1,575 Reviews
 (1,187)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - money saver!
FoodSaver may be kind of shooting themselves in the foot with this product. We found their plastic canisters to be rather expensive, and there were too many reviews saying people had experienced cracks in them. I'm sure a plastic canister would be good in some circumstances, but when we found out there are wide-mouth 2 quart canning jars (you generally only see 1 quart...
Published on July 31, 2008 by Grits

2.0 out of 5 stars Tricks to get it to work
At first I had the problem with it not sealing the lid also. After some investigation, I notice that the pump is acutally holding the lid up and away from the jar during vacuuming. When the pump stopped, the air slowly flowed back around the lid and into the jar. (Excuse me for I'm about to go scientific here) This slow movement of the air creates a pretty much equal...
Published on January 25, 2007 by R. Chiu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5158 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars canning jar uses extended, January 4, 2007
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
For years I have used my canning jars for canning and freezing. After I purchased a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, I decided to purchase the large mouth and small mouth jar sealers. I also have a few of the plastic canisters that can be vacuum-sealed. I decided to recycle my glass jars and save money by not buying more plastic canisters.

I live in an area where the little black bugs get into things like flour, oatmeal, etc. Now I keep all of those items safe from the bugs and they stay fresher longer. The added benefit is that at a glance, I can see the contents and how much is on hand.

Now that my family is grown and gone, I don't can and freeze like I once did. I have a lot of jars and lids. Now I am able to get much more use out of them. My friend borrowed my jar sealers to see if she wanted to buy them but they did not work for her because her vacuum sealer was not the FoodSaver brand. She is considering the purchase of a FoodSaver sealer so she too can extend the use of her canning jars.

If you have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer you can save your sealing bags by getting out your old canning jars. The jar sealers are a great investment and worth every penny. How many things do you throw out every year that has gone stale or have been visited by the little black bugs? So the jar sealer will pay for itself in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, March 7, 2006
Funfoodie (Burbank, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
The jar sealer works as promised. Using mason jars provides a cheaper/reusable alternative to the Foodsaver bags. The only trouble I had at first was in releasing the vacuum to open the jar, but I got the hang of it after a while -- I just had to patiently twist a spoon underneath the lid to release the seal.

5.0 out of 5 stars great idea, March 26, 2008
Lori (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
This is a very inexpensive way to be able to use your WIDE mouth mason jars to use with the foodsaver. Almost every household has ball mason jars and if not, they are quite inexpensive to buy at a hardware store or department stores. The 1 quart size wide mouth BALL mason jars are great to use when after a while you need to transfer food from the larger canisters to smaller containers and the mason jars will definitely do the trick. Just simply put the lid on and put this jar sealer down tight, connect your hose and push the canister button on the foodsaver and it will vacuum out all the air. The lids are reusable as long as you don't dent or bend them. You can also get extra lids. A package of 12 lids for about $2.50 at almost any store. I like the WIDE mouth jars for the simple reason that the opening is bigger. As many of you know that the foodsaver canisters are rather very pricey so this is a very good alternative way to go. You can get a case of 12 for about $9. This particular wide mouth jar sealer is good for BALL and KERR wide mouth mason jars. I store peanuts, chocolate chips, walnuts, confectionary sugar, raisins, just to name a few things that I store in the pantry. Then when the canister that once held a box of cereal starts to get down low, i use the mason jar to store cereal as well. Highly recommend to get the jar sealer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with the Handheld Vacuum, October 24, 2011
Jerrica B. (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
I'd read in a review that one could use these Jar Sealers with the FoodSaver FreshSaver Handheld Vacuum-Sealing System so I got both sizes and looked forward to vacuum sealing some left overs and pre-made meals! Sadly though, they do NOT in fact work with the Handheld Vacuum. I've read over the reviews and comments that stated this and found no additional tips or how-to's to make this work. The picture shows it being used with the FoodSaver Hose so I figured this might be why, so bought it. Still, it doesn't work. The Jar Sealers are only meant to work with the hose, and the hose is only meant to work with a full FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer machine "with an accessory port". But if I am wrong, please by all means school me! I've tried and tried and they do not fit.

I can't very well rate this low, as I don't even know how it works, so it gets 3 stars (more than fair).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to keep fresh-made juices fresh, February 23, 2012
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
I've recently started juicing at home, and given the time that goes into cleaning my juicer, I'd prefer to make some juices like Carrot or Beet or Citrus for a few days rather than just right now. Using the Foodsaver wide mouth sealer pulls out the dissolved oxygen as well as the air in the headspace, decreasing oxidation and allows the juice to stay fresh much longer. I have found most juices stay very fresh even 3 days after being made.

I'm always amazed by watching the tiny bubbles of air forming inside the juice and getting pulled upwards from the dissolved oxygen getting released as the vacuum is created.

Some juices do not seem to keep well even under vacuum, e.g. Wheatgrass

2.0 out of 5 stars touch-and-go, but there's a work-around, August 15, 2007
I had some difficulty getting this to work consistently when I first bought it. (I was using an accessory hose connected to a foodsaver system that could also seal in bags.)

