4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Choruses Hold Together Folie A Deux's Madness
Published on December 16, 2008 by HuskerDog

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced limited edition
There's that pride of ownership, a prized collectible, that's why so many of us hunt down these rare limited editions and add them to our collection. It's fun, you've got that special little 'no one I know has this' prize going.

Published on November 11, 2009 by G. Fuller

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Choruses Hold Together Folie A Deux's Madness, December 16, 2008
HuskerDog (The Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Folie Deux (MP3 Music)
Fall Out Boy is perhaps the one band that most defines what alternative punk/pop/emo rock is to today's record-buying public, with 2005's From Under The Cork Tree and 2007's Infinity On High garnering massive commercial success. On Folie A Deux, their 5th studio album, they've honed their formula for success and crafted songs that, to my ears, should satisfy core fans and newcomers alike.

On the majority of these tracks, the experimentation and mixing of musical styles and genres occur on either side of a very strong, melodic, mainstream rock chorus...in other words, F.O.B. has at least one section of every song they can hang their hat on; it doesn't seem to matter how far they stray from the 'conventional' approach to writing a rock song, at some point in each track you will hear familiarity (great sounding choruses).

The record's production is very "BIG"-sounding...typical F.O.B. trademarks, like multiple layers of vocals with plenty of "Whoa's" and "Oh's" and chants, tight harmonies, and great variety with instrumentation seem to have been emphasized...but I wouldn't necessarily say it's overproduced. Even though the arrangements can get a little 'busy' at times, Pete Wentz (bass guitar, lyrics) and Patrick Stump (vocals) somehow make the chaos work, and we end up hearing some very creative, interesting, and catchy music.

The first track, "Disloyal Order...", has about 4 different 'verse' sections, including an organ-based opening and a guitar chord progression reminiscent of The Who's "Teenage Wasteland", before it even gets to what might be considered the 'chorus'. But with each listen, this song just gets better and better, and I feel it's one of the album's best tracks.

On "America's Suitehearts", the verse gives you no clue as to the powerful, melodic rock chorus that follows it, and the album's first single, "I Don't Care", based on another classic guitar riff, is probably the most straight-forward, radio-friendly track. "What A Catch, Donnie" is a slower, piano-based, dramatically produced song that I find very moving. The first eight tracks are all solid, along with "Tiffany Blews" and "20 Dollar Nose Bleed".

The inclusion of what I consider to be 'just average' songs ("27", "w.a.m.s.", "West Coast Smoker") is the only reason I drop this from 5 stars to four; otherwise, I feel Folie A Deux is top-notch, and I would definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panic! at the Fallout Boy, December 16, 2008
Storylover (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Folie Deux (Audio CD)
I want to start by saying that this is a very enjoyable album, but Folie A Deux finds our heroes, the emo kings, embracing their melodic sensibility a little more tightly than some of their long time fans might like. Piano chords (!) can be heard ringing through at times, and power chords are occasionally left to linger in almost power pop fashion. To be sure, crunchy guitars with plenty of fuzz still are apparent, but the tunes are toe tapping, sometimes downright pretty, and definitely very catchy. Wentz's base is insistent, slamming its way around the melody line, sublimely funky, and backed up by a stomping rhythm section. Instrumentation is actually a little adventurous, and the entire affair brings to mind Panic! At the Disco's "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" more than just a little bit. Personally, I think that is pretty high praise, but I'm not sure that everyone who loves Fall Out Boy is going to feel the same way.

The stuff you have come to love is still here, never fear. Patrick's ever shaky vocal charms are the centerpiece of most of the songs. He sings, whines, pleads, and then boldly slides all around his range, which appears to be widening over time. He is more confident here than before, and that says a lot. He takes a lot of chances vocally, with some impressive harmonies and generally very strong vocal lines. I think that this album is his most listenable performance, but once more, I know that not all Fall Out Boy fans want things to be too listenable.

From a lyrical perspective, it has always been a little hard to know when Fall Out Boy are telling us like it is, letting us in on what is really on their hearts, or when they are throwing out blythe redirects as facade for a deeper hurt that maybe they don't want to reveal. "I'd promise you anything for another shot at life" Patrick says, voice full of sincerity on the outstanding opening track, and then he elaborates--"Imperfect boys with their perfect ploys/Nobody wants to hear you sing about tragedy." Interesting lyrics for one of the biggest names in emo.

