1,339 Reviews
 (1,057)

5.0 out of 5 stars Following Atticus - A Wonderful Book!
Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, And An Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is one of the most delightful books I have read in a long time.

Published on September 20, 2011 by The Literary Lioness

3.0 out of 5 stars Feel good book
The story is sweet and the transformative power of love comes through clearly. Makes me wish more of us had the courage to reconnect with nature, animals and - ultimately - ourselves.
Published 22 months ago by Isabelle M. C. Yeterian

5.0 out of 5 stars Following Atticus - A Wonderful Book!, September 20, 2011

Atticus M. Finch, partly named after the hero lawyer in To Kill A Mockingbird, is a Miniature Schnauzer who changes Tom Ryan's world. Tom's life publishing a muckraking newspaper in Newburyport, Massachusetts is only partly fulfilling. Tom loves his work but is lonely and his life has no real direction. Tom's mother died when he was seven, and he is not close to his father and eight siblings.

Tom had acquired a Miniature Schnauzer, Max. When Max died, Tom was determined to get another dog of the same breed. Tom looked at dozens of photos emailed to him from the dog breeder, and he chose Atticus because he was different. Little did he know just how different Atticus would prove to be.

One day Tom and Atticus went hiking with three of Tom's brothers in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, where they had spent some vacation time as children. Atticus proved to be a natural born mountain climber. When Atticus reaches the top of a mountain, he would sit and gaze at the stunning scenery around him.

The experience was so enjoyable that Tom and Atticus return to the White Mountains on a regular basis. At first, Tom and Atticus start to make a habit of climbing the mountains because they enjoy the tranquility and peacefulness. They also love being together and share a very strong bond, Tom always holding Atticus in his arms after they reach the top of a mountain.

When a friend of Tom's dies of cancer, however, Tom decides that they will climb all forty-eight of the four-thousand-foot peaks twice -- in the winter -- to raise money for cancer.

Tom and Atticus brave blizzards, Lyme disease, and incipient blindness to conquer the mountains. Tom also starts to become closer to his elderly father through his mountain-climbing, something that his father appreciates because of his own love of the mountains.

As word spreads about the mountain climbing dog and the overweight, middle aged newspaperman, Tom and Atticus - especially Atticus - become media stars. When confronted with tragedies and near-tragedies, will Tom and Atticus persevere?

This has immediately become one of my favorite books. I am a sucker for animal stories, and I have read many mountain climbing books. This is my favorite. There were times I was laughing out loud at some of their adventures, and other times when I cried.

If you like animals, you will love Following Atticus! Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond a 10 star review, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Following Atticus: Forty-eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship (Paperback)
I purchased Following Atticus for my Kindle and I loved reading it. My daughter purchased it for her Kindle and we read along together exchanging notes. We laughed, we cried and we laughed some more. I purchased other books and had fun reading them but Atticus kept coming back to mind and when I was diagnosed with cancer in August I decided to read Atticus again. My loving caring sister doesn't have a Kindle so I purchased a paper back version of Atticus for her and we are reading the book together. I am getting so much more out of it this time than the first time because now I can relate to the cancer part. I am being treated by the Dana Farber Cancer Ins. in Lebanon and the Norris Cotton Cancer center in Keene. While reading the book again I feel like Atticus. I told my sister we can conquer the cancer just like Atticus--taking the journey of the highs and lows . What an inspiration that little dog has given me. His courage and his determination is unbelievable. I Love Him. Tom you are a wise man and you have renewed my faith. Thank you Tom for all of your charity work and for your beautiful and touching description of how you raised such an amazing dog. Atticus was so very lucky to have you or should I say Fate brought you two together and you have made a better world for all of us that have read your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Following Atticus, a tale of love, survival and triumph., September 24, 2011
Peter J. Riley (Newburyport, MA USA) - See all my reviews
We here in Newburyport (our fair city) have been very fortunate to be featured in three wonderful books recently. The first was Joel Brown's superb murder mystery "Mirror Ball Man," next was Andre Dubus' celebrated "Townie" and next up is Tom Ryan's "Following Atticus." Newburyport residents know Mr. Ryan as the provocative editor of the local political journal "The Undertoad." He was reviled by some and loved by many for his intrepid news reporting and his courageous stands against authority and power. Mr. Ryan and "The Undertoad" were by turns smart, petulant, insightful, caustic, sentimental, enormously funny and ALWAYS worth reading. In the days of "The Undertoad" you truly could not be considered "in the know" about Newburyport if you had not devoured the latest issue.
Those of us who got to know Tom Ryan knew he was a fine writer, great storyteller and immensely witty. Much like our local son's Joel and Andre, Tom simply knows how to write. In what I trust will be the first of many books, "Following Atticus" is now available. Newburyporter's will certainly delight in his characterizations of our fair city and his observations of some of its inhabitants, both named and un-named.
"Following Atticus" is best described as a memoir that really reads like a novel. As I got further into the book I would often forget that I knew Tom and much of the story and find myself just enjoying the craft, wit and heart of his storytelling. The core of the book is Tom's relationship with his amazing little dog Atticus and their adventures hiking in the White Mountains, but the story begins to unfold as family elements come into play and you soon realize that what you are really reading is a tale of redemption and discovery. About a third of the way thru the book my wife asked me how I liked it and I told her with great authority that; "I didn't care what Tom said, this is a dog book." Of course about 50 pages later as the book deepened and opened up I had to eat my words; this was certainly not a "dog book" or a "hiking book" but a great story. In the way Moby Dick is not a "whale book"
Tom had succeeded in using his hiking quest and his friendship with this little dog to tell a much grander story about love, survival, fear, change, dysfunctional families, and of course small New England cities. Like all great writers he uses the colors of his simple story to paint a much grander canvas about life itself and he does it with a quiet skill and artfulness of a fine writer. So it will not matter if you love dogs, or care anything about hiking or the White Mountains, or live in a small New England city this book will draw you in with its heartfelt tale of love, survival and triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little Giant, September 20, 2011
Robert Connolly (Newburyport, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Following Atticus is the real life tale of middle-aged newspaper editor Tom Ryan and an extraordinary and lovable miniature schnauzer named Atticus M. Finch. Facing questions about his life and following the death of a beloved friend, Ryan and Atticus set out to climb all forty-eight of New Hampshire's 4,000 foot peaks, twice, in the winter, to raise money for cancer. Can an overweight, tough-as-nails reporter and his twenty-five pound companion accomplish what most think to be an impossible quest? What follows is a series of remarkable adventures, covering the cannibalistic, mean streets of small-town politics to the treacherous, icy conditions of wintry mountain top terrain, which will test not only Tom and Atticus's endurance but the bonds that tie them together.

The adventures that Ryan and Atticus share together will delight, entertain, and inspire. Ryan writes with such passion and enthusiasm about his love for the mountains, the relationships between fathers and sons, the inner workings of small-town politics, the loyalty of friendships, and one man's unique relationship with a dog known as "the Little Giant". Rising above the plethora of dog books on the market, the story told is ultimately about one man's transformation as he seeks to understand his place in the world and the little dog who guides him on that journey. After getting to know Atticus, the reader will want to follow him as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars BigT73, September 20, 2011
This book is amazing. From start to finish. Tom and Atticus take you on an adventure through their lives and the struggles many of us go through. I also was fortunate to get an advanced copy. I can't thank Tom enough for writing this book and sharing his life with us. I too connected on so many levels with Tom and Atticus and what they've dealt with. Do yourself a huge favor and buy this book. You won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away by Following Atticus, November 11, 2011
I won't try to summarize the story for you at all; you can find that in many other reviews right here. And for full disclosure, I'm an avid hiker of NH's White Mountains where a lot of this story is set. Have followed the author's blog for a bit over a year, but still didn't have much of an idea of what to expect in the book.
It blew me away. Easily the best book I've read in over five years. Gripping, totally captivating. You're right there on the trails with them, in downtown Newburyport, at the vet, etc. I never got bored with this story; blasted through it in two sittings. Now want to go back and read it again. Many levels and layers to the story Tom Ryan puts together, so one reading is just not enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars just read it, September 24, 2011
K. Steward (New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
I don't have lots of flowery things to say except just read the darn book! You won't be disappointed. I am fortunate to have Tom and Atti living in my town and can see them daily as they go about their business. I will now have a new found awareness of them both when I see them. As I read the book, I'm cuddling my own small dog companion closer and thinking about every hike I ever took, especially any with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not another dog book, September 22, 2011
Before reading 'Following Atticus' I highly recommend watching the video trailer to hear Tom Ryan's voice. He is a wonderfully soft spoken articulate man who has a great gift of story telling. I had the privilege of meeting him and Atticus on his book tour and reading while envisioning his voice telling the story adds a great element.
Following Atticus is not yet another book attempting to follow suit with the explosion in the human - dog phenomena. Nor will you once think 'Oh, another crazy dog person'. Rarely, if not at all, does Tom refer to Atticus as his dog. Atticus and Tom truly are friends and companions. One could easily read the book as if Atticus were a small mute friend.
This is a wonderful heartfelt story of a man who, like many of us, finds not only himself but who he has always wanted to be through the simplicity and innocence of Atticus M. Finch and his love for nature.A once bitter man is able to find compassion and caring more about the things around him. He is able to look back on his life and face things that have always been there but tucked away.
Honestly, a lot of the book is leaving me perplexed thinking over and over "But dogs don't act like that" or "How and why is Atticus doing these things?" An overweight man and a 20 pound dog hiking up 4000+ feet once to 3X a day in blistering cold, snow, and winds. How do they do it? They just do. That's what makes this book so great. Never does Tom embellish the truth or make it out to be overly dramatic.
The point was for Tom to tell a story, not to write a book. It is a story I am exceptionally glad he shared. Read it. You will be very glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm ready to follow Atticus wherever he goes, September 29, 2011
Tom Ryan is a gifted story teller and this book is for anyone who likes to read a good story. I wouldn't classify this as a hiking book, nor is it a dog book -- it's a story about friendship. I certainly hope Tom and Atticus have more stories to tell. I'm anxiously awaiting their next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will follow Atticus anywhere!, September 23, 2011
Started following this story through Facebook and hiking websites. Such an amazing story! Had the pleasure of meeting Tom and Atticus at the book launch party. I took my copy home, and had read it cover to cover in two nights. Very good read, will connect with hikers, dog lovers, and anyone that loves a good story! I was bummed when I finished the book and looking for more! Would love to see some sort of follow up to Tom and Atticus' adventures. My 13 yr old is reading it for a school report, and also can't put it down. Definitely pick it up today, you won't regret it!

$15.99 $12.10