4.0 out of 5 stars hot and bright!
if you need light and don't have deep pockets is a great three light setup. I would purchase some kind of diffusion or plan on bouncing the light off a wall or reflector.
Published 13 months ago by Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done at an affordable price
UPDATE FEB 2014
***************
Published 18 months ago by finaldraft151

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done at an affordable price, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Focusable Spot and Flood Light 2400 watt lights Constant Continuous Video Studio Film 3 Barndoor kit HR-3 (Camera)
UPDATE FEB 2014
***************
After all things considered I think I got lucky with these lights; all 3 still function but the 'preventative' measures to ensure they stay that way is a pain and should not be a constant issue. I had them almost a year, used them quite often and I'd say I got my moneys worth out of them - However it seems that as cheap as my set is, they've gotten worse based upon recent reviews and personal experience with other similar sets. If you're in need of a tungsten lighting package on a budget, I'd recommend skipping these in favor of a Tota or Omni lighting kit by Lowel - No bandwagon jumping hypocrisy here; I got these because I needed a quick and cheap tungsten setup that I could use/abuse and not lose sleep over. Low price and $3 overnight shipping sealed the deal. I wasn't expecting much for the price but I was actually surprised that they lasted as long as they have.

For the new breed of DSLR film folk or anyone looking to expand their lighting arsenal (or start one) I wouldn't recommend them. Not when you can buy a good used set of Tota lights off Ebay for around the same price as these. As more and more productions shift towards cooler lighting solutions the market is getting flooded with older hot burning tungsten kits, so scoring a Lowel kit in like new condition is your best bet. One 750 Lowel Tota light with a gel and some "Tota Shades" will outperform these monsters in terms of quality and personal safety. If you need cheap tungsten, by all means this kit will deliver (assuming it functions as it was intended) but if you want quality and a kit that will deliver for years to come without an overhaul every time you need to light something, skip these. After a good tuneup, I donated mine to the local AV class for use (probably should of signed a release of liability) and I use my Lowel tota/omni kits when I need a tungsten source.

Okay Folks;

Hopefully this review will be beneficial; I needed a quick and cheap tungsten kit fast so I bought these for general use in my photography and video work and was naturally skeptical based upon the multiple negative reviews of similar lights. (the general complaint seemed to be the issue of heat, smoke, cheaply made units, lights burn out quick, poor or no customer service, etc)

These lights are definitely not ARRI lights. However they aren't just cheaply made scrap either. You get what you pay for is the general consensus on most things, but don't let the cheap price scare you off. I wish I could afford a nice ARRI kit, but, well since most of can't these lights are the next best thing.

Yes they smoke. At first. (most lights will smoke when they're first fired up) - A simple remedy is to wipe down the scrim and barndoor with a mild cleaner and rag (windex and an old t-shirt are fine) to get the excess oils off before you install them for the first time. I also have learned that it is best to fire them up outside for the first time, that way the smoke isn't a bother. Another plus of testing them outdoors are if they are in fact defective, should they ignite into fireballs, you lessen the chance of burning down the house when you're outside.

Heat: Yes, they get VERY HOT - Lights get hot and these are no different. I didn't notice an excessive level of heat from these vs other more expensive models from well known manufacturers; That's why Grips where gloves when handling hot lights.

The units themselves are strong and durable for the price, and the output of light is VERY STRONG. They will light up a large area with no problem and provide an excellent source for strong key or as a backlight. I used them to mimic strong mid-day sunlight through a window and the results where great.

Gels: I figured the heat would turn my Lee Gels into soup within seconds but the gels hold up to the heat, even when I attached them directly to the barn doors. No problems with CTO, CTB or Diffusion. However I found that they aren't as forgiving with the party gels - It did warp my Crimson Gel after 30 mins of use, but so far they are great for use with standard color correction gels and diffusion.

If you don't use gels, the lights can still be bounced off a ceiling or reflector, but they are harsh and will need some softening unless you're aiming for that harsh lit look. (they are great for monochrome photography when you want a nice strongly lit subject)

The cords are long (a nice plus) and the switches are durable and lit for easy spotting on a dark set. I really don't have anything negative to say about them. Yeah they aren't as pretty as ARRI's or Lowel, but they are perfect for the independent guy on a budget. They look better than the DIY PVC Pipe/work light combo too (not that there is anything wrong with DIY) so if you're trying to weed out your homemade stuff, these are a good alternative and may or may not be as good or better than your home depot project, depending upon your lighting needs.