Ultimately, then, I love this album. I confess that I've always enjoyed the melodic poppy side of Fall Out Boy, so this album is actually everything that I have hoped from them. It is going to disappoint a lot of fans, however, who wanted a little more screaming, a little more fast guitar. To them I say, with respect, please give this album a chance. There are definitely some raw moments, and they guys have not forgotten where they come from. The album should grow on everyone who is really willing to give this band a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Fall Out Boy album!, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Folie Deux (MP3 Music)
Folie a Deux is Fall Out Boy's least popular album. HOWEVER, it is also my favorite from Fall Out Boy and #2 on my all time favorites from any band or artist.
This record was very closely involved with Patrick Stump, the singer/guitarist of the band. I hate calling some people better than others, but I think he is extremely talented.
"Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes" starts the album off with a catchy, memorable chorus that makes me want to sing at the top of my lungs.
"I Don't Care" is like a little rebel song, as suggested by the title. With its blues guitar riff and a nice beat to clap along to, this song was the most popular song off the album, and I can really see why.
"She's My Winoa" is a sort of fast-drummed out song. It sort of carries a lot of the vibe that this record holds as a whole, and that vibe is really... different. That's probably why the album didn't really take off. However, I really like how Patrick tried out a completely different vibe than the public was used to.
"America's Suitehearts" is my favorite off this record. I don't know why, but I'd describe this song as the kind of song that wants to make a statement. It's about how the media can take what makes you YOU and throw it out of the window and destroy you.
In "Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown," Patrick gets to show off how deep his voice is. It has a sort of hard-rock-ish verse and chorus. The part after the chorus (or is that the chorus and the part before it is the pre-chorus?) softens, with a piano playing the chords. Great song.
"The (Shipped) Gold Standard" is absolutely wonderful, in my opinion. I wish i could just say that for all of the songs and it would make sense, but sadly, I cannot. The message of the song is pretty clear in the chorus. "You can only blame your problems on the world for so long/before it all becomes the same old song"
"(Coffee's For Closers)"... can I once again say that this is one of my favorites? It has a really good beat to it. It's another one of those songs that makes you want to sing at the rest of the world as loudly as you can. "I will never believe in anything again/I will never believe in anything again!/Oh change will come, oh/change will come/I will never believe in anything again!"
"What A Catch, Donnie" is that one song off the album that makes you just cry your feels out. It's a piano song with recognizable lyrics - "I've got troubled thoughts and the self esteem to match/what a catch" - and... should I just explain my initial reaction to this song? When I first listened to it, my first thought was, "well, I bet I'm going to be crying my eyes out by the end of this." The key changed for the chorus and I got goosebumps all over. I started freaking out a little bit at the sheer awesomeness of it. After the second chorus, I was reeling a little bit by the overwhelming amount of feelings. Then it referenced back to "Headfirst Slide..." and I mouthed the lyrics along in awe. Then the chorus came again and I felt my eyes wet. The ending of the song references back to all of Fall Out Boy's hit songs, and I was freaking out because I knew all of them. I couldn't stop the goosebumps (which were extremely strong now) and i think one or two tears came.
I was sitting in the back of my car and my parents didn't notice.
"27" is kind of different than the rest. It was one of my favorites the first time I heard the album. It's sort of a little bit dance-y. The guitar part is very repetitious, but it is also very catchy.
"Tiffany Blews" has one of my favorite Fall Out Boy lines starting it out. "I'm not a crybaby/I'm THE crybaby." This song makes me forget how unpopular this record is. I'm really not sure how I like it so much, but the beat is sort of jazzy, so that might be a part of it.
"W.A.M.S" stands for "Waiter Actor Model Singer." Pete Wentz, the bass player and lyrics writer of the band, came up with the title, so he's probably one of the only people on Earth that knows what that means. It sounds completely different from the rest of the album, sounding a lot more rock-ish with a much more distinctive guitar/bass line. Ooh, I love it so much.
"20 Dollar Nose Bleed" is a FOB fan favorite. Patrick Stump recorded the vocals with Brendon Urie from Panic! At The Disco. However, it's pretty hard to tell for someone who doesn't listen to those two bands as much as I do, since their voices are very similar. It's a very bright and happy song and it makes me want to dance. It's also very fun to sing to :)
"West Coast Smoker" is another one of the songs on the album that sounds rock-ish. Debby Harry is featured in this song. It's sort of sounds like a moshing song to me.
Wow I'm almost done.
Overall: FANTASTIC ALBUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Fall Out Boy Album, October 19, 2011
Of all the albums Fall Out Boy has released, this one hits way at the top on my list. I love this album so much because Patrick really lets loose in it. He sings the way that I love best. He sounds so powerful when he sings. It kind of sounds shameful to call it singing really; it's more like speaking with a melody. It is unfortunate that this is the last album to be released before the "split" of the band. For those who do not know, Fall Out Boy is "taking a break", kind of like Ross and Rachel from Friends, I hope that they plan to get back together for one more tour before they completely disband, but the band says they are not broken up just doing their own thing. I know Patrick has his solo project right now. He just released Soul Punk, his solo album, yesterday, October 18th, 2011. It was amazing if you guys want to check it out. I know the rest of the band has their own projects, but unfortunately I don't know what they are called. Thanks for reading my review and I hope I was helpful to someone.

