‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying Solo, January 8, 2011
This review is from: Flying Solo: A Journey of Divorce, Healing and a Very Present God (Paperback)
I never cease to be amazed at Denise's transparency and willingness to allow her readers into her heart. This is a beautiful, at times heart-wrenching, window into Denise's experience and God's presence. I highly recommend this books for anyone going through a divorce, or any life-changing event. It is phenomenal!

5.0 out of 5 stars God is good, ALL the time!, January 12, 2011
I truly enjoy all of Denise's books, but this one is truly amazing to me. She is so truthful, and you can hear her lovely Southern voice as if she's reading it to you. Even those who have not gone through divorce can learn from these chronicles. It even has the potential to prevent divorces if we women learn from Denise's incites. Denise relies on the Lord for the right things to do and say. The book even includes homework and questions with each chapter, great for a study group. God is our ultimate Healer and Provider and Protector, and only He deserves that part of our heart. Kudos to Denise and all that she has taught me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for anyone needing encouragement, January 5, 2011
This book has been such a blessing to me. My 32 year old daughter was killed by a drunk driver on 8/18/07. If it hadn't been for my God, my family & my church family, I don't know how I would have survived. Although I have never blamed God, I have questioned why. Denise went through so many of the same emotions I experienced. I have not approached it in the same way she did. She has helped me see how much I need to get closer to the Lord. It would be so easy to just go into a deep depression. This book is just so awesome. Once you start reading it, you won't be able to put it down. Trust me, it's not only for people going through divorce. No matter what storm you are going through, it will be a help to you. Thanks, Denise, for opening my eyes to focus on God!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Jones, did you know you are a "Grief Counselor" ?, January 2, 2011
The title could have been: Flying Solo, A Journey of Grief, After A Death. How I wish I could have had this book to read in the fall of 2008, when I lost my precious husband to pancreatic cancer.

I would have known that I wasn't losing my mind when I felt physical pain in my body, as the author says,"pain screams, pain wails, pain is deafening".

I would have known that it was not odd when I "cried myself to sleep, my pillowcase soaked", night after night. I would have been better prepared for....."when the only clothes left in the closet were mine", as referred to on pages 16 and 17.

After everyone had gone home, I may not have become so hysterical the first time I tried to eat at our kitchen table without my husband. It's been two years, and I have been eating in the living room in front of the TV, ever since he died. See page 18.

One day in a phone conversation with my sister, I said I have no memories from the last 18 years that don't include my husband. The author put it so clearly when she said "you can't move on from your memories until you have new ones in their place".

There were days when I was angry with God, days when I could not find the words to pray, Sundays when I could not go to church because I could not focus. There were also days when my tears were greater than my smiles, days when I knew for sure that I could not live one more day without my husband. If I had read "Flying Solo", I would have understood that I was experiencing the many different stages of grief and what was sure is that God never left me, in fact, He was....very present. Page 24.

Even though I traveled out of state to be with family the first Thanksgiving and Christmas, I couldn't wait to return home. If I had read "Flying Solo", I would have understood that there would be this very strong "desire for the familiar". See page 26. Two years later I still always want to be in my home, where everything reminds me of him.

I could go on and on because my grief over the death of my husband, mirrors over and over again, the author's grief over the death of her marriage. The most significant similarity is that God walked with both of us "into every room we have entered". Page 73.

I didn't have "Flying Solo" to read immediately after my husband died, but I am thankful to Denise Hildreth Jones that I have read it, now, and that I can refer to it as I feel the need. It is validating my experiences and feelings and I agree with what she has said several times, "I am a widow,(my word),....and it is only a piece of my journey".

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the Divorced, December 28, 2010
I could not put this book down. Reading the excerpts from Denise's Journal...you were there. I bought the book because I love Denise's other books, not because I was divorced, but as I was reading I started relating to the feelings and emotions that Denise was having not from a marriage ending but finding her way through the idols she had put up before God. Flying Solo has made me think about what I put before God even my marriage or ministry. I really recommend this book to anyone that loves the Lord and wants a closer relationship with Him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggering combo: award-winning author writing from her life, December 14, 2010
Denise Hildreth Jones has written a staggering journal of the first year following the loss of her marriage:

"What do you wear to get divorced? That's the only thing that kept running through my mind.... Today I was looking for something that could be thrown away. Today I was choosing an outfit that I would never wear again, because it wasn't an event I would want to remember.

"As I began to pray [the next] morning, I spoke these words out loud and with as much determination as any decision I had ever made: `Satan, you may have stolen my marriage, but you will not rob one more day of my life.'

