Most helpful critical review
52 of 62 people found the following review helpful
on December 21, 2012
First of all first: Let me tell you that I have an agronomist background so it is easy for me to analyze the simulation part of this game. On addition to that, I just want to say that this review is intended more for the developers than for gamers, including a list of things that need to be addressed in order to improve the simulation part of the game.
The game is very entertaining, the graphics are good enough, the logic is very simple and easy to understand but there are many things that have to be improved in order to be a real farming simulator
Instead of giving more information of the particulars of the game I recommend going to youtube and look for many gameplays to have an idea of how is this game.
Following is a list of the many things that the developers can address to make the game more challenging and varied:
* There is no weather difference. It is the same: winter or summer; or dry season or rainy season
* Only one environment, there are not desert environments, tropical environment, etc.
* Too few crops, nothing about: rice, sugar cane, cotton, soybean, any kind of fruits which suppose a different work (grapes, critics, apples and their kind, apricots and their kind, olives, etc.) any other crop worldwide cultivated.
* All the crops are cultivates identical when in reality different crops need different treatment
* There is no need weed control (not very realistic)
* NO need of formulating fertilizers (this depends on the crop)
* NO pest control (come on! since biblical times there is the need of controlling bugs and of course different bugs for different crops)
* No disease control
* No rain or artificial irrigation (technified or traditional). No advanced irrigation systems
* No weather disasters (droughts, floods, storms, "el niño" weather disturbance, monsoons, tornadoes, frosts, etc.
* There is almost no need of ploughs, and this is nonsense, a cultivator is almost never enough.
* No soil differences, these impacts in the kind of crop and the irrigation (acid soil, salty soil, sandy soil, clay soil)
* There is no practical difference among the tractors (with the exception of fuel consumption), so you can buy lots of the cheap ones and you will be ok.
* The size of each piece of land is small with only 4 exceptions
* There is always the need of driving from one part of the map to the other, there could be a kind of driving directions
* The PDA gives very limited information
* After a time the game becomes very repetitive
* The poultry part of the game is too simple, poultry is much more than having 4 chickens in a corral.
* The tractor can be stuck between trees or anything in the field very easily and you are doomed
Including these recommendations does not mean to make the game impossible to play for begginners or people with out any knwoledge of agriculture. the tutorial can explain very well the cicle of the agricultural process and be more speciffic than they are in the game
In addition to this list, in my opinion, the game need something like achievements to eliminate the repetitiveness of the game as for example, new crops when you have more experience, better yield with experience, new machines that appear in the market. The idea is that the game can change and develop having different things to do for the player