Published on September 27, 2011 by John J. Martinez

Published on October 4, 2011 by Calley319

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting footloose with the old yet new sound of an updated classic..., September 27, 2011
John J. Martinez (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't think I was ever going to see a remake of an already classic film, and then I remembered the soundtrack (for it's time) became a huge hit itself. Well, here it is over 25 years later, and most of the people who perform on this album weren't even born when it first came out back in 1984! (They made the fictional town of Bomont, Utah in Tennessee, and he's no longer from Chicago, he's from - Boston?)

Anyway, I hoped I wasn't too biased about it as I loved the original soundtrack - I was just turning 20 myself and this was on everybody's cassette radio players! Anyway, here goes, it's been updated with new songs, updates of old classics, and a lot more.

12 songs totaling 55 minutes:

01. Blake Shelton - Footloose - it's a radical departure from the Kenny Loggins original, to be sure, but it's got that new-country-meets-lite-rock good time happy feeling, y'all! Besides, wasn't that the point of the original movie? It's fun without being insulting to the spirit of the original.

02. Zac Brown of The Zac Brown Band - Where The River Goes - a lot of country-rock is featured here, and who better to represent the youth of America? This is a nice instantly classic lazy tune to play when you're just getting lazy on a hot summer afternoon.

03. Lissie - Little Lovin' - she was only born a few years before the original film, but her rural Illinois upbringing mixed with her wonderful voice (only until now heard mostly in Europe) showcases her talent for giving that urgent sound, straight out of a young Stevie Nicks songbook, but with a hipper twist. A great song!

04. Ella Mae Bowen - Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler is going to have to wonder when she hears this "what was wrong with my version?" Well, Bonnie, your version almost got toppled by a 15 year old South Carolina girl with a voice 20 years beyond her years. Good God, I never thought that a song like this could have been reworked like this, but Ella Mae succeeds and shoots for the moon, and she takes a classic rocker and turns into a version worthy of something the singing group The Chapin Sisters would have done - raw, quiet, but powerful. Girl power, indeed!

05. Jana Kramer - Let's Hear It For The Boy - Here is where it gets a little bumpy - Oh, Jana Rae... I'm sorry, she's now just "Jana," listed as "actress and country music singer..." She unfortunately totally copies so many female country singers out there right now that may have sang in this "country twang" way that it lacks any kind of originality. Shame, though, I expected better. The song arrangement is good, but her vocals leave me cold.

06. Whitney Duncan - So Sorry Mama - this is a great track, back to the right direction, and once again youth is king. She's got a original sound and the country-fying is top notch here. It's a danceable tune and will probably be a hit on the country radio.

07. Big & Rich - Fake I.D. (featuring Gretchen Wilson) - Big and Rich know how to sing a song, and they know how to sell the song. Once Gretchen's voice jumps in she won't let go, and this song proves why they're some of the top draws in country today. This is a real rocker and is a serious foot stomper!

08. Victoria Justice & Hunter Hayes - Almost Paradise - Victoria is 18 years old as of this writing. Hunter is only 20. I have cassettes older than both of them combined. I really dreaded listening to this song because I was there the first time back in 1984 in the theater listening to this song and I didn't want to let it go... but guess what? They give it a tenderness and depth I didn't think was possible to go any further than Mike Reno and Ann Wilson ever could. These two aren't screaming the song out loud in passion, they're making it intimate because they know their limits vocally with their subtle quietness. That's the power of country music. I may still like the original, but... I'm old. The younger generation will love this, though. It'll be played in proms worldwide in 2012 and for years to come, guaranteed.

09. Cee-Lo Green - Walkin' Blues (featuring Kenny Wayne Shepherd) - I was pretty worried about anyone messing with the legendary Robert Johnson's classic blues standard... and I was right. Overblown "authenticity," just too loud, and just trying too hard to make gold out of lead. It's still lead, guys. Are they using ELECTRIC slide guitars? It's sacrilege, plain and simple. Please Google the Man, Robert Johnson, and listen to the original... I hope you agree with me.

10. Jason Freeman - Magic In My Home - This is the man who was personally picked to play on the now-legendary film "Black Snake Moan," and he wastes no time proving why he can play the blues. This song is lean, mean, ugly and loud, and oh yeah this is one my personal new favorite songs off the entire album. I listened to it three times, and every time it got grittier and grimier. Beautiful.

11. A Thousand Horses - Suicide Eyes - these five young boys are Southern Rock personified - could they be the new Black Crowes? They rock this song right off the wheels. It's got a touch of young Led Zeppelin with heavy drum work, brassy guitars and great lyrics.

