5.0 out of 5 stars For Lovers Only *beware spoilers*
Published on July 11, 2011 by K. Joy

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... Not Bad... Not Great
I'll just get right to the point. I'm not going to get into the details of the plot since they've been mentioned in more than one review already, so I'll tell you what I thought. Like most everyone else I discovered this movie being a fan of Castle and Stana Katic, and I was very eager to watch it.

Overall, the movie was just okay. The film had it's moments,...
Published on October 20, 2011 by gunsandgurls411

5.0 out of 5 stars For Lovers Only *beware spoilers*, July 11, 2011
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)
For Lovers Only is like nothing I've ever seen before. Despite the irony of the affair what beautiful honesty! The love and intimacy between Yves & Sofia was so real and the sentiments and descriptions of love so heartfelt and true. For Lovers Only is everything from beautiful to funny to heartbreaking and back again. It takes you on the most amazingly beautiful journey of love I've ever seen told in a movie.

There is so much heartbreaking beauty and honesty in the dialogue of For Lovers Only. And as a perfect counterpart the amazing humour always hits the spot, and is just as honest as the love and emotion.

The beauty of the black and white really added to the overall feel, intimacy and heart of the story being told and Michael's direction was superb. Every shot told a story and gave you something to look at and added to the emotional experience.

The music fit each scene and moment perfectly. Be it to lead into a moment or carry us through a scene the music was beautiful and became part of the story.

Casting Stana Katic as Sofia was a stroke of genius! The honesty, soul and freedom of her acting are unequalled. It's so completely captivating, memorising and awe inspiring. She captures Sofia perfectly and brings to life a woman who is completely free, with an amazing passion, but also a childlike innocence in the way she sees the world.

Mark Polish was also compelling and captivating as Yves. His portrayal of Yves was so tender and passionate. He is a man who loves with all his heart and then some. He knew Sofia like the back of his hand and Mark portrayed this brilliantly.

Yves & Sofia's love story is so captivating, honest, beautiful, breathtaking and heart wrenching! To build lives with people that never measured up, to have that one person who makes you complete and then have to go back to that life that you never felt like you fit into when your heart belongs to another was so heartbreaking. Yves & Sofia had the most epic of love stories that could never be. It was a heartbreaking case of if only...

I feel like there are four integrals moments that lead up to captivating love story being told and each one delivers perfectly.

Firstly: I loved the moment when they saw each other again for the first time. They didn't need more words then were exchanged. It was written all over their faces. This scene is so powerful, so many emotions cross their faces all at once. I also loved how the music just ceased when they saw each other and in that split second they were right back where they were all those years ago. The fact that this scene didn't change since Mark first wrote just goes to prove that we should all trust our instincts and not second guess ourselves.

Secondly: From the moment they meet up in the restaurant it's like they were never apart and all the heartache they had been carrying with them all those years just evaporated. They never forgot the little quirks and eccentricities that made up the other. It's like every moment, and every memory was captured in their heads and hearts, stored for safe keeping.

Thirdly: The scene where they lay out their cards for the first time, finding out what they have been doing with their lives, realising just how much their separation has affected how their lives have unfolded. The delivery of the dialogue when they talk about what they are doing in this moment is so tender and their emotions just hang between them like a question. Again the music when they first kiss fits the emotions of the scene perfectly and really adds to the moment.

Forth: I love that when Sofia sees Yves outside her apartment she walks right into his personal space and without words they just know... It's like they are intrinsically connected and can communicate just by being in the same space.

The freedom, fun and intimacy between Yves and Sofia were brought to life by the amazing onscreen chemistry between Mark and Stana. They played off each superbly. When one was acting the other was reacting. Be it to dialogue, looks or actions (like when Yves was playing with Sofia's tongue when she was sucking his finger). I loved the tender moments between them when they were playing with each others hands or hair. This was so mesmerising, intimate and tender. And like the dialogue these intimate moments were beautifully contrast with fun moments like spinning around together, lover's leap, the chocolate scene, the motorbike scene and dancing down stairs while knocking on doors. The love and playfulness were intertwined in such a way that we saw just how much these two people loved being in each other's presence.

I also enjoyed the added touches like the use of sunglasses when Yves and Sofia wanted to hide the emotions that their eyes would give up in a heartbeat. Or when Sofia was playing with the flower on the beach, it really added to her feelings as she subconsciously twirled it. I also love that you can tell Sofia has gotten really contemplative at the end of the discussion about their love being made known, because it's the one time during that scene she doesn't bite Yves' finger when he strokes her jaw. The single tear that runs down her cheek is also heartbreaking.

