Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on June 19, 2009
I have the same V2220 black "Walmart version" of this (my first sealer) and after sealing over 30 different items, I can say that I absolutely LOVE this machine! I've had no problems sealing any type of bag or canister and it's perfect every time. Caution: do not try to vacuum a pizza on "dry mode" or it will suck all the air out of it, crust and all! It's possible that it would work better on "moist mode", though I haven't had the chance to test it yet. You can, however, stop the sealing at any time when you see it's crushing everything by pressing cancel, and just manually press the "seal" button to seal it.

The canister accesorry is simply amazing! You can vacuum seal potato chips, cakes, cookies, sandwiches, and other "crushable items" and store them much longer without having to worry about them getting stale and old after a week, and you can re-seal/vacuum them over and over again after re-opening the container/canister. This one's even better than the bags!

Now, if there's only a pizza canister...hmmm.

NOTE: if the machine doesn't appear to be working, it's because you didn't turn the LOCK all the way. Check that first before complaining! :-)
on May 15, 2009
As disappointed as I was with the V3835 model, I was reluctant to try yet another. Im glad I did because this one is "as advertised"! We can find no reason to complain.
on April 7, 2010
UPDATE: Originally I gave this V2220 a 2 star rating and I was definitely returning it to the store. Before I returned it I called Foodsaver and learned that the greater the model number the newer the model so the model discussed below that was purchased at Kohls V850 was actually several generations old even though it was being sold as a new item. I thought that it was a fancy newer model and was thrilled that it came with all the canisters. No wonder it was so hard to use and did not have the newer features like a button to stop it from crushing the chips or bread. Those features had not been invented yet.

As for the V2220 I had it all packed up and ready to return when I decided to call FoodSaver and find out why these machines were so finicky. I was told to take it out of the package open it up and pull out both gaskets, wet them both in hot tap water, turn then them over (turning over was obvious because they had gotten squished into shape from being shoved into their proper little moat-like space), then press them back into the little moat area that they came out of. She told me that this should fix all of the problems that I was having with the machine not sucking the air properly. She was right it worked like a charm and I was thrilled that I did not have to face returning it to Walmart after-all. Apparently the gaskets get compressed in shipping and when people forget and leave the locking latch locked in the closed position. Periodically if I have any trouble I will do this procedure again and all will be well again.
I am very happy with my V220B. I have bought a few more canisters. I also have a glass pickle jar for sealing 1-quart glass juice jars inside (explained below). And I have a squat gallon square jar for sealing smaller jars down inside of it . I use the 3x FoodSaver T03-0020-01 Universal 5.5 Inch Vacuum Packaging Lid with the hose on top of the gallon jars and it seals the air out of the smaller jar that is inside. I love this lid. I love my FoodSaver. Another tip once the little jars are resealed they can be nearly impossible to open again, without ruining the little lids that is. The trick is to use a thumbtack to poke one hole in the center of the lid and the air wooshes back inside the jar releasing the lid seal. The lid then is useable still with a little piece of black electrical tape over the hole. Make sure to fold one side of the tape back on itself creating a reuseable release tab. The tape holds an airtight seal again in the future even after going through the dishwasher.

Here is my original review which carried only a 2-star rating. I am leaving it here so that you will know what to do if the same thing happens to you. In fact my husband picked up two more sealers (different brand but same thing) at a tag sale. They were brand new in the box, marked FREE. The lady who gave them to him had purchased #1- it didn't work right. The company sent a replacement #2, It had the same issue it did not suck out the air. Finally #3 machine worked perfect. Hubby brought them home to me to see if flipping the gaskets would work. It did! We gave them away with Universal Lids and Hoses for Xmas presents.

