5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Survival Reference
I was impressed with the variety of survival subjects covered in this regulation. Written from the perspective of both the downed aircrewman and the USAF search and rescue team member, it goes beyond the Army Survival Manual and it takes a different view than that of the SAS Survival Guide. This book has gained a place in my survival library and I highly recommend it.
Published on February 23, 2003 by Colonel

3.0 out of 5 stars From a wilderness perspective.
This book is one of the nicer copies out there. It actually feels/looks like a text book instead of some photocopy crap. I got this book, because it is one of the books recommended in BushCraft&Backpacking circles. So my review is based on it's effectiveness at doing that.

Published 6 months ago by AvidReader

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Survival Reference, February 23, 2003
Colonel "searchandrescue" (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: U.S. Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training: AF Regulation 64-4 (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference, January 10, 2007
E. Carroll (Ft. Stewart, GA.) - See all my reviews
As a general rule I believe there is usually "something" that can be taken from most books and videos on this subject. It may only be a better demonstration or a twist on an old technique. This text covers many subjects however it sacrifices some depth in doing so (ie. Fire by bow and drill is dilutted down to a few paragraphs). It appears that most other books have been copied from this book. Although not as detailed as I would like, I have not found a better reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars SURVIVAL TRAINING, September 3, 2013
This book was recommended to me from someone who knew survival techniques. This is supposed to be the most comprehensive tool to survival. I haven't had the need to use it as yet, but it will be at my fingertips when I do. I have reviewed several areas and find it quite helpful. There are other areas I would probably never use. I am a woman in her 60's with no husband and don't know and hope I will never have to use it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars re: SURVIVAL - **THE** Definitive work., April 10, 2014
I first became acquainted with this work while serving in the U.S. Army in the late 1960's and early '70's. It was used as a major textbook in training a small group of selected specialists for a rather different mission set in some areas under the responsibility of the U.S. Far East Command. Speaking for myself - a "kid" from suburban Kansas City who enlisted in a select branch of the U.S. Army (to avoid the Draft) - It got me there. It got me back. I can't say that for the rest of my training group. When we were re-assembled some several months later for addtional training... the classroom was NOT crowded. Yeah: Read it. Study it. APPLY it. BUT - you STILL must THINK and INSTINCT - a lesson found in no manual save this one. This new, updated edition still rings as true as my old "textbook" - even with some field experience behind me now. I AM a biased "fan" of the book. That's about all I can say.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be in everyone's library., April 2, 2014
Awesome manual! Recommend it to everyone. There is a lot of useful information to be used. But it isn't a field manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars From a wilderness perspective., February 24, 2014

The first 2 sections are summed up as such...(S.T.O.P.A.) Stop, Think, Observe, Plan, Act..... Sounds nice, but the info was so broad as to be considered useless. People who have no experience won't understand it, and people who do won't need it. It's 52 pages of this, so disappointment was high. Could have been 5 pages or less. Not only that, but this same set of guidelines is repeated at length throughout every section, again, and again, and again......... The book wastes well over 100 pages saying the same things in every section.

This book is so long, I wrote another review, but deleted it, because it was over two pages long. Here's the gist of the rest of the book................. Medicine could be skipped as there just isn't enough depth to help with wilderness survival.........Weather and Geography read twice, great section..........Plants and Animals skipped(too few photos)..........Outdoors section skipped, get a real bush crafting book....... ......Food&Water skimmed, some good advice........... ....Navigation skipped(Double skipped) it was poorly organized, wasn't bad information, just more complicated than it had to be....... ..... Land Travel 17 pages, should have been 5.......... …. Rough land travel(mountain climbing) was great, I really liked it...... …... Signaling and recovery was useful ..... …... Escape and Evasion seemed a waste.... …... Nuclear/Chemical attack sections were somewhat helpful, but pretty sure updated information is much needed.

---Here are some highlights: Pro's and Con's---
Con: Break your compass to get the lens out and use as a magnifying glass to start a fire(OMG don't ever do this).
Pro: Use this plant to poison fish in a pond or stream, but is still human safe.(I loved that section).
Con: Use your watch to tell what North and south is.(experts around the world tell you this errors so much, just don't do it)
Pro: Straight lines are easier to spot from planes searching for you.

Conclusion:
I would definitely read this book before picking up something like Wild Wood Wisdom(1945) or any of the other old BushCraft books. This book was written with a serious mindset, and was as researched as well as it could be for the time it was written(1985). Obviously there are many wasted pages here, but I do feel the full spectrum was covered, and with far more depth than many other outdoor books I have read.(Note: I haven't read the SAS Manual yet, on it's way).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wealth of Knowledge, March 30, 2013
Anyone considering a resource for educating themselves in matters of survival should purchase this book. Everything you will need to know is inside. No home should be without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 8, 2014
awesome trsnsaction - arrived on time and great product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars United States Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training, November 6, 2003
By A Customer
This is a grate book for outdoors people! It has all the Need To Know information you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars USAF Search & Rescue Survival Training AF regulation 64-4, December 21, 2009
G. A. Quinn "The Guardian" (Stafford Springs, CT USA) - See all my reviews
Condition of book was, in my opinion, better than advertised. Book arrived on time and was preceeded by an e-mail from the seller. I would have no problem ordering from this seller again.

U.S. Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training: AF Regulation 64-4