I could seriously go on for pages about all the things I love and fell in love with in this movie.

Watching For Lovers Only was definitely an intimate experience. The connection I made with this film is like with no other movie, and it just grows with each viewing. I have laughed and cried with Yves and Sofia numerous times already.

Thank you so much Mark, Stana and Michael for bringing to life this epically beautiful and awe inspiring masterpiece. It has touched my heart like nothing before.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... Not Bad... Not Great, October 20, 2011
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)

Overall, the movie was just okay. The film had it's moments, but overall just didn't have a big impression on me. The black & white cinematography was a nice touch, but the sound suffers. There are a handful of moments where it's hard to hear what the characters are saying, but what bothered me the most was the ambient voice around them which got to be somewhat excessive. The music throughout the film is absolutely lovely, and fits the film very well. I particularly liked the opening song "La Noyee."

As for our two co-stars - Stana is stellar and definitely plays her part very well and she comes off as very believable. Polish is just okay. Sometimes he does ok, and other times it just feels phony. The film as whole doesn't really hold it's own compared to other romance films. Some will obviously feel differently, but I just felt that their relationship was a little to physical to my liking. I didn't get the impression that there was any real substance to their relationship, at least until about the last third of movie when reality really started to kick in for the characters. To be fair, I don't think I've ever been truly in love with someone before, so who am I to judge?

Overall, the film was definitely overhyped a little. For an indie film it's okay, and there definitely moments throughout the film when the couple is just talking that things feel really genuine and honest, but as whole it just didn't do it for me. I am a little disappointed. I would definitely recommend at least renting it, but certainly don't go out and buy it on a whim.

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est Magnifique, July 21, 2011
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)
While I had seen a few of the Polish Brothers other moves, namely `Twin Falls Idaho' and `Northfork' I freely admit I may not have been aware of `For Lovers Only' if I didn't follow Stana Katic on Twitter. We all know what a great job Stana has been doing in the role of Kate Beckett in Castle for the past 3 seasons so any other project that she is involved with deserves a peek, right?

Are you tired/bored with the usual Hollywood CGI laden, big bang, beat `em up fare? Like me, do you need to be emotionally invested in a movie? If the answer is "yes" then `For Lovers Only' is definitely the movie for you.

It quite simply couldn't be any further from your `conventional movie' and trust me it doesn't suffer for it in the slightest. What Mark Polish has written is an honest and heartfelt depiction of being in love - not just the joys but also the sorrows.

`For Lovers Only' was conceived under the radar, with zero budget and zero marketing. The movie was shot with a tiny crew on the fly while travelling throughout France over a short period of time. There are no sets, no artificial lighting just amazing scenery, architecture and touching performances.

The director, Michael Polish has done a magnificent job in capturing the tone of this movie. Filmed in black and white with a digital SLR camera he has managed to create the most romantic and almost ethereal feeling - it looks timeless. I don't know how he's done it but Michael has managed to make Stana look even more stunning!

When we first met former lovers Yves (Mark Polish) and Sofia (Stana Katic) they seem to be only half a person, barely functioning. When they bump into each other again in Paris after 8 years apart it is palpable. It's almost like they've been hit by a truck, no words are necessary as it's written all over their faces. We all know Stana can say more with her eyes than most actresses can with a couple of pages of dialogue. From that moment on you just know that there is more to their story and they are going to reconnect - it's inevitable.

As they leave Paris on their journey the ease with which Yves and Sofia fall back into the role of lovers or more importantly being in love is in stark contrast to the stilted and awkward phone conversations they have with their respective spouses. These two seem to be each others perfect, each others everything that it's hard to imagine why they broke up in the first place - it's never explained either.

If viewers are expecting what follows to be a `sexcapade' throughout France then they are going to be disappointed. Yes, there is a sex scene but it's not gratuitous or explicit - this is a movie for grown ups after all. The most intimate moments in the movie are when Yves and Sofia are simply in each others personal space, totally comfortable with one another, sharing their feelings and thoughts. If the objective was to have the viewer almost feel like a voyeur then mission accomplished in spades.

I don't want to dissect the movie scene by scene, it is better for the viewer to simply go on the journey with the lovers and let their story unfold before your eyes. You'll laugh, you'll cry but most of all you'll feel.

The haunting score by Kubilay Uner fits each scene perfectly and only serves to heighten the experience.

The choices of songs by artists such as Arcade Fire, Jeff Buckley, John Lennon, A Girl Called Eddy and Serge Gainsbourg to name but a few are inspired. One could be forgiven for thinking that they had been especially written for the movie as they sit so comfortably within it.

