on December 21, 2012
First of all first: Let me tell you that I have an agronomist background so it is easy for me to analyze the simulation part of this game. On addition to that, I just want to say that this review is intended more for the developers than for gamers, including a list of things that need to be addressed in order to improve the simulation part of the game.
The game is very entertaining, the graphics are good enough, the logic is very simple and easy to understand but there are many things that have to be improved in order to be a real farming simulator
Instead of giving more information of the particulars of the game I recommend going to youtube and look for many gameplays to have an idea of how is this game.
Following is a list of the many things that the developers can address to make the game more challenging and varied:
* There is no weather difference. It is the same: winter or summer; or dry season or rainy season
* Only one environment, there are not desert environments, tropical environment, etc.
* Too few crops, nothing about: rice, sugar cane, cotton, soybean, any kind of fruits which suppose a different work (grapes, critics, apples and their kind, apricots and their kind, olives, etc.) any other crop worldwide cultivated.
* All the crops are cultivates identical when in reality different crops need different treatment
* There is no need weed control (not very realistic)
* NO need of formulating fertilizers (this depends on the crop)
* NO pest control (come on! since biblical times there is the need of controlling bugs and of course different bugs for different crops)
* No disease control
* No rain or artificial irrigation (technified or traditional). No advanced irrigation systems
* No weather disasters (droughts, floods, storms, "el niño" weather disturbance, monsoons, tornadoes, frosts, etc.
* There is almost no need of ploughs, and this is nonsense, a cultivator is almost never enough.
* No soil differences, these impacts in the kind of crop and the irrigation (acid soil, salty soil, sandy soil, clay soil)
* There is no practical difference among the tractors (with the exception of fuel consumption), so you can buy lots of the cheap ones and you will be ok.
* The size of each piece of land is small with only 4 exceptions
* There is always the need of driving from one part of the map to the other, there could be a kind of driving directions
* The PDA gives very limited information
* After a time the game becomes very repetitive
* The poultry part of the game is too simple, poultry is much more than having 4 chickens in a corral.
* The tractor can be stuck between trees or anything in the field very easily and you are doomed
Including these recommendations does not mean to make the game impossible to play for begginners or people with out any knwoledge of agriculture. the tutorial can explain very well the cicle of the agricultural process and be more speciffic than they are in the game

In addition to this list, in my opinion, the game need something like achievements to eliminate the repetitiveness of the game as for example, new crops when you have more experience, better yield with experience, new machines that appear in the market. The idea is that the game can change and develop having different things to do for the player
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2012
I used FS 2011 for hundreds of hours. It was good but it wasn't great! FS 2013 is much better. When you set up a hired hand to take a tractor/implement the program aligns it with the field. Great improvement. The real nice feature is the new implements and items added by Giant that load flawlessly. I've tried several sdown load sites and it's harder than FS 2011 download placement. It does work at times, but mostly doesn't. I haven't tried the easy or hard mode, but chose the Normal mode. It's hard but far more realistic than FS 2011. The milk production income is harder to read and mowing grass seems spotty. Would have been nice to see hired workers to drive fertilizing, mowing so we would have better time to haul harvested crops. The horseshoes gathering is not worth the effort. Hard to find and no where as good as the bottles in FS 2011 which were difficult enough.

Overall, great to have the new version and I look forward to many great hours running the farm.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2013
I don't know how good this game is, because we never got to use it. Here's the problem:

I purchased this download for my son, a young teen. That was fine. I downloaded it to my son's computer, where he and other youths in the family play games. As a reasonable precaution on a Windows XP computer, the kids use a restricted account, so to install the game, I had to log in under an admin account. Reasonable, right?

I install the game and launch it to see if the installation was OK. It launched and the game showed that it needed an update, so I downloaded the update and installed that, too. There was apparently also a free mod that could be downloaded, but I had no luck with that. So I moved on.

I logged out of the admin account and logged in under the restricted kids' account. I try to run the game, but it's asking for the registration code again. What the heck? I enter the registration code and it doesn't accept it. OK. What now? I go through a variety of troubleshooting moves, thinking there might be something going on with the installation. I think maybe the permissions are wonky, so I change the kids' account to admin. No luck. I try other things, such as uninstalling and reinstalling, and reinstalling under the kids' account. Still asking for a code and not accepting it. And now it's asking for a code even under the original admin account.

So i call Amazon. They tell me that the game allows only one user registration. All they can do is refund my money. Apparently I used that one registration up in the first install and am not getting it back.

So I'm thinking, what if I needed to change computers in a couple of months? What if the hard drive goes out? I'd have to repurchase another license?

(Got the CD version and it has its own problems, but that's for another forum.)

Seems to me that a company that makes its product too hard for regular users to use doesn't have its users' best interest in mind. I'd prefer to spend my money on companies that want to give users a good experience.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2012
Played Farming Simulator 2011 before this... and this is better! The graphics are good, and there are a bunch of free downloadable machines, tools, attachments, maps and such available! Great little game!
on November 29, 2012
I love simulator-style games, and I thought I'd give this one a try. I never played any of the previous versions. It was after watching several "Let's Play" videos on YouTube that I decided that I wanted to try it out for myself. First thing I did was go into the game setup and change the keyboard controls around to make it more comfortable, and then I was good to go.

I'm glad I watched the YouTube videos first; the .PDF documentation that came with the Amazon download seems kind of sparse. The ingame tutorials helped, but I got lost on one of them. Luckily someone made a YouTube video on that as well.

I still haven't tried the Multiplayer settings yet. I've discovered that my friends get offended when I start making demands that they come and work my fields and milk my cows, but I keep trying. Anyway, despite the learning curve and reluctant friends, I find the game relaxing and fun.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2013
i love this game play it all the time got multi farms running! its a fun game great for kids as well learning values and how a market works! only flawis tractors tend to get stuck on trees in some feilds if you have a hired worker running it. but hey other then that its a huge fun and awesome game
on June 25, 2013
I found this game to be fun and addicting ! Especially as a farm simulation I expected it to be boring and annoying but it was a pleasant surprise !!! Good Job !!!
on May 2, 2013
It wouldnt download on my computer and amazon told me to try putchasing it again but they didnt refund me the second time even tho i asked them too
on November 29, 2012
I bought this game for my 14 year old son and he loves it. He had the 2012 game also. Amazon is where I found the best price and at the time about the only place I could buy it. I recommend it.
on January 3, 2013
Great game otherwise, but amazon should tell you what games work in steam and which ones don't. This is pretty inconvenient.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...