4.0 out of 5 stars a ripping yarn

Published on August 1, 2012 by James M. Nelson

4.0 out of 5 stars a ripping yarn, August 23, 2012
robert Brown (Sydney, New South Wales, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on my kindle after my mate recommended it, knowing how much of a fussy reader I can be and critical at that. Thank you my good friend, what a great recommendation it was. The story simply blew me away and left me hooked long after. I loved the characters and found them to be very convincing and likeable, each an individual in their own right, and I found the dialogue between them simple but sharp. I'm not one who can stay with a book if there are great big chunks of text, especially when they are irrelevant to the plot, but with Forecast I found that the author got to the point quickly and did not waste time with redundant sentences. If it's one thing I hate it's over-explanations. For me it goes down as a very memorable read!

1.0 out of 5 stars A cornucopia of errors. No, not terrors,, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
The premise of this book, that North Korea somehow has managed to squirrel away hundreds of amazingly effective nuclear armed intercontinental ballistic missiles unobserved and then manages to unleash them all to devastating effect on the unsuspecting world, is only the first hurdle in your suspension of disbelief that you will have to overcome to get through this novel. There are plenty more:

Like balloonists managing to survive a descent from 100,000 feet plus, through the swirling clouds of a nuclear holocaust (without a trace of radiation poisoning, mind you), parachute from the balloon into a Stygian darkness caused by said holocaust, and manage to all land safely and without a scratch just a few miles from where they took off. The sole casualty was someone who stepped on some unspecified sharp object after he landed.

Or the mysterious American who wangles her way into the British crew with the help of NASA and who appears to be in the beginning stages of pregnancy, but whose erstwhile pregnancy symptoms (and, presumably, fetus) disappear without trace or mention.

Or two people surviving on 150 cans of food for 18 months.

Or an apparently endless supply of oxygen canisters which allow our heroes to traipse about the English countryside at will.

Or the uncanny resistance to radiation sickness our heroes all seem to possess.

Perhaps the final straw for me, however, was the climactic fight scene between the expedition leader (and putative hero) and the evil cousin raper. Having interrupted said rapist in mid act, a fight commences. While the villain is knocking the snot out of our hero and apparently on the verge of winning, the two women do nothing. The victim crawls into a corner and lapses into a state of tearful catatonia and the American shouts at the two to stop fighting. Yeah, thanks for the help ladies. What do you think will happen to you if the bad guy wins?

That's only the last in a string of silly depictions of female behavior. These women (supposedly capable, modern, professional scientists) behave like June Cleavers of the Apocalypse-- tending to the housecleaning, occasional handwringing, and not much else-- while the men venture forth, hunting and gathering and generally stumbling about, remarkably unaffected in the supposedly radiation poisoned landscape. The one time a female character did venture out, she manages to get captured by local cannibals (who are also completely unaffected by radiation despite a complete lack of protective gear) and has to be rescued by-- of course-- a man.

In the end, it was just all too much to bear and I stopped caring who would survive and who would perish. I was gulled by the four and five star reviews for this bit of foolishness. Don't you be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Painful start... Somewhat engaging middle... Eh ending, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
The beginning of the book is MIGHTY painful and slow. Details on ballooning, and its associated technology, are far too deep and caused me to almost put the book down multiple times. Being stubborn, I held on for over 25% of the book until the actual book starts to roll. Seems like that is a long introduction. If that isn't bad enough, the writer tells a lot of the story in flashbacks. Very annoying as, in the telling, it disrupts the flow of the story. None of the details of the characters' histories were enough to make you love any one of them or feel connected. There were definitely a few times when you felt anger, and even a true resentment for what was going on. I was happy to finally feel something! By the end, I hung on just to find out what happened. A lot of the story is predictable. Some of it is ridiculous or unrealistic in nature. **SPOILER ALERT** In the end, I was sorry that I did not feel any huge connection to the characters, even the ones that lived.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forecast, May 31, 2012
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
Forecast was an entertaining read that for the most kept me interested for the whole novel. The ballooning start to the story followed by a nuclear holocaust was novel in itself. How the survivors lived once they returned to earth was a little drawn out but overall story did keep my attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well planned and written, November 12, 2012
Amazon Customer (Texas Gulf Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
Worth reading. Could be made longer and into an epic similar to The Last Ship. Characters developed well. No
long, drawn out empty descriptive pages upon pages that some new authors resort to in order to fill more space while completely boring the bejesus out of the reader. Usually, that makes me skip out of the book and possibly miss out on some fairly good stories, but I guess I bore quickly as my reading time is limited and I read at a fast pace. This was a good one. I expect to see more from this story teller.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gosh, July 23, 2012
Tony (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
The book would have been twice as good if it were half as long. It also needs good editing, and the author should put more effort into learning sentence structure and subordinate clauses. Many words are used incorrectly, and there are the most ludicrous comments on characters' actions or words. The balloon flight could have been written as well by a twelve-year old, and is about as convincing scientifically as "From the Earth to the Moon", with far less excuse. I actually finished the novel because of a sort of self-punishing incredulity that someone could write so badly, though the author does have a fairly good visual imagination, wasted by his lack of verbal skills. The ridiculous scenario that North Korea has both the number of nuclear weapons and the means to deploy them so effectively as to destroy the whole world is a minor fault by comparison. Fascinatingly bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars miss, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
Poorly written. Cliched characters. Preposterous premises. Stilted dialogue. Lack of convincing detail. Overabundance of pointless detail. There are many better apocalyptic novels around.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute cracker, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Forecast (Paperback)
I have read 4 books on my kindle in 2012, and all of them were great, but Forecast that little bit better than the others. The vivid pictures I had in my head of the space balloon flight, the view above Earth as it is devastated by ICBMs, the obliterated landscape and the White Room, where our survivors spend the majority of the book hiding and "riding out the storm" had more of a movie outlook. I loved it, loved it, loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting page turner, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Forecast (Paperback)
I read this book on a long haul flight and couldn't put it down! An excellent storyline with unexpected twists, likeable characters and energetic writing combine to make this one of my favourite books I've read this year. It has similar threads to 'The Road' which I had previously enjoyed but loved that it was set in the UK. Looking forward to the next book from this emerging author as think he will be a star of the future!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous, August 7, 2012
This review is from: Forecast (Kindle Edition)
Oh my... where to start. Granted this is a book of fiction, but come on! North Korea having enough unkown nuclear weapons and the ability to launch them all at the same time to destroy the entire world? Zombies are easier to believe in. Why didn't the author use China? It would have been a little more believable.

And the author's character developement? I finished this book and could care less at the end whether any of the characters survived. The book's "hero" has an autistic son who is killed by one of the nuclear blasts and his only reaction to his son's death is "Oh, Martin" and then proceeds to act as though the child never existed.

There are so many flash back sequences that they become confusing and unnecessary. I found myself skipping over the flash backs only to get back to the main story line and wanting to skip over that also. I was never so happy to be at the end of a book.

Forecast