5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information very clearly written for beginners
Food Grown Right In Your Backyard : A Beginner's Guide to Growing Crops at Home by Colin Mc Crate and Brad Halm is the next step for people who've started on the path to a more self-sufficient lifestyle and want more information on growing food at home.

Published on May 14, 2012 by Shala Kerrigan

3.0 out of 5 stars It is for TOTAL beginners
I was tempted to give fewer stars, but to be fair, the cover does say this is a beginner's book. But for example, they explain that the edible part of lettuce is its leaves... The bulk of the book just seems to be general gardening advice that's not particularly well laid out or organized.

Also, as I live in the NW, I bought it because I thought the...
Published 4 months ago by amy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information very clearly written for beginners, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)

It's written for beginners and has detailed information about how to grow vegetables, berries and some fruits. It's written for the serious beginner who really wants to learn a lot more. Rather than being about how to maximize growing area, this is more about how to grow food.

It starts from the very basics, choosing the place and size for your garden, figuring out which areas get the most sun and how much space you have to work in and how best to work in that space, containers, or a simple raised bed. Then it goes into soil, explaining how to test soil, and how to add things to it to make a better growing medium. In depth information about different compost types and how to maintain compost are helpful for people who want to start composting. They also talk about where organic fertilizers can be helpful. There is also a lot of detail about irrigation, crop rotation and climate. They explain how to use row covers, build trellises and other structures for things that need support.

Then it gets into the types of plants that people are most likely to grow with lots of information about how to grow them, the various troubles that particular plant can have and how best to harvest it. Lots of detail helps you decide what you're willing to do and what you might not want to start yet because of the time investment.

There is also a wonderful chapter on troubleshooting.

I really recommend this for people looking to step up their home food gardening.
[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. My reviews are always my honest opinion]

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST RESOURCE for setting up a backyard veggie garden, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
THIS BOOK IS THE ONLY RESOURCE YOU WILL EVER NEED. I've been dying to set up a backyard veggie garden, but had no idea how to lay out the beds, how to prepare the soil, how to select plants for my climate, how to start the seeds and transplant them, how to fertilize...and then I found this goldmine of a book. I get so overwhelmed trying to look up gardening guides online and was so ecstatic to find a book version that literally contained ALL in the information I was looking for, wihtout being intimidatingly long. The lay-out of the book is really easy to follow and gave me great suggestions on every detail. I also really love how it helped me form a plan and guided me though all the different steps. Another nice detail is that they make it easy for people with no space for vegetable beds to start a container garden...I lent this book to my friend who lives in an apartment and she was stoked. I now have my beds ready to go and my little seeds germinating...I can't wait to transplant! Fledgling gardens who want to grow their own food NEED to have this knowledgable book. Plus, the two dudes who wrote it are so handsome...happy digging!

5.0 out of 5 stars The all in one guide for urban farming, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
I bought a house in Seattle about a year ago on a 3,000 square foot lot. Last Summer, we installed a chicken coop. This Summer, we're taking the next step and starting our first garden.

A lot of beginning garden books gloss over important topics and don't really give you a true playbook to get started. Food Grown Right starts with building a garden. I found the best spot in my backyard that had the most sun from beginning to end of the season. I considered the options for creating beds including mounds, raised beds, or containers. I followed the instructions to build three cedar raised beds including buying, cutting, and assembling the lumber.

One of my favorite parts of the book is the month by month guide that shows you what you should be doing. In March, I'm really just doing prep work to get the garden in shape. All this weeding and cleaning will pay dividends once the planting season begins. Each month is also outlined with what to plant and what you should be doing. For each plant, there's a section of the book that goes into details on how to tend for the plant. Another neat feature is what you'll learn by planting. For example, corn needs to be planted close to each other so that they'll pollinate by the wind.

