Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 1, 2005
All children want to have security, and they love animals. I'll Follow the Moon by Stephanie Lisa Tara is about both.

On a serene, quiet sandy beach a baby sea turtle breaks free from its egg and begins the journey to find home and mother, all the while saying, "I'm coming, Mama, I'll see you soon. I know just how...I'll follow the moon." And follow the moon to Mama is exactly what the baby sea turtle does.

The simple words and gentle rhythm makes this a wonderful bedtime story. It is soothing and subtly conveys the message that Mother will be there for the child. The watercolor illustrations are solid, yet soft. They beautifully portray the beach and sky in an inviting way that adds to the soothing nature of the book.

Armchair Interviews says: Not only is this a wonderful story for parents to read to their little ones, but it is a book that grandparents will welcome as they care for their grandchildren. I'll Follow the Moon can help them assure their beloved grandchildren that their parent's absence is temporary. It is a lovely book that will be read and reread.
on May 8, 2006
I stumbled across this book quite by accident, and I found it to be a treasure. The verse is lovely and calm, as are the illustrations. It also depicts fairly accurately a remarkable natural phenomenon. As a new mom who longed for a child for many years and eventually adopted internationally, I found the symbolism achingly beautiful. I have since given the book to several friends who have also waited for their children to find them. This book is far too beautiful to be limited to the adoption genre, however. It is very meaningful on a number of different levels!
on September 22, 2015
I'll Follow the Moon - 10th Anniversary Collector's Edition by Author Stephanie Lisa Tara

As mentioned by Author Stephanie Lisa Tara in the Foreword to her book, she was inspired to write "I'll Follow the Moon" shortly after the birth of her daughter. One evening, while sitting outside for her newborn's feeding, she spotted "baby turtles streaming out of hundreds of small nests" making their way out to the sea. Inspired by the remarkable bond she has with her own infant, this lovely children's book about baby turtles and their mother's ensued.

Many adjectives are used to describe the events from beginning to end with the "click, clack, tap"...to the cracking open of the turtle eggs as the newborn begins its journey from shell to sea. The pages of this book are in soft pastel colors with the moon softly glowing in the evening sky. The arduous trip a turtle takes to make its way out to sea and the swim he enjoys upon arriving at his destination is a sight to behold. What fun!

Inspirational Author & Book Reviewer ~ Dolores Ayotte
Growing Up & Liking It: More Steps to a Happier Self
on July 8, 2012
I am a grandmother who has always loved children's books...in fact, ever since I was a child! I love to read aloud and have read aloud to people of all ages and even for Recording for the Blind. I said those things to show how excited I was to see this book available for downloading onto my Kindle for free. The pictures are sweet and I wanted to love this turtle. I did love the concept of him and the one repetitious line in the book. The other words were just a disjointed mess with no rhyming or anything to redeem them. Even with adding fun voices, it seemed a little pretentious because there needed to be more words to follow them and give them meaning. I felt melodramatic like an actor overacting the part just to make it more interesting.

Even before I downloaded the book, I sent a link to my daughter (a mother of six) so she could read and review it. I hope she has a better review than I've given. I don't understand how it could win so many awards and not inspire me past the cover and concept. I hate having to give it only two stars! I would have had to give it only one if it weren't for the illustrations and the repetitive warm and fuzzy line. If the author hadn't asked us to review it for being able to get it for free, I suppose I would have walked away without reviewing. Maybe I should have. I mean, as long as people are getting it for free, who cares if it's a good book? But since the price may change, I'm going to review it, anyway. Reviews of books and art are so subjective, along with most of life...so if you don't like my opinion, I'm sorry but it is what it is. I won't judge others for liking it and I hope you won't be too offended by the fact that I didn't.
1717 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2014
I'll Follow the Moon is a beautiful introduction to poetry for children ... and adults!

"Moon" weaves the true story of turtles being born on the beach (and starting their journey to be with their mothers) into light and lyrical prose. The main verse explains how the baby turtles will find their mothers: "I'm coming, Mama, I'll see you soon. I know just how ... I'll follow the moon."

The story follows the turtles, step by step, into the unknown world. It shows how, together, they make their faithful leap into the ocean to be with their families. I love that author Stephanie Lisa Tara takes her time unveiling the turtles from their shells. It adds to the anticipation and magic of the event.

Tara was at home with her newborn baby when she witnessed this incredible migration of turtles. This makes the story particularly touching and relatable to those of us who remember holding our own new born children and grandchildren. The soft blues and tans of Lee Edward Fӧdi's illustrations are in perfect harmony with Tara's sweet and simple prose.

Children will love the repetitive line about following the moon. I could picture myself snuggled up with one of my grandchildren reading this story to them. I could hear them saying the line along with me. I believe a child will not only learn about the turtle migration, but also about the magic of poetry. After reading it, I felt inspired to read (and maybe write) more poetry myself.

Highly recommend this book for children.
on April 3, 2014
I agree with a few others that, for me, the colors are very subdued and the text sometimes blends with the background. However, I am a persistent person and with some effort could read the book! (This was for the Kindle app on a tablet)

I am glad I did. Despite being hard to see in some places the text itself is very easy to read. By that I mean the lyrical quality of the book is clearly meant to be read out loud. Even reading it in my head I found myself reading with a melody.

This is clearly a romanticized version of the truth and baby turtles do not find their mothers, but I am OK with that. I often teach the version of Hansel and Gretel where they get lost in the woods instead of being abandoned by their father and mother. Hopefully this book inspires children to love animals and later in life study biology to learn the truth about the baby turtles journey!

EDIT: I have received a paperback copy and it is much easier to read. PLUS I really enjoy the teaching ideas and relevant information that is included at the end of the paperback book. If you are persistent or have great eyesight the ebook is fine, otherwise the paperback is much easier to read. Regardless, both tell a soothing story about the quest to connect with your mother.
on November 2, 2015
What an adorable little book! While my love for sea turtles may make me a little bias, the book is a great little entertaining story that also teaches children about sea turtles! Wonderful illustrations will have you out wanting to fight for these little guys as you fall in love with them!I'll Follow the Moon - 10th Anniversary Collector's Edition
on July 25, 2014
I have been a sea turtle lover for as long as I can remember. They fascinate me to no end. I have looking for ways to get my sons to at least like and respect them. I came across this little gem on a day that I needed some uplifting. I ordered it immediately for my Kindle.
I read it to my youngest son, 14 months old, just after it loaded. He loved every word. He smiled and clapped and squealed when baby turtle found Mama. My oldest son, 5 years old, heard all the fun and came to see what was going on. He asked me to read it to him. All three of us read this story together. And as soon as it was over, we read it again and again and again and again. That first night, we read it 8 times. It is now the bedtime story request.
I received a hard copy of the book a few days ago. I immediately sat down with my little guy and read it to him again. I think that he loved it even more because he was able to turn the pages himself.
I love this book. I love the way that my boys love this book. I will absolutely start including a copy of this book with baby shower and birthday gifts. Every child needs to have one.
on April 23, 2014
The illustrations were great! The poem didn't rhyme - turtle never did find it's mom but did make it back to the sea. The story was interesting but not that great. Good bed time story for wee little ones but only if they even knew what a turtle was!
on July 7, 2015
This beautifully illustrated children’s book begins with images of the waves reaching up to shore and the emergence of eggs…and then an eye…as the words describe this little creature cracking its way out of its shell, all the while thinking…

"I’m coming Mama…I’ll see you soon…I know just how…I’ll follow the moon…"

This picture book follows the hatching of turtles as they make their way to the ocean and to their mothers.

Proceeds from book purchases go to turtle foundations.