Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 1, 2015
This book was not what I expected. I wish I could send it back! Not worth buying.
on January 6, 2015
I have had this book sitting on my home bookshelf for a few years (I won it at a Seedy Sunday gathering in Nanaimo in 2010 I think). I finally decided to read it over the past week as part of the launch to read 100 books that are lying around my house unread in 2015. I loved it! Wheeler has an inimitably friendly and funny way of writing stuff that could otherwise seem overwhelming in detail and urgency. I actually laughed out loud in places and shared paragraphs with my husband. I think it's because of our shared penchant for black humour-- I get her! This is a serious topic, especially where we live on Vancouver Island, poised for the "Big One"-- and while Wheeler was respectful, she knit in hilarious segments that relieved me of a lot of unnecessary worry about just-how-ready-am-I? I now feel confident that I can apply some basic principles from the book (start harvesting all this rain water with some food-grade bins; turn more of my yard into food; really truly get that Earthquake bin packed and stored in the shed, since our garage door will not open if there is a power failure).
on March 14, 2014
I gave it three stars for it was an interesting read but not much help in food storage, which is what I was looking for.
on December 21, 2013
haven't gotten to read a whole lot yet - but the service was awesome and everything was as described - thank you
on July 12, 2013
This book covers all aspects of surviving disasters from careful planning to storing/stockpiling food, from growing your own food to finding food in the wild. This book covers it all. It is also an entertaining read.
on May 6, 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's not the typical food security book. The authors experience & humor adds to the book .
on May 4, 2013
Lot's of good, practical ideas. Definitely for the beginner, as well as those who are trying to expand their food resources.
on October 31, 2012
My husband has been wanting us to begin stocking up on food -- for economic reasons if nothing else. I just finished reading this book about a week before the mega-storm Sandy hit, so the advice was certainly timely, although we only lost power for a short time, so I haven't had to put the advice into action yet. The author provides a good overview on preparing for disaster, whether due to economic adversity or Mother Nature, and presents her information with a wonderful sense of humor. She is never preachy or condescending, just offers sensible advice, with references to other sources of information to provide details. Each chapter ends with an action list, which also helps provide motivation. The gardening advice is geared toward those in the Pacific Northwest, so not of much use to me in south-central Pennsylvania, but my husband and I already garden, so that wasn't a concern for us. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in disaster preparedness -- better to get ready before the next Sandy hits.
on October 4, 2010
Received this book and have enjoyed reading. The material is very informative. The shipping was fast.
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2010
I appreciated the friendly, lay-person tone of this work. As a gardening-challenged individual, it was nice to have information laid out in accessible terms with practical starting suggestions and plenty of references for future study. All the tenants put forth are sound, well researched and well intentioned. If you're new to self-sufficiency, emergency preparedness or growing/preserving food, this is an excellent place to start your journey. Experienced preparedness types can still glean plenty of interesting tidbits and will find the references cited worth exploring.