5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work pretty good
As far as a vaccum canister it is far superior to round containers that are availible. The nice part being that it is a better shape for leaving in the fridge and stacking things on top of it.
Published on August 15, 2003 by Thomas E. Tweedel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as it is cracked-UP to be
Published on June 24, 2009 by Ron Rasglid

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work pretty good, August 15, 2003
Thomas E. Tweedel (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
The tray iself is made of some pretty thick plastic, its not a wimpy thing. Two parts, there is a lid with a silicone gasket around the edge and then the bowl of the tray. The bowl can be machine washed. There is a valve on the top with 3 settings. Open/Vaccum/Close. To use hook the accessory hose up to the valve in Vaccum mode and engage the pump. My 550 takes about 20+ seconds to evacuate the air out with about a pound of meat in the tray.
Its kind of weird but the top is held on by vaccum pressure so if the tray is emty and you grab the top only the lid comes off. But once the vaccum is pulled they are very well held together.
The tray can hold a good amount of food. I like the dimensions.
It is said that using vaccum makes things marinate faster. I'm not sure how true this is as I have never done a side by side comparison. But I have observed one thing. I was making some Jerky and I put one batch in the tray and vaccumed it and put the other batch in a non-vaccum container of similar dimensions. Left both overnight. In the morning when I went mix the meats up so it would marinate evenly all of the marinate in the vaccum tray was gone, it had been sucked up by the mean. The regular tray still had marinade in it. Same meat, same basic marinate (one had chili pepper for some extra heat). The strength of the marinade seem stronger in the finished product as well. So I guess there is something to it.
Either way when I marinate something for a short time I always use the vaccum (if for no other reason than to justify all the money I spent on it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just good for marinading, May 13, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
In addition to its excellent use for marinading meats, I find the square canister to be far more practical than the round containers for storage in the fridge because the shorter height can more easily fit on any shelf and can be stacked. It just makes a lot more sense than trying to fit round containers into a square hole.
It's perfect for square or flat foods like sliced cold cuts, whole sandwiches, square cut cheese, hor d'oeuvres, leftover slices of pie, garlic bread, and pizza slices!
According to Tilia, the square base is the only container that is microwave safe for heating food (not for cooking), so it can be directly used for reheating soups, casseroles, leftovers, etc. without having to transfer to another dish that will need to be cleaned later.
Tossed salads can be prepared in advance, vacuum sealed to maintain freshness, and then conveniently eaten directly out of the container, unlike the round containers that are too deep to use in this way. With a small insulated cooler and a refreezable gel pack, you can easily take a fresh and healthy salad to work without finding a soggy wilted mess by lunch time.
Over the long term, a reusable container is more cost effective than the resealable bags.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Marinating!, September 1, 2002
Daniel F. Moore (Yarmouth, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
I own a FoodSaver Vac 1050 and I also had an earlier FoodSaver model which died from years of constant use. I have had the square canister for a number of years, in fact I now have two of them. Suffice it to say, they are a great companion to the vacuum sealer. As the title of the review says, this product is great for marinating steaks, chops, poultry parts etc. Your marinade is able to penetrate deeper into the fiber of the meat and thus you get a much more tender cut.
But I also keep leftovers and cold cuts sealed in this unit. It stores quite well in the refrigerator due to its compact size. Food really does stay much fresher in a vaccuum packed container and the canister is more convenient than constantly sealing, cutting and re-sealing vaccuum bags.
Because you will be able to maintain the freshness of your food(s) longer, this unit will more than pay for itself in no time. If you own a FoodSaver, this is a perfect companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marinading Made Easy!, March 16, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
I love to marinade almost every meat I cook. I used to put my meat in a container far too large for a 2 person serving in a bowl or casserole dish and cover it in saran wrap to open my refrigerator the next day to the scent of marinade all over the place. Also that was pretty darn messy and a waste of good marinade!
Well what took me 10 hours before now takes 1 hour in this food saver. I was skeptical that the marinade wouldnt permiate the meat thoroughly enough. Boy was I wrong. My meat was never more tender in 10 hours than just 1 hour in this foodsaver container! And I dont lose any of the flavour of my marinade that happened sometimes with the cover and overnight method.
This container is mega durable, easy to open after sealing closed. I'm going to purchase more of these, they're so wonderful!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as it is cracked-UP to be, June 24, 2009
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
Basically, the FOODSAVER system is sound and well designed EXCEPT for the canisters which often crack. Many of us have urged Tilia to upgrade the plastic canisters, and so far they have refused. I do not put the canisters in the dishwasher, or even use harsh chemicals. One canister cracked, pressurized, on the shelf after a few weeks without being moved. When you call Tilia they will let you know that there is NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND on their canisters, which tells volumes about how they view their own product.