Most of my other garden books are put back on the shelf. I have my "Food Grown Right" book next to my garden tools. It'll be my Spring and Summer playbook. Highly recommend this book to help you get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practical Detailed Guide, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
I found this book to be extremely helpful because it covers everything in great detail but keeps it simple. It provides a number of great ideas that a novice or even experienced gardener would not think of using.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best info for NW gardeners especially!, April 4, 2013
Aaron Anton (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
We leave north of Seattle and I can use this book and apply everything about when to plant and when to harvest from this book. If you do not live in the NW, you'll get a lot of info on how to set up your garden, big and small, how and when to fertilize, descriptions about plants and what they can teach you, and also plant problems and what to do when you have pests in your garden.

All is very well written and you get lot's of informative pictures too. I use this book as a garden bible especially since I always have issues with when to fertilize and how much.. Buy with total confidence!

3.0 out of 5 stars It is for TOTAL beginners, February 25, 2014
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)

Also, as I live in the NW, I bought it because I thought the month-by-month scheduler would be especially relevant. But it's very light on detail. I recommend Maritime NW Gardening booklet put out by Tilth if you're looking for a great monthly task list.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal guide, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
I wish "Food Grown Right in Your Backyard" had an equivalent in all areas of life that I need a reference book/guide for. It is the ultimate resource book for beginners all the way through to the most advanced gardeners. With the help of this book I was able to set up my first garden in my yard and eat from it all summer long. My mom, who owned a landscaping company for years and is very knowledgeable in this area found the book very useful too and keeps it close by as a reference.

The best part about the book is how accessible it is. You don't feel overwhelmed by the information, yet there is everything you need to know right there, neatly formatted and laid out. The amazing pictures really help illustrate and inspire.

Whether a gift or for yourself, I think everyone needs a copy of this book in their home!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Reference for Urban Gardeners, May 27, 2012
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
I was very impressed by the quality of this book. Brad and Colin clearly have a great deal experience and knowledge about growing food, especially in the northwestern United States, and it looks like they've tried to share it all! The book caters to a wide range of experience; It is a suitable introduction for beginners, but the reference sections probably have information that would be new to most seasoned gardeners.

Stylistically, the book keeps things fresh by moving between between different ways of addressing the reader as the material dictates. Sometimes, the book is textbook. Other times, it is a series of anecdotes. Still other times, it is a Socratic dialog. For me, this made the book a lot easier to read and kept my attention through information that could have been easy to overlook.

The latter half of the book is more of a reference, making its way through dozens of plants and pests, and giving solutions to many common garden problems.

Visually, the book is beautifully laid out and Hilary has done a fantastic job with the photography, which appears on nearly every page.

As an amateur gardener, I'm thrilled with this book. My gardening books from the 80's are nice, but it is great to have a modern urban gardening reference from people who clearly know their stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow your own food no matter what size yard you have!, May 10, 2012
J. Kercher (Spokane, WA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
This is a great, very informative well done book on growing your own veggie garden and more. Easy to understand, well organized, great "tips" sections that are very helpful.
The photos are not only beautiful but useful. I have been gardening for nearly 40 years when I came across this book. I was stuck by the clear and complete format of this book. It addresses every aspect of gardening from preparing your soil, composting, planting, details about plants, pests and disease and so much more. I found it to be a worthwhile book to add to my garden book collection and I've learned some new and valuable information. In my opinion this book is not just for beginners but for ALL gardeners.
I love the idea and "how to" that McCarte and Halm promote in this book that ANYBODY, no matter what size yard, deck or space you have you can still grow your own food!
Growing even a few of your own crops is a rewarding and fun experience and this is a great book to help you accomplish that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for beginning gardeners, April 22, 2012
This review is from: Food Grown Right in Your Backyard (Paperback)
I really like this book. It's organized well and has useful two-page summaries of every garden plant I can imagine growing. What's especially nice is that the book provides interesting background information on why plants produce vegetables and why different plants need to be treated differently. The authors really seem to care about gardening and helping people get more enjoyment out of their gardens.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Food Grown Right in Your Backyard
Food Grown Right in Your Backyard by Colin Mccrate (Paperback - April 2, 2012)
$24.95 $19.13