5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book
I have read some of the reviews of this book and some say this is a great book and others say it's for beginners and too basic.
Published on April 4, 2012 by Papsi

2.0 out of 5 stars very basic
Be aware that this is a pretty basic food photography book. Almost all the lighting setups are the same for the most part. I've shot food a few times before and this only had a few new things to help me out. oh well, live and learn.
Published 15 months ago by wasuck

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, April 4, 2012
Well, I am a professional photographer also and I got a lot out of this book. What I got most out of this book was the ideas of styling and propping. I also got something out of looking at the lighting setups and ideas. I just skipped the basic stuff.
The areas that are basic, gets pretty technical very fast, so I would say this is for advanced photographers also that want to get into food photography.
If you know nothing about photography other than how to hit the shutter button, this book will be over your head. It covers so much of the technical aspect of photography in such a rapid pace that a beginner will find it too difficult. That being said, a beginner can still get a lot out of the styling and propping and still get some great images using a point and shoot camera.
I really recommend this book to anyone that seriously want to make some great food photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid book on Food Photography presented for photographers by an excellent photographer, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
Food photography is all about presenting an image that allows the viewer to instantly eat with their eyes. It attacks their senses and triggers hunger, lip smacking, and everything else that comes along with a perfectly presented culinary dish.

But it isn't as simple as slapping together some food onto a plate and hitting the shutter button. Nicole Young understands this and shares her knowledge as a photographer and a lover of beautiful (& tasty!) food to give you all of the tools needed to create your own visual masterpieces.

As a photographer myself, I can always go to a cookbook to look up recipes for making a dish. I'm not looking for recipes in my Food Photography books. Rather, what I'm looking for is a resource filled with best practices on how to optimally plate, light and process my dished images. Nicole succeeds in these arenas beautifully. Her images include wonderfully clear lighting diagrams that help visualize how to position your off-camera lights and what the intended outcome should look like. She goes into the benefits of using natural light, along with coupling it using flashes.

She also spends a great deal of time on the post-processing side of the image. It's not just about getting the best result straight out of camera, but rather it's a combination of that and applying effective and clean processing that leads to a winning image. Nicole shares her tips in this arena, as well.

So to sum it up, Nicole succeeds with this book where other so-called Food Photography books fail. Nicole is a photographer herself and it clearly shows with this book. Don't hesitate about purchasing this book - rest assured that you'll come away with some truly valuable tips on how to create your own amazing food photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicole not only knows how to shoot food she can also explain her process., October 24, 2012
The first third of the book is for beginners but don't let that sway you. The second two thirds is gold for anyone who wants to learn the mechanics and aesthetics of shooting food in the modern idiom. I liked the writing and the clear and helpful illustrations. I have two cookbooks to my credit as a photographer and just shot a two day food assignment for a Hilton Hotel property. I wish I'd read NIcole's book before hand because I learned at least five new things that would have been helpful. This book is very, very well done. I have both the electronic and the paper copy but I will say I like the paper back better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Outstanding!, November 28, 2012
Absolutely Outstanding!

I own over 12 different photography books and I took a photography class in college and I have been a hobbyist for many years in photography. After you read your first few dozen books on photography and spend a few years making pictures, you then begin to take your hobby seriously enough to find the books that offer you more than the basic info. However, there are not a lot of these books are the market compared to the all the basic info books. This book, is one of the best, if not the best, book on photography that I now own. Why?

Photography is about making images, not taking images, but not every category of photography demonstrates this as well as others. However, food photography is what will take an entry level photographer and make them a veteran photographer faster than any other kind of photography. Think about it. Everyone says that food photography is one of the hardest kinds of photography. So, if you buy a great book on the hard subject and then do the examples in it, will it not make you a much better photographer than something that is not so difficult? Of course it will. Making images is about control. You are the one that has to set everything up, prepare everything, set up the lighting, choose the right subject, colors, and backgrounds, and then of course capture the image and then edit it. But the key part of all this is controlling the image from the beginning. This books teaches you just how to start learning to do that completely, and that, is the beginning of creating masterful images, no matter what the subject is.

This book will help you make all of your images better, not just food photography images. This book will teach you how to elevate all of your photography by teaching you the methods of controlling an image. How do you light for texture? Softness? What makes food (or any subject) more appealing? What colors will contrast or support your subject best? How should you edit your photographs in Photoshop to make the subject more appealing still? This book will teach you.

