Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 28, 2014
As an MBA, I'm a sucker for great stories about business. Alas, many of the write-ups in this book go back several decades. I also found them on the short side, usuall written in an undistinguished style. A good bathroom book, I suppose.
on March 8, 1999
I don't consider the material very interesting to read. They are facts not stories. The material could be written better.
on August 17, 2015
The stories start with the nations money raising head during the revolution war, which was interesting and I had never heard of before. Interesting book well worth reading. The book was in great condition.
on May 23, 2011
The foreword/introduction by Forbes turned me off hard initially by stating that the individuals storied in this book are heroes at the same level as soldiers. I don't care who you are in the business world -- that is false. The only real risks these people took were financial, and making money by taking risk doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a successful businessperson and capitalist.

That ridiculous sentiment aside (in the author's defense, he didn't write it), there is some valuable content here, and while I didn't feel blown away, I didn't feel that I had completely wasted my time, either. The book covers a lot of stories in a short span and provides enough detail that you get a feel for each history without getting lost in trivialities.
on February 9, 2013
This book is interesting and has moderate readability. I bought it in the Vancouver airport for my flight to Japan. On the 9 hour flight I found myself drifting off and had to trudge through a few dry chapters.

The stories inside do make you marvel at the trials and tribulations entrepreneurs and dreamers faced in building their fortunes. From the country's economy collapsing around you (Robert Morris and J.P Morgan) to fierce competition (Henry Ford) to having your first money making idea stolen from right under your nose (Walt Disney) it shows there has never been an "overnight" success in business.

Most of the stories here are those that have changed the way we live or the whole world, Ford, Bill Gates and Cyrus McCormick (cotton reaper) to name a few.

Yes, they are great business stories of great men and one woman (Mary Kay Ash) but the best of all time....I don't know.

This book is good for motivation and you can learn a lot about big companies and how they got where they are today.

Another book that I think is really good for a diverse amount of stories is Conversations With Millionaires. It is not is slick but is a really good read and has the same motivational qualities.

I really wanted to give this book 3.5 stars but Amazon.ca only works in whole numbers.

Danielle Millar, Glenn Simon Inc.
on September 10, 2005
I'm not a business-minded person, but after reading so many reviews here that complained about how _boring_ this book is, I picked it up and read thru one story -- about Ray Kroc and the founding of the McDonald's restaurants.

And what a great read! Such a quirky story, to follow the progress of the first guy to figure out the concepts behind assembly line fast food. Did you ever wonder how and why the food at McDonalds tastes the same everywhere? Or why every facility looks familiar?

Nowadays, factory-assembly line food production is old news to our jaded modern palates. But in the 1950s and earlier, it was innovative. And Ray Kroc was a pioneer in the development of the franchise restaurant. He made his millions scouting real estate locations for franchisees. And then he made their leases dependent upon their adherence to his ideas about what a McDonald's restaurant should be.

This was definitely a great story and an interesting read. I recommend this book.
on September 12, 2010
I loved this book for the simple reason that it about people who had similar backgrounds to mine who went on to accomplish great things.

This is a great historical document that tells about some of the greatest business people, many of whom came from very modest backgrounds.

If you like documentaries or interesting stories you should really like this book. If you are a historian and are already familiar with these events you might not get the same level of enjoyment as i did because of it's lack of in-depth factual information. If you want to learn some great business history in an abridged version this is a great way to do it.
on April 28, 2013
Whatever I can say has been repeated one million times, a vision is the first point to start and when you see how many big men and women have reached their most profound dreams, starting from where they started, then and only then you realize IT is possible. The book includes many such great examples, takes care of details and I very much like it's easy reading. Congratulations to the author, to the heroes and the heroines portrayed.
on December 6, 2009
If you would like to read about those who have succeeded despite failure and set back these inspirational stories are great. They are well written as well. You learn from other people's success and failure and this book is a good source for that.

Daniel R. Murphy
[...]
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2008
This book offers a compressive look into many entertaining and inspiring business stories. I found the writing style acceptable and the content exceptional. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in business stories as you will find it difficult to put down.