Published on March 19, 2012 by Avisso

1.0 out of 5 stars why mess with a classic?
This horrible remake of a classic cult movie is just wrong on so many levels. It's like trying to remake Coke... you just don't mess with something that is already great!
Published on March 16, 2012 by ace

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! Your kids will love it just like you did back in '84!, March 19, 2012
They remade Footloose? I groaned when I even thought about how bad this was going to be. I liked the original, and didn't even consider seeing this when it came out at the theatre. Flash forward to a cold and rainy night, and my teenage kids decide to rent this on pay per view. I groan again, thinking how awful this is going to be. I couldn't even watch it, so I puttered around the house doing everything else but sit there and watch a somewhat iconic movie be destroyed. Two hours later, and my kids could not stop talking about it. They loved it. Curious, I plopped down and watched it. They wanted to see it again. I was shocked. The first thing that grabs your attention is how my kids kept thinking the clothes and hair were cool. I told them that in the ancient 80's, we used to flip our collars up, have our pants cinched at the ankles, and wear our hair short on the sides and long on top. I also told them we used to dance. It was a blast from the past, but a bridge to the present. The story seemed fresh to the teenagers, and was even fresh to me. The dancing is great. The acting is decent, and this movie is fun. There are a few scenes that are not appropriate for younger kids (a girl having sex for the first time, drug references, underage drinking, a girl getting slapped by her boyfriend, some swearing), but very tame stuff when compared to the groundbreaking stuff John Hughes did in the 80's. It was a way to connect with the kids. The movie is certainly way better than expected. Way better than the garbage some remakes are. Well done. Well done indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Footloose (DVD)
From Tom Cruise getting down in his tighty whiteys in "Risky Business" to Jennifer Grey having the time of her life in "Dirty Dancing", eighties movies were filled with great moments involving dancing. They were one of a kind, and can't be recreated with the same impact. If you asked me before I saw the reviews, I would have said that the cinematic world did not need a remake of "Footloose." Mainly, because I can't think of a remake of an eighties' film that bettered the original. In this case, I've only seen bits of the original, so I thought this was pretty good.

The plot is the same as the `84 version. When a group of teens are killed in a drunk driving accident, the minister (Dennis Quaid) whose son has also died, and the town officials ban virtually everything teens do for recreation, including dancing. (Drag racing busses aflame, does get a pass.) Three years later, Bobby's younger sister, Ariel, played by Julianne Hough, is busy doing everything that's been banned and not caring if she's caught. She also has the requisite bad boy older boyfriend, who doesn't respect her. Naturally, she's a perfect match for new kid in town Ren (Kenny Wormald reprising the Kevin Bacon role), who's moved in with his uncle's family, following the death of his mom from cancer. Ren is a good kid, but after a series of run-ins with the local authorities, he decides to cut loose, kick off his Sunday shoes and with his new friends, get the ban on dancing revoked.

The lead does a good job, but if you ask me, Miles Teller, playing Ren's pal who must overcome his fears of being a "dancing dork" stole the show. Also excellent is Andie McDowell, in the role of the preacher's wife, who has stood by her man for too long and is about to tell him some uncomfortable truths. Oh yes, and the dancing is totally awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting tribute and a film of its own, March 10, 2012
Lee St Clair (Miami, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Footloose (DVD)
I dragged two friends to see Footloose with Kevin Bacon when it premiered in Seattle. They didn't care very much for the film. I, on the other hand, loved it. I had never heard of Kevin Bacon, but I became and instant fan. I have watched everything he has done, right down to the episodes of The Closer that he directed.

I own 6 DVDs of Hamlet. Should I say that since Laurence Olivier filmed Hamlet there is now no room for anyone else to do so? Are David Tennant, Derek Jacobi and Christopher Plummer to be seen as "upstart crows" who have nothing new to add? I mean, Olivier! How do you top that? Or could we see Tennant and Jacobi and Plummer as actors with a different interpretation?

And, could we not look at the remake of Footloose as a different interpretation rather than seeing it as a replacement? I loved Kevin Bacon and Lori Singer. But, I was a Kenny Warmold fan from the moment I saw him in Center Stage: Step It Up. As Ren MacCormack he shines, for me, as innocence and determination combined. And Julianne Hough -- what a revelation !! I mean, we knew she could dance. But, as an actress, she blew me away !!! And what a find in Miles Teller. He was hip, cool, and funny all at the same time.

