5.0 out of 5 stars Stevia = Awesome
Published 17 months ago by Thelma Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Stevia vs. Sweet Leaf
I bought this product for the first time 3 months ago. I bought Sweet Leaf Vanilla Creme Flavored Liquid Stevia, 2-Ounce Bottle 7 months ago. My motive was to compare these products and see which one is best for me.

Published on October 15, 2011 by Molokaicreeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Stevia = Awesome, January 31, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Better Stevia Original Liquid Extract, 8 Ounce Bottle (Grocery)
I'm a long time stevia user. I have been using bulk powder(100 Grams (3.5 Oz) Stevia 95% Steviosides Bulk Powder) forever with nothing but positive results. I use stevia in drinks, in cooking, to flavor yogurt or other dishes...you name it we've probably tried it in my house. I love being able to measure out specific amounts that's why the powder has always worked for me.

I tried the liquid extract as a quick alternative when I'm in a hurry. It's a little easier to handle and also way easier to transport. If I'm on the run, I can bring the bottle with me and drop some in my water or lunch, whatever the case may be. It's really convenient to have it there with me. I don't use it so much at home, I like to stick with the powder for that, but I much prefer having the liquid at work or on the road. It makes things much easier.

The stevia is not only a good alternative to sugar in food and drink, but it also has a great overall effect on my mental well being. I feel more positive since I started using it. I love the stuff. Now that I've been using it for so long, I don't think I could go back to sugar. One thing to new stevia users though; MAKE SURE IT'S ALL NATURAL! Don't buy the stevia with additives, it defeats the purpose and it can have some uncomfortable side effects!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Stevia vs. Sweet Leaf, October 15, 2011
Molokaicreeper "maccentris" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews

I will try to be as detailed as possible. So again I am evaluating "Now Foods: Better Stevia Original" and "Sweet Leaf: Liquid Stevia Vanilla Creme".

At first, I expected Better Stevia to be what the packaging described, a better alternative to Stevia drinkers. I expected it to be exactly what they advertised in its packaging:

-Better tasting
-Just as healthy

etc.

To compare them, I alternated an average of 6 drops into my morning coffee everyday.

==Taste Evaluation==

After everyday usage of these two products and after testing them extensively; I see no -significant- difference between the two in taste. Please do take into consideration that I did not test these by serving suggestion amount (see Suggested Serving below).

==Ingredients==

Now let's talk about the ingredients. Both products claim to be made with natural ingredients. "Now Foods Better Stevia Original" lists "water", "certified Organic Stevia extract" and "11% alcohol". "Sweet Leaf: Liquid Stevia Vanilla Creme" lists "natural flavors" apart from "Stevia extract".

Sweet Leaf has quite an advantage, since it does not list alcohol as an ingredient.

I wanted more evidence about ingredients. I thought that Sweet Leaf was trying to pull as fast one, by passing alcohol as a "natural flavor"; like many companies have done.

So I visited the Sweet Leaf website and found this: "SweetLeaf Stevia® Sweetener does not use chemicals, alcohols, solvents or enzymes at any stage of the extraction and purification process."

Bingo. Sweet Leaf has -no alcohol-.

==Suggested Serving and Packaging==

"Now Foods Better Stevia Original" serving suggestion is 1 to 4 drops and has a split-open cap that it's very messy. You can't count by drops, usually it spills to the body of the container. It is very difficult to measure exactly how much you're administering. I found that many times the bitterness was noticeable due to not knowing how much I was using.

"Sweet Leaf: Liquid Stevia Vanilla Creme" serving suggestion is 5 to 8 drops and contains a dropper for easier administration of the product. You can count exactly how many drops you're serving. As long as you don't go beyond 7-8 drops; it should not be bitter at all.

Final evaluation from 1 to 5.

Taste:

"Now Foods Better Stevia Original" = 5

Ingredients:

"Now Foods Better Stevia Original" = 4

Suggested Serving and Packaging:

"Now Foods Better Stevia Original" = 2

"Sweet Leaf: Liquid Stevia Vanilla Creme" = 5

All in all Sweet Leaf wins, for several reasons. The packaging makes it very easy to serve the product properly. When I used the Sweet Leaf dropper with the Better Stevia I found that 4 drops weren't bitter. But adding 8 drops of Better Stevia started to make my drink bitter. So Better Stevia claims it tastes better, as long as you follow their serving suggestion. Sweet Leaf tastes better otherwise.

And to folks who really care about their alcohol intake for whatever reason; Sweet Leaf claims to have none.

PS. Oh yeah just a quick note, when I ordered Better Stevia the "alcohol" was not mentioned on the title, now it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weaken, June 29, 2013
Formula has changed so do not buy this again. It is now terrible. I had bought previously and it was strong and only took a few drops now it takes tablespoons. TERRIBLE!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad packaging, April 14, 2013
I really liked the product - good taste and potent. The packaging stunk - it dripped everywhere and made my counter top very sticky and messy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheeper substitute for Name product, October 3, 2013
Fred Ariail "boxman" (Northeast Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
Ordered because it was much cheaper than the Sweetleaf product that I had ordered in the past. My wife could not tell the difference and she is very picky. This product does contain 11% alcohol, but it did not seem to change the taste any.

4.0 out of 5 stars When the competiton overprices themselves you look elsewhere..., December 22, 2013
I used to be a Sweet Leaf fan but they kept pricing themselves higher and higher until they finally were too high and lost my business. I looked around for an inexpensive stevia and stumbled on this one. It had good reviews and it is around half of the price of Sweet Leaf. I was a little skeptical at first about the flavor but I quickly found that this stevia was just as good as the Sweet Leaf brand. I've gotten to like this one better since it doesn't have as metallic of flavor as the Sweet Leaf. The only thing I miss from Sweet Leaf is the small glass 4 oz. separate containers and the eyedropper but I feel they aren't worth the extra 15 bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependably Good, October 24, 2013
I reccommend this brand for the great company that sells it and the consistent, good taste. Just use a little funnel if you're going to put it into little jars. It's a little messy the way it pours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Tasting, April 24, 2013
R. Henneke "rchbih" (Brownsville, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I think this brand of Stevia is the most natural tasting. I don't find any aftertaste in using it. Great way to sweeten drinks, cereal, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak and Chemical Aftertaste, September 21, 2013
Very dissapointing, this Stevia is weak and has a chemical aftertaste. The large bottle is useless since it takes so many drops for the sweetness to take effect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product would have been good were it not for poor packaging causing leaking., July 7, 2014
The 2 Pack came wrapped in one thin layer of plastic wrap, no bubble wrap or anything else to protect it. When we opened the Amazon box other products from other manufacturers were wrapped properly and arrived in perfect shape. The box itself was not damaged in any way. However, it's obvious this product was not wrapped properly and both bottles appeared to leak since both did not appear full and both bottles were coated with stevia liquid which crystallized once the single layer of wrap was peeled away.

NOW Foods Better Stevia Original Liquid Extract, 8 Ounce Bottle