Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on May 23, 2011
Lax's account of his years in Vegas is great for readers who want a behind the scenes look at the City of Sin. From magic tricks to prostitution, Lax covers it all via a framework of deception (that being his theme throughout). It's a fast read, but really interesting; it's filled with things you may never have known otherwise. He doesn't dumb things down but also explains terms that maybe some of us may not know (e.g. I learned what a slipknot was in the world of bartending). I think you really need to at least like Vegas to enjoy this book, but again the theme is deception so even if you don't there is something to be learned. I enjoyed the footnotes--some funny--but some with valuable insights from sociologists and psychologists on lying and deception.
I hate when authors try to be funny and they aren't--Lax is not one of those authors. He is genuinely entertaining and tells a wicked story.
I read it in one day.
on June 5, 2011
I enjoy reading books on Vegas so when I saw this book on the Kindle I decided to take a chance and it was great. I actually read the book on a flight to Vegas so the book was a little more intriguing for me. The interviews and stories he shared about hookers/escorts/models were pretty fascinating and plus any guy that can go to Vegas with his mom and strike up a conversation with a hooker is pretty sweet. If you like books on Vegas you'll enjoy this.
VINE VOICEon January 25, 2014
I don't remember how/why I picked up this book to read off the internet but it seemed to be interesting. And this Lawyer to be from Chicago visits/stays/writes of Las Vegas and the hidden world of illusion, be it magicians, hookers, card sharks or any other method to separate tourists from their money. Woven into this premise is the 6'1" showgirl roommate which always assures you will have my attention. And the intrigue of a beautiful bartender/part-time model/part-time girlfriend. Is she for real or another typical Las Vegas illusion. Can he destroy his future or find happiness in Vegas?

Overall this is an uneven but generally interesting book that is not too long of a read to invest your time. It's written in a young voice that provides some humor making it additionally enjoyable. Not ground breaking but an interesting story
on September 29, 2014
Compared to some of the other casino and gambling books like "COMPED" and "WHALE HUNT IN THE DESERT" which I have read recently this book is a waste of time. The first chapter is reasonably good and the writing style is casual but the author is no literary genius and his knowledge about ladies of the night is not first hand.
on April 30, 2013
Las Vegas is a great place. Like the author, I'm from Detroit and Chicago and I love Las Vegas as well. However, what his account of his activities there offer potential readers is beyond me. He had really milquetoast "adventures." The stories are dull and the prose is artless. The author sounds like a nice guy, but this book wasn't even remotely entertaining. He's also pretty politically indoctrinated. Thinking that staring at a woman when you're at a poker table is "misogynistic" or "sexist" is the stuff of brain dead politically correct drones. I feel sorry for "men" who think as he does. Save your money. It offers no laughs, thrills or education in my humble opinion.
on January 5, 2012
Thought it'd be a great book, but the author was a little too focused chasing skirt and too obsessed with magic for my tastes. Too little storytelling, too much borrowing from other books to get me interested in it.
on January 5, 2011
I have a large collection of books about Vegas. I ordered this one after reading an excerpt that was in Cardplayer magazine. I read through it in a day. It's not the next Catcher in the Rye but the story is very real, the people are interesting and it is well worth buying if you like Las Vegas and good stories.
on April 11, 2011
I love books on Las Vegas, especially books that I can relate to. As a Las Vegas performer for over 14years and resident for 25 years, I must say that there arent enough books written about our city, and the ones I do read arent entertaining at all. Rick Lax has a very light, witty and sarcastic humor to his real life adventures in Sin City. Even though he has only been in the city less than a few years, he has managed to ingratiate himself with some very interesting subjects such as; a few world famous magicians, some poker players, showgirls, dancers and locals who share there time with him graciously.
Overall, the book was easy to read and fun. It took me less than two days to finish cover to cover.
I enjoyed it very much and I would highly reccommend reading if traveling or interested in Las Vegas.

aka: vegazshowgirl
on May 3, 2011
This book was fun. It kept me engrossed over a weekend. That is quite a feat since I tend not to start, much less finish books. Rick tells a good story with a wry sense of humor blended throughout. Since he writes for a local paper I am hoping he can put together a collection of stories from his column for his next book.

Well done!
on March 15, 2011
Loved it from the first page to the last. This book is a fast read because it keeps you interested from beginning to end and it peaks your interest into learning more about the subject. Cool writing style, Clever footnotes. All the makings of a guys guys book! Looking forward to more from this up and coming author!