Original Review:
I bought my V2220B at Walmart. The B is for black. I bought it planning to buy canisters to go with it here from Amazon. Then I went to Kohls and found the Foodsaver V850. That version came with a nice assortment of canisters for only a little more money. And it was called 'Hands Free'. I came home and tried the V850 I could not get it to turn on. Disgusted I opened this Foodsaver V2220B. I couldn't get it to turn on. Okay thouroughly disgusted I called in the hubby. He messed with it and found the lock lever. Okay that was not in the quickstart manual. He got it turned on. Then he messed with the V850. After several tries he got it to turn on. The 'Hands Free' V850 takes two hands pressed in just the right place, with a lot of pressure, in order to press two buttons that are hidden beneath the lid. Hubby pushed with brute strength, I could see the lid bending a little against the pressure he was applying to get it to turn on. Thinking I would not have to press so hard after I determined where the buttons were, I could not get it to turn on until I pushed hard enough to hurt my tennis elbow. (which had not been hurting before I started trying to get it to turn on) So much for being hands free.

We had both machines open so we tested both to decide which to take back to the store.

I HATE that the V850 needs two hands and a lot of pressure to turn it on.

The V2220B requires one finger but you have to lock it down, and hold the button for 5-6 seconds before it will turn on- it will never turn on without the lever locked down. I like the one button feature. 3 stars.

V2220B sealed the bags very well and has a button to allow you to stop sucking air out of the bag when the contents like chips or bread begin to get smashed. V2220 Did a well sealing hamburger buns without crushing them. VERY useful button. This is good!!! 5 stars.

V2220B did not do very well sucking the air out of the canisters. It is supposed to do that. It tried and tried for 3xs as long as the other machine. It would turn itself off when IT was done trying. But it was never able to create an air tight seal. This is bad!!! Take away all stars!

V850 sealed canisters fast and did a very good job. 5 stars!
V850 takes brute force and two hands to turn on. Take away 3 stars!
V850 sucked the air out of the bags but does not have a button to stop it from crushing the contents. It does not have a manual button that will allow you to seal the bag when you want to seal the bag. I stopped it when it was crushing the hamburger buns. I was not able to make it seal at that point- NO seal. Take away all the stars!

The V2220B does not come with a canister to test whether this feature works. Be sure to have a canister ready to test if you buy this machine. I did buy the canister that comes with a cheese grater. I got it here. You can use this canister to marinate meat. I did. I also bought it to use for the following trick.

Here is an amazing feature that I learned from a friend who has another model foodsaver. Glass jars such as mason jars or any jar that has a metal lid that will fit inside of the foodsaver canisters can be made airtight. All you have to do is fill the jar leaving about an inch of air space, put on the metal lid, (you know the kind that have pop tops so you know that they are air tight) Put the filled jar down into the canister. Put on the canister lid and attach the foodsaver hose. Follow the directions for sucking the canister air out. When the foodsaver shuts off. There should be a tight fitted seal on the canister lid or your foodsaver is not working. Push the button on top of the canister lid to release the seal. Take out your jar you will know that it has a good airtight seal because the pop top button will be depressed just like they look when you buy them from the store. And it will be just as hard to open as it was new from the store. I was able to do this with the V850 because it worked on the canister mode. This is the coolest and the reason that I am going to go through the trouble to find a foodsaver that works. But I am only going to buy the machine where it can easily be returned because I have two to return right now.

I bought the cheese grater canister because turned on it's side I can place a taller jar inside of it to suction the air out. I love this!!! Now I just have to find a model that doesn't take brute strength to use, It must have a manual seal feature, and all the features must work.

V850 sealed canisters fast and did a very good job. 5 stars!
V850 takes brute force and two hands to turn on. Take away 3 stars!

on June 24, 2009
Basically, the FOODSAVER system is sound and well designed EXCEPT for the canisters which often crack. Many of us have urged Tilia to upgrade the plastic canisters, and so far they have refused. I do not put the canisters in the dishwasher, or even use harsh chemicals. One canister cracked, pressurized, on the shelf after a few weeks without being moved. When you call Tilia they will let you know that there is NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND on their canisters, which tells volumes about how they view their own product.

Tilia blames their customers for the cracks. I am honestly sorry I did not heed the warnings I read by Amazon consumers before I purchased. I usually depend on Amazon customer recommendations for all my purchases. I have spent much money on Tilia accessories, and am now considering looking for another brand. Hope this helps, Ron
on April 11, 2016