A warning though, you must practice this art to get better at it. This book shows you what to do and explains it well, but you have to actually do it to learn it.

2.0 out of 5 stars very basic, April 10, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, October 20, 2012
I'm still figuring out all the ropes to my DSLR camera, but one thing I have wanted to learn for awhile is food photography. While a good camera can help with your photographs, I've learned that it's really the photographer that creates beautiful shots.

Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots is a book that I devoured. I have read a few photography books, but this one was simply awesome. I loved how in depth it was.

I found that it was easy to understand and I learned alot from it. This book doesn't just tell you how to get proper lighting it teaches you everything. Beginner photographers may find some parts confusing at first if they don't know how to work a DSLR, but the first chapter will help alot with that.

This book has seven in depth chapters combined with beautiful photography that is really an inspiration. The first chapter goes into the basics of digital food photography, the second chapter goes into what equipment you will need, the third chapter is all about lighting, the fourth chapter is all about food styling and props, the fifth chapter goes into framing and composing your shot, the sixth chapter goes into fixing mistakes in photoshop, and chapter seven was all about what goes on behind the scenes.

I can't even begin to tell you just how much I learned from this book. I am really eager for life to slow down around here so I can spend some time messing around with different settings and lighting. This book is probably the best photography book I have ever read.

I highly recommend that you pick this book up if you are a beginner photographer. You can learn so much from it. Nicole S. Young is a brilliant photographer and it shows in her easy to read, but helpful book. You couldn't learn all these helpful tips online. Everything is right here in this book. The only thing left to do after reading it is to go practice, practice, practice taking beautiful photos.

I was sent a copy of Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent - helped me so much!, January 28, 2012
DuhBe (Kenosha, WI, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm reviewing the Kindle version of this book. Sometimes kindle versions fall short in the photographs but this one had all the high quality photos required of a photography book, so don't hesitate to get the e-book.

I absolutely loved this book, and I don't shoot food! After being disappointed about another book for photographing arts and crafts, I was looking for something to help me photograph handmade soaps and beauty products. I thought the psychology of food photography was pretty darn close to my own product so I got this book. BY FAR the best photography book I could have gotten! She explains light, reflection, angles, and even has helped me decide on a camera upgrade because I need more aperture control. Most books would never go that deep. The way she chooses props and colors was incredibly helpful. Most books just expect you to decode that from their sample photos but this book points out why each element in the shot was chosen. That was exactly the help I needed. Even though this book is aimed at beginners and it's easy to understand, I think she goes way beyond with the equipment options and the bokeh setup which I absolutely loved! This book will teach beginners how to have advanced looking photos.

And then she even goes into post-processing and how to make things look more appetizing via photoshop. That was a great bonus.

I've read a few general photography books and spent many hours reading articles on the web. But I can honestly say this book on food photography helped me more than anything else I've ever come across and my photos are improving significantly. After reading other reviews here and being reminded of the blog, I will make sure to check that out as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Shots That Are Perfect for Beginners, January 8, 2012
Nicole S. Young's FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY: FROM SNAPSHOTS TO GREAT SHOPS is a great place to start for beginners who want their food shots to have more impact than stuff on a plate.
I'm coming back to photography, especially food photography after nearly a 40 year layover. Every thing has changed from presentation, techniques for styling, equipment, and understanding of the subject. FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY is the best how-to volume that I've found to date to give me a new perspective without involving long comparisons to earlier modes and craftmanship.
The chapter devoted to working with camera raw and software was explicit for elements that accomplish a specific goal in a photograph. It is a chapter I will return to frequently to work with my own shots.
Lighting is a photographers major element outside the camera and the set up diagrams to accomplish moods, remove shadows were well illustrated.
You will not go wrong in choosing this TITLE as you first book for your photographic library.
Nash Black, author of SANDPRINTS OF DEATH

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit basic, but very good., June 8, 2013
This book is a bit basic in that it doesn't go into extreme detail, but it did help me get my lighting situated and provide a solid foundation so I know how to go about lighting and shooting food in the future. Overall I'm glad I spent the money, but a little more for what I paid would have been nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very basic, May 8, 2013
Marissa T (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This is a book for someone tha wants to learn the basics of photography, very detailed, good for tips and tricks.

Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Nicole S. Young (Paperback - August 13, 2011)
$24.99 $15.91