Since the above was a general pro/con narrative I will touch base on what I think the biggest cons are with these lights;

CONS

No DIMMER on the switches - The ability to dim these lights without having to use a separate dimmer would make them perfect.

They get very HOT so they can't be used too close to anything flammable, however that's not just an issue with these lights in particular - Unless you're using a nice cool bank set up, prepare to feel some heat - Especially from a tungsten or halogen light source.

Lightstands: They're cheap and not very durable. Every discount lighting store in the world seems to get their stands from the same third world supplier, and they are not the best of quality. Great for indoors. Outdoors? Well, as long as there is NO WIND you're safe. Sandbagging is not a good option since the sandbag usually just bends the cheap supports on the light stands. I use better stands and keep the cheap ones on standby for shoots when I need a stand but don't care if it gets damaged.

My biggest issue with these lights:

The BARN DOORS - They're well constructed and durable but they have one flaw that can really handicap the light:

You cannot angle the light down onto a subject or area with the barn doors attached. That is an issue if you need to mimic any overhead light - It's an easy fix that requires you use a different method to mount the lights. I just use a C Stand with an extension arm and this fixes it, but not everyone has spare stands laying around so other hardware or improvisation will be needed.

I hope this helps. I've used them daily since I got them and so far the bulbs are holding up, nothing has caught fire, they don't smoke or give off fumes, and I am happy with them. I would advise anyone in the market to shop around though. These lights are sold all over the internet and the price can fluctuate greatly. I would not recommend using these lights with any type of a softbox - Although if you're in the market for softboxes for your existing lights it would be a good idea to get these lights in a kit with softboxes if the price is right.

Things to consider: Will you need 3 of these lights? Do you already have stands? What about other fixtures? I bought 3 because I shoot indoors primarily at night and these turn any interior into bright noon with no problem. Do you need that kind of light? It's cool to have on hand, but most of this stuff can be rented if need be rather than bought and never used.

Will update this review as I get more use out of them or if they fall apart within the next few weeks. So far, so good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Constantly Burning Out Bulbs, January 14, 2014
These lights are terrible. At least two are now completely inoperable because the ceramic bulb holder has exploded. We go through bulbs every other hour. Amazon should stop carrying them before someone burns their house down.

4.0 out of 5 stars hot and bright!, July 24, 2013
Thomas (Kyle, TX, United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Bulbs Burnt Out Immediately, July 31, 2013
I'm so disappointed in these lights. After much consideration, I decided to purchase them for a small shoot. Two hours in, two of the three lights burnt out. We had to cancel the rest of our shoot. Very frustrating. I can understand that these lights are cheap, but silly me, I thought that they would at least last more than a couple of hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Focusable Spot & Flood, February 21, 2013
In general very nice. Two of the bulbs blew out the first time they were plugged in, much to our dismay. Having replaced them, the lights give good service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off 40 Minute bulbs blown fuses broken dimmers, April 29, 2014
Wow, I feel so violated. I bought a set of these and found out bulbs last about 40 mins TOTAL. And yes I used rubber gloves to install then it aint my first rodeo. Fuse blew at nine bucks a replacement bulb. This is a rotten deal.

They look great with the soft boxes I use them on my studio rack for a "Pro" look but they are junk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, April 4, 2014
Bulbs blow fast and blow out fast but perform as expected. Very worth the price, just be ready to buy replacement bulbs. Don't leave these lights on too long, they will smoke and burn.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont Purchase, March 27, 2014
Two of the lights worked for 10 minutes and blowed....Buying these lights is NOT a good idea... You Get what u pay for

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, March 26, 2014
I've learned my lesson when it comes yo buying cheaper video/photography equipment. The bulbs burn out fast. Two of the lights will go out periodically. One of the light does not stay sturdy on the stand. The first day I got the lights, the case ripped a huge hole in it! When you look for equipment, you may be a little tight on cash, but make the investment and get the better product! You'll be happier in long run.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE!!!, February 20, 2014
I purchased these lights thinking they were going to get the job done. First day of the shoot, right out of the box only one tungsten light worked. I was so ashamed, and pissed off. I'll keep my thoughts professional, but beware, DO NOT PURCHASE THESE LIGHTS….THEY ARE COMPLETE GARBAGE!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›