I don't see this rendition of Footloose as a would-be replacement of the original. I see it as a new interpretation of a story that will never grow old. And, as such, I welcome it, I embrace it, and I commend it.

Two great versions of the same story!! Who could ask for anything more?

1.0 out of 5 stars why mess with a classic?, March 16, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 27, 2011
At first when I read about Footloose being remade, I wasn't very happy about it because I grew up watching Kevin Bacon in the original one. I thought he did a very good job. I looked into it more and more on the internet and found out about it more. I found out that it was going to be country and not rock like the first one. it was going to be a little different but still have the same characters and the same plot. I saw previews and thought, why not give it a try since the main star, Kenny Wormald, looked pretty good in it. I took my eight year old son to it when it first came out to theaters and had a blast watching it. A couple weeks later, I took the whole family to it because I liked it so much. There are some remakes that they shouldn't touch but this one, was a good one because you cant really say remake to this...its just a country version of it. Some people dont like rock so if you are one of those country types, a Kenny Wormald fan(like me) or just a movie lover, this movie is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun movie to watch., October 23, 2011
This review is from: Footloose (DVD)
This is a remake of an iconic 1980's film about a town that has banned dancing for its young residents. A young man moves in from Boston and tries to change the law. This one features some very solid performances, and the interaction between the characters is the strong suit of the movie. There are some good dance sequences, and storyline is still a good fit for the modern era. Julianne Hough is a rebellious young woman trying to establish her own identity apart from being the preacher's daughter. She is terrific, as well as being absolutely gorgeous. This is a fun movie that I could see again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, November 28, 2012
Anyone who thinks this is a good remake should be committed. The acting is a joke. The Preacher is pathetic and weak, not a domineering presence like in the first one. Ariel is self centered and uninteresting. Chuck is barely even a rival, and Ren is impossible to empathize with as he comes off as disrespectful and unnecessarily cocky, like a lot of kids nowadays. This movie is like watching a poorly directed bubble gum commercial, and would actually make a great example of what not to do in a movie, as though they've basically stuck with the original storyline, the scenes utterly lack the poignant moments and emotions of the first one, and the dialogue just tries to explain the story so much that it is terribly unrealistic, unlike the first one. It's a good indication of what ridiculous taste this country has now, as it really seems to have no heart and soul like the first one did. It's sad to see that people don't know the difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised!, April 28, 2014
Kim Seibert (LANCASTER, PA, US) - See all my reviews
I thought I would have been totally negative about the movie, but I thought it was well done. I thought they didn't need to bring drugs into it, but the reality is that too many kids are doing drugs and alcohol that it needed to be addressed. I thought the updates were done well. I'm actually thinking about buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Remake, April 22, 2014
I have to say...as much as I love Kevin Bacon and the rest of the cast, this has to be one out perhaps four or five movies of all time where I prefer the re-make to the original. Not a big C&W music fan, but the music is kicky enough to make even me want to dance. Kenny Wormald NAILED the Boston accent...don't know where's he really from, but he's spot on. The only other non-native I can think of in recent memory to do a faithful Boston accent (one of the hardest accents out there) is Cliff Clavin from Cheers, lol. I kept replaying certain areas where Wormald was particularly skillful--made me think of home. (Just looked it up while writing this, and it turns out the young Mr. Wormald is from Boston; I'm glad to see they didn't try to drum his accent out of him yet!)

I was already a big Julianne Hough fan--she was terrific in Burlesque. She has such a brightness about her, and she's talented and graceful. Miles Teller as Willard was a riot, and a great dancer at that. This was just one of those movies that lent itself well to an upgrade, and they didn't change the fundamental story. I actually liked the changes; the circumstances set up for these young people were well-explained (no spoiler alerts in case someone hasn't seen it yet) and provided enough tension to force the challenge to Bomont's laws. Lots of positive and meaningful messages here for younger people as well as adults. Two thumbs up on this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the original but the remake was just as good if not better, April 19, 2014
Okay..

I am old... yes... old... and I remember the 1st one and it was excellent for it's time, the remake stands up to it and maybe even does it a bit better as they give more information on why exactly the idea of the no-dance policy and how in the end you can not stop your children from growing up.. also just telling your kids now adays to NOT do something is a sure fire way to get them to do it., kids like to rebel however kids now adays do it the wrong way.. in this movie I like to think they did it the right way.

Thanks for reading this

Footloose
Footloose by Craig Brewer (DVD - 2012)
$19.99 $14.29