Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Folk Singer Vol. 1
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 20, 2014
If you are a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show, Gillian Welch , David Rawlings or just the old style of music you will love Willie Watson. This guy can play and sing like nobodys buisness and the depth and emotion in his voice is undeniable. YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!
on May 6, 2014
In a review below somebody says "a far cry from ocms", I frankly would've been disappointed to have purchased this a album and heard Willie Watson trying to do ocms solo or try to recreate their sound in any way. I do like that he carried on what ocms did with reviving traditional or classic roots music songs. The guitar, banjo, and vocals on this album are wonderful. I would highly recommend this album to anyone who likes folk music. I like the direction Willie is going with his solo career and I can't wait for a follow up already!
on May 8, 2014
This is just wonderful...beautiful! Gorgeous vocals, banjo and guitar. Willie has brought to life these wonderful old songs, breathing life into them with his own sublime style. If you are already a fan you won't be disappointed. New to Willie? You will be hooked! I do hope he makes his way to Scotland soon!
on May 15, 2014
As a huge fan of Old Crow Medicine Show, I've basically been sulking ever since Willie left the band in 2011. Old Crow remains together, but when I saw them live last year (although I still enjoyed the concert) I realized that something was "missing," and that "something" was Willie. The band just isn't the same without his talents as a guitarist and vocalist.

When I heard he was releasing a solo album, I was excited, but not quite sure what to expect. At first listen, I was immediately hooked. This is a true solo album with the simplicity of guitar, banjo, and vocals. It's clear that Willie isn't trying to recreate the sounds of Old Crow, nor should he. This album is excellent in its own, unique way, and his vocal performances are very much reminiscent of his Old Crow days.

In my opinion, the better tracks are the guitar tunes, with Midnight Special, Mother Earth, Bring It With You When You Come, and Keep It Clean being my standout favorites. I doubt you'll be disappointed with a single song.

Any fans of Old Crow Medicine Show, or generally fans of folk, old time, and bluegrass music should buy this album. You won't be disappointed.
on May 12, 2014
If you are a fan of Willie's you will not be disappointed. His voice is amazing, sometimes haunting, sometimes soulful. The songs are quiet and real; nothing pretentious or forced. If this is the direction Willie's career is going post OCMS, then he made the right decision to go solo. Can't wait to see him perform live in a few weeks. Many of the songs are traditional but none sound tired or "old".
on May 18, 2014
i was privileged to see Willie Watson at the 2013 Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion & he was awesome. Unfortunately some idiots behind me were talking through most of his set so this recording is my salvation, containing many of the songs he did during that show, notably Rock, Salt & Nails. His version rivals Rosalie Sorrells, which is the highest compliment i can offer. Thank you thank you thank you.
on June 29, 2014
I heard the first cut from this collection of music on my favorite radio station, WNCW on the internet and immediately ordered it online. It has become my "new favorite" and I'm eagerly awaiting Volume # 2 ... This CD get high marks from this reviewer.
on May 15, 2014
My grandpa would have loved it. Just honest talent, no way to fake it, hope he makes it down south. I would love to hear him live. Rock salt and nails is an awesome cover.
on May 18, 2014
I was surprised by his mastery of the clawhammer banjo and his ability to fill up the space by himself.
on November 22, 2014
Absolutely superb! Formerly with Old Crow Medicine Show, Willie Watson is a young artist who sounds like a 1940's blues roots ancestor. Great songs, amazing voice, all done in the simplest of ways. My vote for the best album of the year. I hope there are many more coming from this artist.