Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

95%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 19, 2009
Some of my favorite books are those that plant an idea into the mind of a child and really get the imagination racing. I love to see the wheels turning and hear the wild thoughts that burst forth. After reading this, every child will come up with half a dozen animals they would like to be transformed into!

The entire book is built on a simple premise with great execution. Just one question with nine unique responses: If you could be an animal for just one day, what would you be and why? The answers are produced in both beautiful and comical illustrations.

The little boy telling the story has one heck of an imagination. If he could swim the Nile, he would be be a creeping crocodile. But not just any croc, you know. This one wears a tiny red hat and has the sharpest, snapping smile.

Many of the animals pictured have taken on some of the human characteristics or appearances. The rabbit hops along in a striped shirt and green overalls, while the porcupine lazes back, writing in her journal. The illustrations are bright and clever, and altogether very enjoyable.

The only question remaining after reading this book is - what will your kids come up with? In addition to the animals mentioned here, ours wanted to be a gorilla, a one-humped camel and a slow-moving turtle. The very last page includes a little surprise - a shiny mirror that reflects back the most special someone in the whole world.
on November 24, 2009
A sweet, empowering story of imagination and self-esteem. And best of all - the fantastic artwork of Marc Boutavant. A classic!
This book is perfect for story time. A group of children take turns imagining what animals they would be for just one day. The rhyming is great and gives a good opportunity for group participation because of it's predictability. Each page ends in an ellipse and you have to turn the page to discover what that child wants to be. It doesn't take long for the group to catch on to the pattern and the rhymes are easy enough that you are sure to get some right answers among older preschoolers. The message is well delivered without being preachy. It's great to pretend, but the best thing to be is yourself!
on February 1, 2014
I saw this in a book store but I knew I could get a better price on Amazon. Its so imaginative and beautifully done. Perfect for young kids. Would you be a rattle snake? A bear? A porcupine? I absolutely love the illustrations- my key factor in choosing a book, but I like everything about this book.
on February 22, 2016
This is a great book: the artwork is beautiful, it has a nice rhythm, it's imaginative, and about self-acceptance. I only wish the mirror was on the back cover instead of one of the pages, though - it got messed up within a month. Oh well.
on March 3, 2015
This is a perfect book! The drawings are intricate and beautiful, the prose is sweet and easy, and the end is a lovely little surprise with a tiny little mirror that my baby daughter loves. This is a must have book for any kid, perfect gift for a new mom baby shower.
on January 5, 2013
I got this book from the library for my son and it is hands down the cutest book I have ever seen - I had to buy it right away!
Marc Boutavant's illustrations are amazing - and the writing is perfect. My son is 4 and he loves it. We've read it so often he's memorized the words on each page - and he loves to read it with me. The kids on each page of the book each imagine they are a different type of animal - so cute and fun. I highly recommend this book - it's adorable!
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2011
We got this book when our twin girls were about 3 years old and we all still love it. I like the cadence and rhyming, well done, and the illustrations are of course fabulous courtesy of the amazing Marc Boutavant. For little ones (7 and under) it is a good length and with enough words to not be too baby-ish. I like the message about like being oneself, and the girls still go nuts every time at the end when the get to look in the little mirror on the last page and say ME. They also still get into saying the animal on the next page that completes the rhyme. I definitely think all little ones should have a copy of this book!
on July 4, 2010
This is a staple in our bedtime routine. Our 2.5 yr old adores this book and asks for it every night, and we don't mind reading it for the gazillionth time because we love it too. It has a great rhythm to it, it's smart and respectful, and the beautiful art work intrigues questions.
on November 25, 2013
Great illustrations by Marc Boutavant and a lovely yet simple story. Service was fast and good. The book arrived safely with two others. My child likes to look at this book over and over again.