5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for GAPS recipes!
I used to buy the Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour, 16-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) and I am SO glad I discovered the NOW almond flour. The Bob's almond meal works, but I didn't really care for the flavor or the texture--I just thought I needed to learn to like them.

Published on August 11, 2012 by E. Kerby

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan for baking
Published 23 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for GAPS recipes!, August 11, 2012
This review is from: NOW Foods Almond Flour Pure , 10 Ounce Bags (Pack of 4) (Grocery)

This NOW Foods almond flour is so much better! The Bob's almond meal is kind of gritty...so I just thought that when you grind almonds, that's the best you can hope for. Not true! This NOW Foods almond flour is soft. Bob's also has a distinct flavor to it...when I made GAPS banana bread, the recipe calls for 3 cups of almond flour, and I used to substitute 2 cups of coconut flour, because I didn't like the result with 3 cups of Bob's almond flour. With the NOW Foods almond flour, I PREFER it with only almond flour.

If you're doing GAPS, it's kind of tough because you can't have grains. Almond flour is one of the ingredients that makes it possible to have "normal" food while on GAPS. My other favorite ingredients that make GAPS food taste like normal food are coconut flour and date sugar.

Anyhow, this is EXCELLENT stuff! If you've tried Bob's and didn't really care for it, definitely order this and see if you like it better. As a bonus, the NOW Foods almond flour is slightly cheaper than Bob's, and the packages have actually been updated, so it looks more modern than the picture that is on the Amazon page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Texture, November 29, 2010
First time I used almond flour in cookie recipes. Its a low carb, healthier alternative for my diabetic dad who loves cookies. We just loved the texture and taste. Will definitely buy more!
This is a staple in my frig...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful texture and taste. Plus a recipe., November 11, 2011
nonpareil (rural New England, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This almond flour totally MADE my new Danish rice pudding recipe!

(Adaptation from Risalamande or Ris a la mande, a traditional Danish holiday rice dessert.) Heat 2 cups water (or skim milk for better taste but more difficulty with sticking to pan), add 3 tablespoons tapioca, 1/2 cup rice, 1/3 cup raisins, 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, a dash of salt, stir frequently while bringing to gentle boil. Reduce heat to barely a simmer, cook for 45 minutes or until rice is completely tender. Remove from heat and fold in 1/2 cup almond flour. OK to serve with cream or whipped cream but without is lower calorie.

Well, it's still a work-in-progress. I tasted the pudding prior to installation of the NOW Foods Almond Flour and it was sort of blah. Then after stirring in the almond flour and !YES! - it gained an absolutely wonderful nutty flavor. The traditional recipe calls for almond slivers but that isn't what I wanted. This is. BTW the traditional recipe also calls for a fruit sauce topping, usually cherry. But I'm working on higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet.

I keep this almond flour in the fridge because I know that nuts with their high oil content can go rancid. Please note this shipment of flour tastes really fresh. I'm happy to report that it is dated "Best by 9/11/12". Plenty of time to enjoy its nuttiness.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan for baking, January 7, 2013
Amazon Customer (Framingham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I think it's important to note that this flour is unblanched. Most baking recipes (cookies, cakes, etc) that call for almond flour typically refer to blanched almond flour, which is finer and less dense. This is perfect for breading chicken, but all of my baked goods came out flat. I was really hoping it would do the trick for my baking, but I guess that's why it's so inexpensive (compared to other nut flours)!

5.0 out of 5 stars NOW Almond Flour, July 6, 2012
NOW Almond Flour beats the other guys on both freshness and price.

Used in conjuction with other flours for baking you get a moist but not heavy texture. Used alone when baking vegetable muffins and small vegetable loaves is a great treat.

Great alternative for those with celiac disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, November 1, 2011
I really loved this for baking. I put it in cookies a lot to replace the chopped nuts. I also have rolled cookies in the almond flour before baking. I use it in place of some of the flour called for in quick breads. Very good! I plan on using it in pie crusts and bear claw filling.

1.0 out of 5 stars not sure about this, October 2, 2013
I like this brand of almond flour and the resealable bag, I have used it in the past. But this time I opened a bag and it had bugs in it. YUCK!! Now I know flours can have this, it could have had a small hole in the bag and somewhere along the line got the bugs in it. I only found the bugs in one of the 4 bags....but it was still gross!

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning to like it, June 24, 2012
Tried this to replace part of the low carb flour I'd been using. Wanted to add some flavor and this has good flavor. Still learning how to use this effectively but I would probably get the blanched version (nut skins removed) next time for use as a flour replacement. Fine otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flour to add to Waffles, August 4, 2011
I make waffles with about 1/4 of the mix being this flour and they taste great & are healthy (with grapeseed oil).

4.0 out of 5 stars Almond Flour As A Substitue for Whole Wheat Flour, August 6, 2013
I've started to use Almond Flour instead of Whole Wheat Flour because of a book I am reading. Bakery item's are more dense not light like when you use regular flours but taste good and are healthier for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›