All in all `For Lovers Only' is a not just a treat for the heart but also for the soul. You will get a little something different out of it with each viewing. I first saw this movie just over a fortnight ago and it's still rattling around in my head. How many movies can we say that about?

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly magnificent beautiful movie! Must See!, July 6, 2011
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)
(This is from my Itunes review, but did not want to rewrite it or come up with something different... lol)

I came looking for this film because of the beautifully talented Stana Katic from Castle. I was familiar with the Polish Bros. film The Astronaut Farmer, however, I have never seen it. Therefore I did not know what to expect from them. To tell the truth I was very skeptical to watch this film at all, in fear that this would mess up my perception of Beckett (Katic's character in Castle. If you have not seen that show, do yourself a favor Go Watch It!! It's awesome, really no other show like it Ever! The writing staff is full of geniuses, but that is another review entirely & once I stop, well I won't be able to stop on talking about the treasure that is Castle ;) ).

Back to the film review :) :

This movie is truly amazing! It is so beautiful, and such a treat to watch over and over, & trust me, you Will want to watch over and over ;). The interesting thing is that there are only 10 credited cast members, with Stana & Mark acting in 99.9% of the movie(, with the two being the only ones in the shot). This is defiantly a romance, love, beyond love story. But there is also plenty of funny dialogue between the two main characters. It's just such a treat, really it is! I can not wait to be able to see this in HD and am counting down the days till the 14th when I get to! :) Pre order, buy, rent, whatever you want with this film! Just watch it! You will not be sorry!

Just FYI there are some scenes in the film that are not for younger audiences. Defiantly not anything worse than what is out there right now, it is actually pretty "clean" for what it is. But I wouldn't watch with my dad if you know what I mean. Please don't let that scare you from this film, I am telling you it is very clean compared to plenty other movies you can watch at the theater. Just letting people know :)

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Married, But Not To Each Other, July 12, 2011
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)
The French Department of Tourism should buy millions of copies of this film and proceed to give them away to people who click on something like "I am thinking of visiting France." This film strikingly portrays France as the beautiful, romantic place that many yearn to explore, not the cold land of the rude that many want to avoid.

The only significant characters are Yves (Mark Polish) and Sofia (Stana Katic), thirty-somethings who had been lovers in Paris several years before the film begins. But they ended the affair and went their separate ways. Both married. Apparently, they reside permanently in the U.S. He has a daughter. It seems that the fire in their marriages is no longer roaring.

At the film's beginning they meet by chance again in Paris. They soon begin a heated affair which revolves around a whirlwind tour of much of France. It's all presented in a series of stunning landscapes, seascapes, and cityscapes. There is a sheen about the cinematography that suggests the passion of love; everything seems right and profound to lovers. And the romantic fervor is not diminished by a lack of funds; there's enough cash to do things like rent a motorcycle, dine in fine restaurants, and stay in beautiful hotels.

It's all filmed in black and white. Some say that black and white is more dramatic and profound, more "real" than color. Whatever. But it does work here.

I don't want to reveal more about the plot; almost everything above is developed early in the film. Actually, the title of the film says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stana Katic - The greatest actress of our time!, July 9, 2011
Stana Katic (Castle) is the greatest actress of our time. In "For Lovers Only" she more than proves that she can be ranked up there with some of the all-time great actresses. The movie skips around some and at times is hard to keep up with but it is a very good movie. Shot in black and white it shows more emotion in the characters. Stana Katic is amazing in this movie. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taken Back, May 4, 2012
When I heard about this movie, I had to see it.I was totally gobsmacked. It captured my heart from the time Sofia sat in the taxi cab.It had me relive my own encounter in Paris.Same 8 yrs.I loved the freedom the actors allowed themselves to take in filming. A meeting that Yves,Sofia never thought would happen. Meeting on the steps made it hard to breath, my heart skipped beats.On the steps Yves,Sofia knew in that moment this was something that was not finished.Traveling around the country showing us their love for each other,their free spirits ,emotions, tender moments, had us rooting to take what the universe had given them. Have watched this many times amazed every time. Just love the spontaneous freedom. Made it real. The raw filming makes it..Thanks
Je T' Aime is in the air..

5.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts on the film that has stolen my heart CONTAINS SPOILERS, April 27, 2012
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)
I had to take a few days to sort out my feelings about For Lovers Only. I should say, first and foremost: I loved it. It broke my heart in its beauty, its honesty, and in the sheer passion between the characters, the actors, and the storyline.

