From the Publisher
This training manual covers every aspect of restaurant customer service for the positions of captain, waiter or waitress, and busser, written by two people who helped to make the Tavern on the Green one of the most successful restaurants in New York. The performance of each position is described, step-by-step, for different types of restaurants.
From the Inside Flap
Your restaurants success depends partly on treating your customers well. This isto many a restaurateurs surpriseeasier said than done. Superb customer service is as much a fine art as a magnificently prepared meal. Food and Beverage Service is an essential guide to all aspects of food and beverage service for restaurant managers, owners, and personnel. Written by two of todays top experts, this invaluable book offers vital information on:
- Professional serving techniquesprocedures for loading, balancing, and unloading trays. Plus, correct serving methodsincluding the differences between American, French, and Russian service styles.
- Advanced showmanship serving techniqueshow to flambé; how to carve meats, fish, and fruits; and how to create a wonderful Caesar Salad.
- Advice on setting an elegant tablewith tips on everything from folding napkins properly to creating attractive, striking centerpieces.
- Tips on explaining and selling the menuwhen to suggest side dishes that complement the meal. And why servers should always sample the daily specials.
- How to prepare effective, trouble-free service stationsincluding advice on setting up sideboards and booster stations.
- Order-taking etiquettespecial hints on topics such as how to determine whose order to take first and how to get customers to order quickly when the restaurant requires a fast turnover.
Food and Beverage Service is ideal for restaurateurs who pride themselves on first-class service. Step by step, it shows you how to make every guest feel as if he or she is the most important person in your restaurant.