Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on July 22, 2010
I went to Turkey in June 2010 with the 2009 edition - and it's out of date! The all-important Istanbul Tramway map is super-obsolete; the tram now goes much further and this is a city that's very easy to get around in if you know the tram route ....

It hardly mentions the absolutely glorious Mosque of Suleyman the Magnificent, doesn't even put it on the list of things to see.

There is absolutely NO mention of the wonderful area called Ortakoy - under the Bosporus Bridge, by the ferry stops, which is a popular hub for night life, chock-full of pubs, seafood restaurants and a place where Turks AND tourists flock to each night. The scant maps of Istanbul don't even show it, as it is a little bit outside the Historic Center of the City (but within walking distance of the Dolmabace Palace).

None of the four-star hotels that I stayed in all over Turkey were even listed in any of their hotel lists, so obviously they only put hotels into the book that PAY to be included....

The book's coverage of the Grand Bazaar was acceptable, but every guidebook covers it in depth.

I'm guessing that FODOR's just took the old version of their guidebook and reprinted for the 2009 printing.

The DK Eyewitness Guide (which, thank Goodness, I also had with me) is FAR FAR SUPERIOR - and more readable. I chucked the FODORs in the hotel garbage at the end of my trip.