The problem is that if the vacuum is relieved too slowly after the air is removed then

1. The lid is not pushed down sufficiently quickly by the returning air pressure.
2. Consequently, the air gets back into the jar.

There are two alternative solutions to this problem:

Solution 1: Pull the vacuum hose off of the jar when the pump has almost finished pumping. That lets the air in fast.

Solution 2: Don't buy this attachment, just use a foodsaver canister just large enough to hold your mason jar. Take the mason jar and put the lid on it. Screw the ring down until it is just touching the lid but NOT TIGHT. Put the mason jar into the foodsaver canister. Vacuum the canister. Remove the hose from the canister (this is important) and then let the air back into the canister. The lid of the mason jar will squeeze down onto the jar to seal the vacuum. (If you don't remove the hose then the vacuum may not be let back in quickly enough, and then you won't get as good a seal.)

I've found it's best to do some experiments to get the hang of getting a good vacuum. In particular, you can easily measure the vacuum inside a canister or jar. To do this, just fill the canister with water and put in an upside down cup which is full of air. You'll have to put a weight on top of the cup to keep it from floating up. Then let the air out. Air will bubble out from under the cup, and you can see when the vacuum is increasing. (Again, on my foodsaver the vacuum gets better with more presses of the button.) Then let the air back in and the water will flow up into the cup. The more water that flows into the cup the better the vacuum. So it's easy to get a good idea of how good a job your foodsaver is doing. I can get an 80% vacuum with several presses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with this revision, October 2, 2012
I've used the wide mouth jar sealer for years with no problem, and just used the regular jar sealer today for the first time. I bought it on Amazon, and was aware of all the reviews saying it didn't always work. Sure enough, my first two attempts did not seal. I tried using two lids at once, and that jar did seal. I compared this new regular mouth sealer with the wide mouth sealer, trying to figure out what would be different enough to keep the smaller one from working. The blue rubber gasket on the regular sealer had come off, and so I put it back on, but "upside down" from how it arrived. Consider that the gasket is shaped like a "U", with the bottom cup of the "U" fitting onto the jar. I just turned it over, so that the arms of the "U" went onto the jar. And now it works!! Could it be that some of these sealers are leaving the factory with the gasket upside down? All I know is that after I turned it over, I had 100% success. Hope this helps someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at first - figured it out, February 27, 2012
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
At first, I had zero success with this product. I looked at the reviews and decided I must be doing SOMETHING wrong. I watched some YouTube videos and found one gentleman turned the gasket (that comes installed in the lid sealer) upside down, and then he had success. I looked at mine, and the seal was already installed the way he found success. So I thought I would change mine around to the way his originally came to see what would happen. Bingo. 100% success and super-easy. I love this thing!

So it turned out either my seal came installed upside down, or his did. Hard to say which because it worked one way for him, and the other way for me. I can't explain this phenomena, but hope it helps if anyone has difficulty.

I'll try to explain the seal best I can - the profile is a U-shape. Mine came with the U pointing up (flat side, or base of the U, towards the jar). I turned it over so the U was upside-down, the opening towards the jar.

Also (my instructions don't mention this) after vacuum sealing, remove the hose from the lid sealer before removing the lid sealer from the jar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy Device For Sealing Wide Mouth Jars, April 17, 2010
Greg From Oregon (Mcminnville, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer (Kitchen)
This Jar Sealer is very sturdy and works great.
It does not come with a hose attachment.
You can go to Lowes and get a 1\4 inch irrigation connection with 3 feet of hose for about five bucks that works fine.
I also punch a small 1\16 inch hole in the top of the jar lid then place a piece of electricians tape over the hole.
Then when I seal the jar I just pull back the tape to release the vacuum. Which means you dont have to pry the lid off.
The tape is reusable many times.
Wash and spin your lettuce.......chop it up into pieces like you would to eat it. Then vacuum seal it in a quart jar.
It keeps fresh for days.
This jar sealer will work with any vacuum sealer with a 1\4 inch hole to plug the hose into.
I have a Weston Pro 2300 that works fine with this jar attachment.
Nice item and recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful addition to my Foodsaver!, June 14, 2008
I use my Foodsaver vacuum sealer all the time, to seal food in special plastic bags. But some things, like rice and beef jerky, puncture the plastic bags. So this canning jar sealer was just what I needed. I put rice (or spices, flour, cornmeal, salt, any dry item) in a canning jar, set the metal lid on top, apply this jar sealer, and let the vacuum do its job. In 30 seconds the jar lid is securely vacuumed to the jar, and the contents are safe from bugs, mice, moisture and spoilage. I also bought the large-mouth jar sized sealer, and I've used them both many times.

Do not use this jar sealer for canning fruits, vegetables or other wet foods. Anything that would spoil at room temperature needs to be canned using a pressure canner or water bath method.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5158 | Next ›