of use:

Published on October 13, 2010 by hhkiwi

1.0 out of 5 stars This one is dangerous......beware!
We love active outdoor toys here. I bought this for my son (now 8) about 3 years ago. He LOVED it and had a blast daily with it. However, unbeknownst to me, the center bar has a cap on it that fell off. It is a simple plastic cap that covers up a plain old pipe. Who knew it could fall off?

Anyhow, one day my son was happily hopping and he stopped for a...
Published on December 16, 2006 by L. McGinley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first pogo stick, October 13, 2010
hhkiwi (Los Angeles, California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
This is a great first pogo stick and my six year old daughter loves it.

1. The hard rubber center cap at the top is secured by a screw and should not easily come off unless it receives a hard knock. I always make sure that the cap is still secure before I let my daughter use the pogo and asked her to stop using the stick immediately if it appears to come off.

2. Some reviewers complain that the stick is not suitable for smaller kids. My daughter weighs around 45 lbs and can comfortably use the stick. In fact, if she jumps hard she will bottom out the spring. The weight range given in the description of 40 to 80 lbs is in the right ballpark, perhaps a little optimistic toward the upper end, i.e. at 80 lbs the spring is likely to bottom out a lot.

So when some reviewers complain about smaller kids not being able to use the stick, the kids are probably new to pogo jumping. The parents lift them up and balance them on the stick, and when the stick's spring does not compress they conclude that the kids are too young for the stick.

What they may not appreciate is that the spring is not supposed to compress (or only very little) with a static load of 40 or 50 lbs. If it did, the spring would be too soft for jumping, i.e. dynamic loading. It took my daughter half an hour or so to work out that in order to start, it is not sufficient to just step onto the stick but necessary to almost jump onto it with one's full weight.

So don't be confused or discouraged by reviewers complaining that the stick may not be suitable for smaller kids. If your kid weighs 40+ lbs they will be able to jump and enjoy the stick once they have mastered the skill.

3. The design of the rubber pad at the bottom appears to have changed from the picture above of the red/blue stick. The pad is now fairly large and even after substantial use it is still securely attached.

Generally, the stick appears to be well made. I particularly like the foam padding which makes the upper part of the stick quite safe. The only minor downside is that the chrome plating of the bottom (inner) tube will wear off quickly because of friction between the inner and outer tubes (steel rubbing on steel).

Overall, we are very happy with the product and the price. With a bit of common sense and attention I am sure the pogo will last and give our daughter and her friends lots of fun.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 2012: After more than two years of use, the pogo stick is still in good condition and we never had any issues with it - and our daughter is not the careful type! Neither the cap at the top, nor the rubber pad at the bottom have come off or given us any trouble. I noticed that the foam padding hardened somewhat over time, probably from exposure to the sun, but it is still OK. Our daughter is now 8 years old and while she can still use the stick, the spring bottoms out regularly so we will have to get a larger one soon if she wants to keep up pogo jumping. I upgraded my rating from four to five stars because the stick has served us very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best money I have ever spent!!!, November 24, 2001
"tmtaylor@usit.net" (Dyersburg, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
My daughter received this for Christmas when she was six. She had never been on one before, so it took her a while to work on her balance and stay up on it. One jump became three, three jumps became ten, ten jumps became twenty five, and so on. With continued practice, her current record is over six hundred jumps without stopping. (Yes ---- she was exhausted afterward, but oh so proud of herself!!) This has been a wonderful toy, and well worth the $20 spent. Her balance has been incredible, and it's really quite a workout. She has had such fun competing against her old record jumps.
It is well-constructed over-all, but be sure to watch the rubber tip on the bottom if your child is a jumper like mine. She literally wore through the rubber tip without my realizing it, and the metal end of the stick had nothing to grip, once sending her flying onto the garage floor and hitting her head. Besides a goose egg she was OK, but she now wears her bike helmet to jump. (When I called the company they promptly sent me replacement tips at no charge.)
We have been very happy with this toy and are now purchasing the heavier Master Pogo since she's at the top of the weight range for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars jakes favorite toy, August 1, 2001
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
My son, Jake, received the pogo stick as a gift when he was five. It has become his prized toy above his scotter, bike, blades, etc. He is now almost eight and I thought would want a "better" version, but his pogo stick is irreplaceable: It is very durable and lightweight (we've taken it on many vacations) It is easy to manuever(he can jump over and around anything and for close to an hour with few stops). The other pogo stick is being returned and we're buying another of this version.

1.0 out of 5 stars This one is dangerous......beware!, December 16, 2006
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)

Anyhow, one day my son was happily hopping and he stopped for a second to tell me something. As he stopped, he lost his footing (my kids are freakishly agile too) and the uncapped center bar popped up and sliced his chin open. Blood spurted out everywhere. I found out later it's a vascular area (which basically means it bleeds alot). We were terrified and rushed to the hospital. I've never seen so much blood in my life.

It ends up it wasn't a bad or very deep cut but he got stitches. The company owner called concerned and with an apology after I emailed with our experience but I never got anything else (like an offer for a different pogo stick, even after telling him this one was going in the garbage).

I would never buy this particular pogo stick again. I am purchasing another one this year that does not have a center bar to pop up and hit a child. There are a few where that center bar morphs right into handles that go out to the side.

5.0 out of 5 stars please be aware, January 22, 2002
By A Customer
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
I too thought this was a fun toy for my child, little did I know! We have found out the hard way! Please be aware the rubber stopper on the bottom of the pogo stick comes off very easily, and is very dangerous when jumped on. My 7 year old was injured very badly!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Child Loves It, October 6, 2007
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Sports)
My child is 11, but very small for his age. The only thing he asked for as a birthday gift this year was a pogo stick, but since he is just under 60 pounds none of the ones targeted for his age would work well with his weight. This one works perfectly for him and he has used it daily for hours on end.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Sweet Pogo Stick, April 4, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
This is my first Pogo stick. It really helps you with other games for balance and especially with swings. I am only 7 years old and have it only two days so it is still hard for me, but I am practicing. Also this product is very nice colors and it feels nice to hold. I even got hit once and it didn't hurt because of the padding. I really like it

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional buy, February 9, 2007
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
I bought this pogo for my oldest daughter 5 years ago. It has been through 5 children, twice yearly block parties, being abandoned in the rain, and generally abused. It was still in great shape right up until last week when my 7yo left it behind my car and I ran it over. She is now saving her allowance to replace it with an identical pogo stick. It's perfect for petite children...the only one they've ever tried that they can actually get to bounce. One of the few toys they've used year after year.

Update:
The replacement pogo just came today. Although I was expecting pink and purple, the color is actually deep red and blue. This was neutral for me as we have girls and either color scheme works. This one looks even sturdier than the one I ran over. The frame is of larger diameter, it weighs a little more, and the tip is bigger and heavier. Good thing because I have 3 more kids behind the older ones who haven't yet sampled the joys of pogo-sticking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love to pogo, July 8, 2007
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Sports)
My son loves his pogo stick. His friend has one just like it and he learned how to use it before he got it. You have to use it a little bit to get the stiffness out. But once the bottom of the pole is greased up good the kids were bouncing down the street. Wonderful toy I highly recommend!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't jump!, March 31, 2005
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Toy)
My daughter is 50+ lbs. and can't make it jump. My husband took it apart and tried greasing the springs and it still is really tough to make it go up and down. Maybe we have a lemon? We're all disappointed and frustrated.

Flybar Foam Maverick Pogo Stick (Red/Blue)
$49.99 $37.99