I am a big fan of Stana Katic and her work. Before having seen any of the footage on Youtube, I knew that I wanted to see this film. When I saw one of the director's cuts on Youtube, the one with most of the car scenes, I was blown away. I was more anxious to see this film that I knew hardly anything about than I was to see many of the films I have grown to love in years passed.

When I actually sat down and watched For Lovers Only, I felt an immediate connection with the characters and their lives. I was interested in Yves and his photography. I wanted to know more about Sophia's interviews and her work as a journalist. The cinematography was artistic but felt genuine, like I was stepping inside of two people's lives, not just watching from the outside. But the real moment, the biggest connection that I had to the movie, came when the two met on the stairs.

Knowing now that Mark Polish wrote that scene years ago, and didn't change it, makes the scene even more powerful. Like so many other people, I've been in that situation before. Seeing a former lover unexpectedly. Experiencing all of the emotions--the hurt, the anger, the passion, the lust, the love--having all of that wash over you again in seconds as you run into that one person that has never left your mind. That scene was the moment I knew I had fallen in love with For Lovers Only. And there was still so much more to see, so much more to witness in the lives of these two lovers.

I do have a tendency to cry during films. I'm not one of those audience members that is stone faced and cold, hardly moving a muscle during very emotional scenes. But when Sophia cried in the car, I cried. I didn't just shed a tear or two. I was sobbing. They were quiet, but the tears came. And I definitely cried more than once.

I think this film and all of its passion affected me more because of some of the personal issues that have happened in my life recently. The thought of seeing someone eight years from now, after having such a deep connection with them, and being caught up in this whirlwind of emotions and lust and passion, hit too closely to my own experiences and possible future. And in a way, that scared me. I don't know if I could handle that kind of passion in my life. But I suppose that is why we have stories like these--to give us a glimpse into a relationship that we will most likely never find ourselves in.

In many ways, I envy these characters. And I envy the actors who portrayed them. It takes a very talented actress to deliver the emotion and intensity I saw in Sophia, but Stana Katic hit every emotion, every facial expression and change in tone. And Mark Polish, (whom, I will admit, I had not heard of until the start of production) brought his own passion and love into his creation. And it amazes me that he was able to write, direct, and star in this film, and do it all to perfection.

But there is another part of me that is glad I am not Sophia or Yves. I don't think I could live my life with such an intense, passionate former lover constantly on my mind. As it stands, I'm having a hard enough time working through some lingering feelings I have. I can't imagine living life knowing that I had this passionate, lustful, intense relationship, and I let it go, only to find it again briefly, but not able to fully commit to that person again.

But this is what films are for. We can escape into the lives of other people, so completely similar yet different from ourselves, and experience the emotions and events that happen in their lives, while keeping our own safe from any harm from the outside world. For an hour and a half, I could pretend that I was Sophia, and I made the decision to take the chances I was given, and spend the time with Yves that I so desperately wanted to spend with him, despite our commitments with other people. I could have never have done that as me, in the real world. But feeling what those characters felt in that span of time is what film watching is all about for me.

For Lovers Only took a piece of my heart as I watched it. It showed me the amazing talents of screenwriting, directing, and acting. It showed me a relationship with passion to last a lifetime. It taught me that it's okay to escape to a fantasy world, with the knowledge that coming back to the real world is inevitable. This movie is fantastic, and I highly recommend it for lovers, dreamers, and hopeless romantics everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film !!, June 1, 2013
amy L. (queens, NY) - See all my reviews
Mark Polish and Stana Katic are astoundingly 'real' together, the cinematography is stunning, and if you hang in there past a relatively slow (but not at all bad) start, i promise it will make you laugh, cry, believe in true love, and all-together break your heart into a million pieces, but in the most beautiful way possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant movie, January 6, 2013
Jedrury "jedrury" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: For Lovers Only (Amazon Instant Video)
A man (photographer) and women (writer), former lovers see each other in Montmartre, walking up those high steps, stop, look, exchange phone numbers, fall for each other once again, and travel through France; to Mont St. Michel, to the Loire, to the castles, to Provence; ending magnificently, with a scene from a hotel balcony high above the Promenade des Anglais in Nice; that expansive beach, the line of the sea, off in the distance, at dusk. All in black and while, light and dark, contrast and shadow, exquisite filming, unmatched camera angles, scenes of heartbreaking brilliance, a script of such uniqueness, obliqueness and inference that you whisper to your lover "that's real, that's really how lovers talk. That's you and me . . . when."

For Lovers Only