5.0 out of 5 stars Ruuu-ben!
So I'm driving to work on Tuesday, bawling my eyes out after hearing Ruben Studdard's "Flying Without Wings" and Clay Aiken's cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on the radio. And the DJ's are knocking these songs like crazy. Then the DJs take listeners' calls, and the listeners are knocking these songs like crazy.
And I'm wondering what kind of...
Published on June 10, 2003 by Steven Bailey

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought he was capable of more...
I was also quite disappointed by this CD... I was looking forward to hearing it but it just seems to be lacking that something that made him special on American Idol. It's too bad!
Published on June 24, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruuu-ben!, June 10, 2003
Steven Bailey "Cinemaven" (Jacksonville Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
And I'm wondering what kind of alternate universe I live in these days. Because when Studdard and Aiken were singing these songs on the last week of "American Idol 2," America was having the biggest TV lovefest since the glory days of the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Clive Davis, a record mogul who once launched some guy named Springsteen, came on the show and practically said he'd release these two guys' singles that night if he could. And here it is, only about a month after series' end, and the singles (both by RCA) are out this week--right along with the debut CD of Justin Guarini, who obviously didn't make friends with Davis at the end of "American Idol 1."
And, tragically unhip person that I am, I think the songs are beautiful. When Studdard (dubbed "the velvet teddy bear" by "AI" guest judge Gladys Knight) first sang "Flying Without Wings" on "AI," I could hardly believe my good luck. An old-fashioned, unashamedly sentimental song! With lyrics that make sense all the way through! Sung by a voice that seemed born to sing it! I didn't think music like this was allowed by law anymore!
As for Aiken's single, I don't know if Paul Simon approves of it, but it works just fine for me. The DJ who played this song accused it of bombast. No argument there--Aiken hits a CD-shattering note at song's end as though his career depended on it, and the harp player follows right behind him. And for some strange, maybe kitschy reason, it all fits together perfectly. (I also get juiced up when I hear the harp at the end of The Beatles' "Long and Winding Road," so I guess I'm not what you'd call a purist.)
These days, most music makes you feel out of it if you're not women-bashing with your homies at the local nightclub. I'll take the sentimental guys any day.

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought he was capable of more..., June 24, 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Superstar again? Flying without Wings okay., June 22, 2003
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
I truly enjoyed listening to Ruben during the AI2 season. My first complaint about this single cd is this, how many times do we have to listen to Superstar? I truly only purchased this cd because of Flying without Wings. The powers that be should have chosen another song for Ruben's single.
Flying without Wings: Well I was really looking forward to owning this song after hearing it on the final show. I wish they had used that live version.
I hope that whoever is producing Ruben's full album chooses songs and renditions of those songs wisely.

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING, June 22, 2003
mlnrge (MILWAUKEE, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
Flying Without Wings is a wonderful song........when sung by the British group Westlife.Do yourself a favor & listen to that version as well as Ruben Studdard's & SEE if you don't agree !As far as Superstar,I cannot say it any better than the Entertainment Weekly writer did ( THE LOOOOOOOONGEST 3 MINUTES EVER ). Could this single be anymore BORING ?????????

1.0 out of 5 stars It's so boring, I threw it away, June 25, 2003
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
I can't believe how bad this CD is - Ruben can sing but these are the worst versions of these songs that I have ever heard. Stick with Westlife's and The Carpenters' versions, it's painful to listen to Ruben's. They are sooooooooooooooooo slooooooowww and boring. I want my money back. I cannot believe they gave this material to the winner. Clay's songs are so much better - most likely explains why Clay's is selling so much better. Do yourself a favor - save your money and don't buy this CD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful? Amazing?? What's up with that?, June 21, 2003
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
I cannot believe I am reading reviews of these songs that say they are "wonderful" and "amazing." C'mon people, you can be a fan of Ruben's but you need to start listening with your ears! The songs are boring; he sounds like he wants to be home sleeping; and he certainly shouldn't be compared to Luther or Barry. Ruben is a nice guy; he has a warm smile; he sings okay; but, this CD is not worth 5 stars, and the songs are not wonderful or amazing.
Flying without wings is okay.
Superstar is awful.
I am being honest here. Don't spend your money on this, wait for his album, maybe he will have gotten enough sleep by then and be ready to give it his all. Let's also hope they put some pep in his songs, Superstar sounds like it's playing on the wrong speed...

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't care for this cd, March 19, 2004
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
I bought this cd thinking that Ruben would be able to sound much better with a professionaly recorded cd. It wasn't and I didn't care for it at all. His voice is much like that of Luther Vandross but a bit more gravely. sorry Ruben. I love ya but not your voice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Snooze, March 8, 2004
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
Could he sing these songs any slower? I can't stand to listen to him sing.

1.0 out of 5 stars flying without wings, June 23, 2003
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
I'm very disappointed with this cd. I was hoping the problems Ruben had in the last 6 weeks of the show (flatness, out of breath, poor range) would be corrected in the studio. Sadly, Ruben still has a difficult time coming up with the goods. In a word - this cd is boring!

1.0 out of 5 stars Brother's got charm with big smile, but terrible singing, June 25, 2003
This review is from: Flying Without Wings/Superstar (Audio CD)
My man is charming with his big, warm smile, but he can't sing. His range in very narrow and the tone is OK. The songs are boring and very monotonic, same thing over and over again. Very boring. His narrow range makes this CD just average. A good karaoke singer can sing just as well. Nothing special.

Flying Without Wings/Superstar
Flying Without Wings/Superstar by Ruben Studdard (Audio CD - 2003)
Rate and Discover Movies