12. David Banner (featuring Denim) - Dance The Night Away - this song could have been left off, but I guess they needed to fill out some kind of demographic need to add what most teens are listening to now - 808 beats and rappers signing about sex. It's a shame, but this song is probably going to be used in place of the song "Dancing In the Sheets" by Shalamar to showcase the sexual tension between the two teen leads. Count on it. And this is what they end the album with. It's too bad, really.

(On the deluxe version, there's three additional songs listed as "inspired by Footloose," which means they're probably not in the film, but were tacked on for whatever reason record execs do things like that. I'm not reviewing them because they're not part of the movie.)

Overall, I'm giving the album 4 stars. A few of the songs didn't fit here, and that's the only reason I'm not giving it five.

Yes, the songs performed here (most of them) are going to be original instant classics, especially Ella Mae and Jason's. This album has a great youthful sound, and was designed (along with the film too I'll bet) to appeal to the youth of now, not 1984. The new film is supposed to just a little more faithful screenplay than the original movie, so I can only venture that rock-and-roll meeting country isn't such a bad thing (and never has been, ask Elvis and Buddy Holly), the blues can still be appreciated, and as I said before... youth MUST be served! So I say buy it for (most of) the songs, as they got me toe tappin' to (most of) them.

The original film was an analogy about the eternal struggle between young and old, and in the end they danced, and they enjoyed their time in the sun, and their music reflected the time we (us old people) lived in, and this album (almost) is the soundtrack for now, about teens now, regardless of what we old folk may revere about the original.

(Thanks for reading, and either vote or comment if you liked it or hated it.)

1.0 out of 5 stars The new movie is fantastic, this soundtrack is almost garbage, October 4, 2011
I saw the movie at a sneak preview in Austin, TX. I was in the no way should they redo Footloose camp. Then I saw the movie and was an immediate fan. The music in the movie is SOOOO much better then the crap on this soundtrack. This soundtrack is way to heavy in the singer/songwriter style of music, and has a lot of county. There are songs from the new movie completely missing. This "soundtrack" is very disappointing. It should really be called a CD inspired by the movie Footloose, cuz people, it ain't the soundtrack to the movie. Don't bother buying this unless you're into singer/songwriter style and are looking for something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Soundtrack!, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture (Audio CD)
As I read through all of the reviews for this album there was one very common theme....everyone seemed to be comparing it to the original. This was not the original movie and this is indeed not the original soundtrack. No sense comparing the two. They are two very separate things and if you didn't like the remake or album in comparison, it is no reason to mark this one down. It is a great album in itself. I could care less if it's not like any other album, that's the fun thing about music, all albums are different and that is what makes music awesome. I absolutely loved Blake Shelton's cover of "Footloose" and think this album is overall a lot of fun to listen to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Most of the songs do not compare with the original., October 30, 2011
Go listen to the original Footloose movie soundtrack and compare song per song. As an example "Holding out for a Hero" original song by Bonnie Tyler is inspiring and has a great dance beat compared to the new rendition which does not even resemble the great sound and composition of the original.

In fact compare the whole movie to the original. The new movie seems a pale imitation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Inspired here..., October 14, 2011
This review is from: Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture (Audio CD)
Folks, I'm not some old fuddy-duddy who can't appreciate a cover song. Gretchen Wilson covering Barracuda? Rockin'. Alison Krauss covering the Foundations? Awesome. Rascal Flatts covering Life is a Highway? Too cool.

However, this CD is a hideously overproduced mish-mash of inferior remakes and unmemorable originals. The worst of the remakes is "Holding Out for a Hero" which turns an upbeat anthem into a whiny plea for a boyfriend. Blake Shelton's effort on "Footloose" is at least tolerable but loses all of the soul and passion of Kenny Loggin's version. The original songs aren't much better. They finish it off (if you can get that far) by putting a token hip-hop song on an album full of country and blues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture (Audio CD)
Love the remakes of the songs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked the movie enough to buy the music, June 2, 2014
Sue (Knoxville, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
I really liked this movie so, I wanted the music to go along with it. It was very upbeat music!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as the original soundtrack, January 17, 2014
I purchased the soundtrack and was completely disappointed. Not as good as the original soundtrack....I would suggest purchasing the original soundtrack before purchasing the rereleased movie soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my faves, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture (Audio CD)
one of the best soundtracks ever and of all time. I think that there might be 2 songs that I don't like and the rest are awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars A second best, September 8, 2013
Jan Mayszak (PERU, ILLINOIS, US) - See all my reviews
Although I like the original better this album is still good. Not a country music fan but this has enough of the old to make it good.

Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture
Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies