5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 2D Platformer

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but has some serious issues
Published 8 months ago by Cole Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 2D Platformer, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Fly'n (Steam) [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This game has not gotten nearly the attention it deserves. It's easily one of the best games to come out of the "2D revival" that's been happening. Interesting, varied gameplay with 4 different characters, all with very unique skills. Great animation and beautiful visual style, plus one of the best game soundtracks ever. The kind of game where you turn out the lights, turn up the volume, and totally lose yourself in a wonderfully imaginative world. I don't think the soundtrack is on Amazon, but if you like it you can buy it as DLC on Steam. (note that I bought this game some time ago when it first released on Steam)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but has some serious issues, May 17, 2014
This review is from: Fly'n (Steam) [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
So the first thing I noticed about Fly'n was how pretty it was. Not only are the graphics universally pleasant, but the music is amazing and sucks you right in. The first couple levels were nice and relaxing, though playing on a keyboard quickly proved to be awkward because of the insane rate of speed my character would take off at whenever I pressed a key to move. Seriously--it's like Sonic the Hedgehog on caffeine pills, and I flung myself to death while trying to gently fall off of a ledge more times than I can count. I chose to look past that flaw, however, because of how great the music and graphics are.

A few levels later, my character was running from a rapidly-rising sea of red stuff that kills you instantly. The idea of timed stages, from early Mario games to now, has always sucked, but I forced my way through these anyway, my opinion of the game suffering somewhat for their presence and how frustrating they eventually started to become thanks to the awkward controls.

Then I started noticing hit detection issues. I was periodically recording video of the game, and when I went frame-by-frame, I started to notice that my character was "popping" (you don't just die in this game, but get sent back to a checkpoint unless you touch the sea of red stuff during the timed stages) when it was nowhere near environmental hazards. Now, I had already been forced to put a lot of this game's negatives out of my mind by that point, but inaccurate hit boxes in a modern game? That's borderline unacceptable. However, I continued playing in a desperate bid to get my money's worth.

The more you play, the more characters you unlock, and I eventually unlocked a character that bounces and destroys blocks (often at the same time). While the characters before this one were interesting enough, this thing handled like a drunk person inside of a tank and I found it incredibly difficult to maneuver it around. Nevertheless, I made it through a few stages. Then the inevitable happened: a timed stage with the rapidly-rising red stuff of instant-death that relies on precise jumps from the thing that's virtually impossible to control. If you hit the block you're supposed to bounce off of from the side accidentally--which is incredibly easy thanks to the game's inaccurate hit boxes--then it gets destroyed and you're left waiting for the red tide to come and kill you so that you can try again. And again. And again.

That was where I drew the line. I uninstalled this game and put it into my (mental) pile of things that showed promise, but that simply had too many glaring problems to enjoy. If you buy Fly'n, do it for the graphics and music because you may very well end up as disappointed as I was if you expect anything more out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome time!, November 24, 2013
This review is from: Fly'n (Steam) [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
What can I say other than what an amazing and challenging platformer! The colors are beautiful and the characters are adorable. That aside I suggest playing with a controller! It made the game leagues more fun and felt more intuitive than my computer (which is not often something I say .. unless they're bad ports.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of Pocoyo, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Fly'n (Steam) [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
to some degree, but the controls are not that easy. Good game. Interested to see if it's suitable for kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Fly'n (Steam) [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Fun game. Cool themes and colors. Glad I got it on the weekly deals special. Not much else to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 18, 2014