"Flying solo isn't about being alone; it is about living a life that may hurt at times, wound at times, betray at times; but it carries an incredible, unobstructed view of heaven and an opportunity to discover God in the middle of it."

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, January 5, 2011
How can one describe a book that you know has changed your life forever?.. I picked up this book, to read over the Christmas holidays, as I have read other books by Denise and knew I would love it. It was a divine appointment. Through tears, I read the trails and heart of a woman's journey through pain and loss, all the while running and hiding in the shelter of her Lord, refusing to become bitter.Pouring her heart, her pain, her fears , out to God as if he was her best and closest friend. I cried as she cried , I rejoiced as she rejoiced. I was in awe of her family that supported her so beautifully, and the friends that kept her close. I rejoiced when God so richly rewarded her faithfulness. I was so impressed that she shared her story with such reality, yet with integrity. This book made me realize that when life hurts, be it through divorce, death, disappointment or loss of any kind, you are not alone. After reading this book , I made it my New Year's resolution to "practice the presense of God in my life" each moment, to run to Him and know that I am never alone, to trust Him in all things, and seek Him first.

This book brings healing and hope to all who feel lost or lonely or confused about the next step in their lives. This book made me want to be a better parent, a better friend and brought healing and change to my own life. It also showed me that it is so easy to loose yourself in your world , but God calls us to be ourselve and to honor Him in all things, even our anger and pain.

Thank you Denise, for sharing your heart and pouring out your pain for all of us to see, so we can know that God is there with open arms to hold us and heal us when we are feeling lost and lonely, for showing us how to cling to Him when we feel like our life has fallen apart. But most of all , thank you for being real and a true woman of faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will change lives, December 30, 2010
I've been struggling to find the right words to write about this amazing book.

How does one give the proper weight and importance to a book that means so much to me? How much it has affected my life so positively and in such a short matter of time?

A week before Christmas 2010 I was desperate. The enormous range of emotions, up and down, up and down, that I was experiencing from my August 2010 divorce had left my life in a tailspin. One minute I'd be happy, the next crying buckets of tears; I thought myself crazy!

I had no expectations of a merry Christmas and it bothered me endlessly because I've two young girls to consider. I did not want to make their holiday bleak by my constantly fluctuating emotions.

Then one day, my mother and I happened into our local Christian gift store on the search for Christmas presents. It is a store that has been in our community forever, yet I've never stepped foot inside. I wandered over to the book section and was instantly drawn to this book.

What really snagged me was the first page, the introduction: "Grief has no etiquette. It is slobbery and mean. Obtrusive and inopportune. Smothering and rude. And it had taken up residence in every cell of my body."

I knew this book was meant for me by those words alone. This book is meant for so many people who are on the verge of divorce, who are in the midst of a divorce, who are done with a divorce but still struggle against the mountain of emotions that comes with it.

I read this book in about two days. I cornered nearly every page as they seemed to speak directly to me.

I cannot speak highly enough over Denise Hildreth Jones' honesty and amazingly strong, unwavering faith shared within the pages of this book.

In less than two weeks my life has been immeasurably changed, by a wonderful author who took a huge leap of faith in sharing a year's worth of emotions following her painful divorce. How can one thank such an individual enough?

If you are struggling with a divorce, please read this book and if you know someone who is struggling, get them this book.

No matter where their faith may stand, no matter where your faith may be, I truly believe this book will make all the difference. It is going to change lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Lifting, December 16, 2010
Inspired by Books "OPK" (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
From the first sentence of this book to the epilogue, I was gripped with the emotion of the author and her story as she told of her life the year following the finalization of divorce. But, more than her story, she seemed to be reading mine...and I've never been divorced. But my heart has been broken and wounded...and I am "flying solo." But, now I'm flying in the passenger seat as God takes the controls and we soar to His heights for me...His darling.

This gift is like a sweet healing balm. Or, if you're like the author, a tall Coke with ice anytime of the day!

WOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me in a dark journey, March 12, 2013
This book literally kept me from a mental breakdown. My daughter went through a divorce with someone that I loved like a son. It was such a betrayal of my family. Even though I wasn't divorcing, it felt like a death. Denise really spoke truth to me and this helped me get the feelings I had out so I could deal with them. it made me feel like I wasn't alone. Divorce is worse than a death b/c the other person is still here and you have to deal with the good and the bad with them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Flying Solo: A Journey of Divorce, Healing and a Very Present God
Flying Solo: A Journey of Divorce, Healing and a Very Present God by Denise Hildreth Jones (Paperback - December 16, 2010)
$14.99 $13.49