Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on May 31, 2012
Don't Listen to the fools that dislike this movie, the only reason they do not like it is likely bc it's not the typical form of movie they go for. With movies like Harry Potter, Transformers, Iron Man, Avengers, Battleship, etc., it is easy to overlook smaller movies like this. People are now accustomed to seeing big budget action/adventure films so movie like this are quickly dismissed. It is a pretty good movie, not excellent but worth watching.
on September 25, 2012
Ok, so this isn't some sort of cinematic art or big special effects extravaganza. Why people are reviewing this negatively because of the two stars, makes no sense to me. Since when do people expect much from Matthew McConaughey or Kate Hudson? Kate was really good in Almost Famous, but other than that I haven't been blown away by her or Matthew for that matter, in fact, I can't even think of him ever not playing some dolt without his accent. This movie harkens back to something like Overboard with its chemistry of two stars who would seem like an odd pair from different walks of life. While Matthew is no Kurt Russell, I think Kate is better than her mother ever was. So these two have pretty good chemistry together and then you shoot this movie in the best parts of Australia with great actors like Ray Winstone and Kevin Hart and Donald Sutherland and make it an adventure film, then you've got something really good. The movie is paced well, shot well and it looks great on Blu-Ray. Poor supplemental features, but I bought this for the movie so I'm not too bummed about the lack of extras. If you like adventure films and video games, you'll probably like this. I am a big fan of the video game series Uncharted, this movie reminds me of that series only not as funny or dangerous, but this movie is still witty and adventurous. I like this movie a lot, get It on sale and then if you don't like it, you won't feel like you got ripped off.
Benjamin "Finn" Finnegan (Matthew McConaughey) is a beach bum with an interest in treasure hunts. He's also hardly responsible, which is why he sets his boat on fire and sinks it not too long after we meet him.

Tess Finnegan (Kate Hudson) has had enough. She's taken a job aboard millionaire Nigel Honeycutt's (Donald Sutherland) yacht. And she's divorcing Finn.

Finn's latest quest is the Queen's Dowry, a treasure lost almost 300 years ago. In fact, he's found a piece of it. Now all he needs is financial backing. His irresponsibility has left his last backer rather mad at him. So he decides to get Nigel's help, completely unaware that Nigel is Tess's new boss.

Unfortunately, the shipwreck is somewhere around the island owned by dangerous rapper Bigg Bunny (Kevin Hart). As in Finn's last investor. Can they find the treasure without Bigg getting his hands on it? Can Finn win Tess back in the process?

Let's be honest, this is mindless, predictable entertainment. Especially since the previews gave away many of the key scenes. But it is fun.

It's trying to be a action comedy. It had some laughs, but there weren't as many as I had hoped. The funniest scenes involved Nigel's daughter Gemma as played by Alexis Dziena. Anytime she was on screen, I was guaranteed a laugh. Most of the action in the film was played for laughs as well, and is over the top. Then again, what action movie isn't over the top? Even the exposition scene near the beginning that is key to understanding how Tess and Finn got started on this trail wasn't that great. I couldn't follow it, and I tried.

So why did I like it? Because of the characters. I really did care for all of them. Well, the good guys anyway. Credit for this obviously goes to the actors who are obviously having so much fun making the film. Frankly, they made it hard for me not to like it.

It may make me a fool, but I enjoyed this movie. You may not want to rush out and watch it, but if you get a chance, I bet you would enjoy it.
on September 6, 2012
A fun, typical beachy-adventuresome movie. Mixes that relaxing island feel with some historical adventure. The dialoge is fun and Kate and Matthew work well together. Not a movie to take seriously but definitely a great movie to have to put in when you are feeling the need for some tropical, island time, or just some laughs.
on August 11, 2015
I've heard several people making fun of this movie, but I love it. I really enjoy the tropical music and Matthew Mcconaughey's character. The locations are beautiful. Having been to Key West I was looking forward to seeing some familiar locations and reminiscing over a lovely vacation, but was disappointed when I didn't recognize anything. This is because the movie was filmed in Australia due to hurricane season. But wow the locations are beautiful! If you have been to Key West and are familiar with Mel Fisher a lot of things will seem familiar. The character Moe Fitch is loosely based on him. Kevin Hart's character is a little annoying (who could ever take him seriously as a gangster?) but overall this movie is pretty fun.
on June 20, 2008
I think a lot of people went into this movie expecting another lightweight comedy from this duo, but got a lot more. I went to see it with a female friend who loved "How to Lose a Guy", but isn't really into action movies. Well I loved it, and she not so much. Besides the entertaining storyline, the breathtaking scenery really steals the show. It's like going on a tropical vacation for 90 minutes, except you can drink the water. I don't think you can really qualify this as a chick flick, but it's earned a spot on my blu-ray shelf, and for a guy that's a lot.
on April 6, 2015
Was cute. I think the story was a little hard for younger kids to follow. Nothing terribly inappropriate, but very slight language, one non-graphic sexual situation, and some blood (2 deaths I think). Not a bad pick for a family movie night.
on May 25, 2014
First, this is not a serious piece. It is not thought provoking. It is a lighthearted comedy! And it does this well.
Yes, Finn is a rascally jerk. But this is COMEDY & Matthew makes the character zing!
Kate Hudson is an excellent actress and excels in whatever role she plays.
Matthew McConaughey, Kate and a very good supporting cast make this a very funny movie well worth watching.
I thoroughly enjoy watching McConaughey & Hudson work together. I hope they do more comedies in the future. I will be watching for them.
on January 11, 2015
gotta love treasure stories and this is a good one! I can't count the many times i've seen this film.. love the caribbean although i've only been there once, this movie brings back my memories of those beautiful blue waters..I guess that's the part i enjoy the most.. the story is good too! DVD was in excellent condition as guaranteed by the seller
on July 15, 2015
At times this movie can be real funny with a twist of romance,and excitement...I enjoyed it.The most beautiful scenery of the ocean.Underwater and the beach.And the turtle was awesome.Swimming with a sea turtle awesome.