My favorite songs form this album:
.She's my Winona

.The "I" in Lie
.This City

4.0 out of 5 stars Subduing the Fall Out, September 7, 2009
This review is from: Folie Deux (Audio CD)
Minus the kinetic energy of Infinity on High but still driving home the massive hooks they're known for, Fall Out Boy goes for the maturity prize on "Folie A Deux." Given that their pals in Panic At the Disco couldn't survive the change that created Pretty. Odd., it's interesting to note that the maturity seems tentative. There's the glammy lead off single "I Don't Care" and a string laden power ballad, "What a Catch, Donnie," but the sounds you'd expect come through on the harmony laden "America's Sweethearts" and the semi-pretentious song titles.

What's missing is that funky sense of exuberance that marked "Infinity" and From Under the Cork Tree. Just because you can get Elvis Costello to sing a line on one of your better songs and get the Neptunes to produce a track (the otherwise un-memorable "w.a.m.s.") singles more a shark jump than capturing artistic cred. Just ask The Hives, who made the great Black And White Album with Pharrel Williams only to see it vanish like their previous albums did. FoB are big enough to not worry, yet, but the somewhat subdued nature of "Folie A Deux" begins to raise the questions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced limited edition, November 11, 2009

So when I heard about this, I jumped on the idea, until... Plant part of it? Gee, why not just, I donno, rip up money and use it as mulch? Well, surely there's something extra on the CD, but no, it's a poster and an envelope for an extra $30, or $10 if you got it during Amazon's special sale.

What a letdown. Still a good album - if you don't have this one, get it, plant the envelope and, well, don't know what you're doing with the poster - maybe recycling it into a greeting card for your grandmothers? Hey, that's $5 there at least, so it's starting to turn into a bargain... Just don't get annoyed that the Best Buy edition has five more tracks, or the new UK Deluxe edition's got seven more.

Thanks, but, well, no thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Sound, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Folie Deux (Audio CD)
Folie a Deux is FOB's cd that seems like a more refined Infinity on High. They have a different sound, of course, than when they began with say, Take This To Your Grave, but it's really not as bad a sound as some people may tell you. The style is a bit different, but it's FOB and you've got to love it in whatever form it comes out. Don't forget to get the bonus track (a remix of American Suitehearts) by inserting your cd and going to the website)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Contrary to what many believe, it's actually quite good!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Folie Deux (Audio CD)
I am an old school FOB fan, back since they started up and I fell behind on getting the new album, but once I got it, I'm glad I gave it a try. The songs grow on you after a couple listens and they have all the parts of old songs that once got you hooked on Fall Out Boy, Great Chorus lines, anthem like progression, and great intensity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wentz may have the cred but Patrick has the pipes and melodies., January 15, 2009
This review is from: Folie Deux (Audio CD)
This release has taken me by suprise. By all accounts I should be not digging this. But I do, alot. The melodies are here in abundance and almost every song on here has a over the top(in a good way) chorus that blows you away. YOu cant deny the hooks on this record. Its not punk..Its pop but there is nothing wrong with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 4, 2009
This review is from: Folie Deux (Audio CD)
I can't bring myself to take Folie a Deux out of my c.d. player. It's all I want to listen to since purchasing the C.d.

Folie  Deux
Folie à Deux by Fall Out Boy (Audio CD - 2008)