Tilia blames their customers for the cracks. I am honestly sorry I did not heed the warnings I read by Amazon consumers before I purchased. I usually depend on Amazon customer recommendations for all my purchases. I have spent much money on Tilia accessories, and am now considering looking for another brand. Hope this helps, Ron

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but canister needs to be redesigned., June 24, 2006
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
I have had four of these, and three have failed. The first two developed cracks, and I suspect that the dishwasher, in which I only washed the bottom part of the marinator as advised, warped and weakened them. After buying two more, the first two having been relegated to the potting shed as seed-starters, I have handled them with kid gloves so to speak, (no dishwasher), and the seal on one fails to hold for even a few hours. So far, so good with the fourth one. Whoopee. These are not cheap items, and even if they were less costly, a 75% failure rate is quite unacceptable. If they really functioned as they should, they would be fabulous for not only marinating in short order, but storing other items as well. All the round canisters and the wide-mouth jar sealer work exceedingly well, but I'll not buy any more "marinators" until there is a successful improvement in design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job!, February 25, 2006
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
I only use this to marinade meats for short periods of time. I save money because I'm not having to but the most tender cuts of meat and still get very tender steaks. I haven't had problems with the container holding the vacuum seal, then again I don't keep food in the canister longer than an hour. I've been washing the bottom of the container in the dishwasher and haven't noticed any damage after many, many washings. If I could change it a little bit, I would like to have a longer container. I marinade really thick london broils and sometimes they are hard to fit inside a 9 1/2 sq. inch container.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement over the round containers, April 25, 2006
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
I initially purchased these because I thought they would fit better in the refrigerator since they were not round, which they do. I also appreciate the fact that you have to turn a dial to release the vacuum so that it cannot happen by accident. However, because the dial is not recessed, the containers do not stack well on top of each other without using something as a shim between them. I wad up a clean kitchen towel into a snake and place it on the top of the lid before placing another container on top of it. This method seems to work fine for holding things in place.

I do not put these in the dishwasher, so I can't tell you how that would impact their life. I have had three of these for a couple of years now, and all of them still function as designed.

Overall, I like this product a lot. They work great for quick marinating of vegetables, something that I do a lot. I took off one star because they don't stack as well as they should.

3.0 out of 5 stars Marinator Stress Cracks over time, March 26, 2006
Kaiahso "Kaiahso" (Iowa City, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
I purchased the marinator and have loved it. I use it for marinating all of our grill recipes. I was very disappointed to find that the item developed a small crack in the lid on the corner that kept it at a short product life. I took great care to hand wash both the top and the bottom, and at the failing point, the product looked brand new. It was probably used about 20 times a year (about 60 uses).

The product works great, but the stress of the vacuum did this product in.

Once a smallcrach develops (1 cm) the rest is history.

If you buy this product you will love it, but be prepared to purchase a new one.

This was the first Tilia product to break in the three years of use. I use the bottle corks often, the large mouth mason jar attachment, and the bags. The round containers are too small to be real practical.

1.0 out of 5 stars Reliability is the Issue, February 17, 2006
J. Beverley "quality freak" (Waconia, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Quick Marinator (Kitchen)
Unfortunately, I've ordered more than my share of FoodSaver products, having bought into the philosophy of vacuum storage, despite reading ample warnings from discontented consumers.

What many of them claim is very much to the point: plastic containers frequently develop cracks and loss of vacuum. I've had many of their marinators and storage canisters prove defective after less than 10 uses. It seems to be related to the material properties and container size characteristics. The smaller containers seem to last longer. Those with thick walls relative to the specified volume or reinforcing structures seem to last just a bit longer.

In plain language, the plastic containers are unreliable. FoodSaver should develop materials and designs that can handle the stress of the vacuum cycling placed on them, or quit the the business. Since their products have been on the market for many years, I can only assume they are more interested in recruiting new customers than satisfying existing customers. If you like filling out warranty forms every few weeks, more power to you.

Bottle sealers are equally worthless. Every one that I bought lost vacuum in short order. In one case, a defective seal resulted in a spill of cooking oil that damaged a nylon tent and other camping gear.

FoodSaver has done a good job with certain items in their product line. The vacuum unit is well designed and performs reliably, as long as the instuctions are followed. The bagging system is unassailable, even though the cost of the bags and rolls is quite high (read Consumer Reports reviews). And, to be fair, their Universal lids are excellent. Use them to seal small glass jars or stainless steel bowls, and there is no loss of vacuum due to cracked plastic.

Bottom line? Be careful which products you buy. Some are excellent, while others are pure junk.

FoodSaver Quick Marinator