5.0 out of 5 stars Foreclosed was a fun read!
Published on November 4, 2010 by Campbell

1.0 out of 5 stars Spell Check Is Not an Editor.
Published on September 1, 2012 by RuthAlice

5.0 out of 5 stars Foreclosed was a fun read!, November 4, 2010
Campbell (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended by several friends so I checked it out and am glad I did so. The plot revolves around Mitzy Neuhaus, Portland's best known realtor, discovering that a Victorian dream house is going into foreclosure. Mitzy knows she is the best realtor to bring the right clientele to this house. She also realizes that a sale like this will really help make a name for herself in the upper crust of Portland society. The mystery revolves around who owns the house and the disappearance of valuable items within the house. Of course, Mitzy being industrious as she is, takes matters into her own hands to hunt down this individual and information. It was a great mystery with interesting characters that I thoroughly enjoyed! I loved all the details that went into describing places and characters so I felt invested in the story. I read the story quickly and had a hard time putting it down at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foreclosed--- a clean Mystery, March 24, 2010
This is an exciting book. If you are looking for a Clean mystery... This is it. I enjoyed it so much. There are a lot of mysteries out there that contain lots of bad words and such. I was thrilled about this book. I was so enthralled by Mitzy that I was very concerned about what happened to her. Mitzy is a Real Estate Agent who finds an old Victorian house that is being foreclosed by the bank. She wants to find the people who are destroying this houses' worth... A very great adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun mystery set in the current real estate mess, April 17, 2010
Amazon Customer (Vancouver, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book. I loved all the references to Portland. Felt like I was driving around the town. The mystery kept me guessing and I loved the characters. It was a fun read and I had a hard time putting it down at night.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spell Check Is Not an Editor., September 1, 2012
I am so glad I picked this book up during a promotion so that I didn't spend a lot of money on it. I would have quit reading it after the second paragraph when the heroine was thinking because the real estate situation needed thought or the third paragraph where she walked at a contemplative pace and contemplated. Such clumsy redundancies gave me pause, but I decided to persevere because it is set in Portland. I like supporting local authors and love reading and identifying places as I read.

Foreclosed quickly tipped from merely being a poorly written book to being "so bad it's good." You know the sort of book I mean, the ones that fill you with schadenfreude and make you guffaw when there are moments of bizarre self-revelation. There is a unique pleasure in reading a memorably bad book. Not all bad books are enjoyable, but books that combine bad writing with a certain sort of inane shallowness can be hysterically funny.

To take one example, our intrepid heroine and her brother both give voice to the author's disdain for the Listening Project - a Portland effort to expand the voices that get heard by people in government beyond the usual cliques of donors and developers. So Mitzy gets to voice her contempt and ridicule for the idea that politicians would listen to the public at any time other than Election Day. Her brother even gets to make fun of the idea of listening to marginalized citizens - instead of worthy conservative lawyers like him. In fact, he has the brilliant idea of joining the "foundation" (as the author clumsily tries to fictionalize the project) in order to subvert the influence of the poor and marginalized others who are undeserving of full participation in civic life, a realm the author clearly believes only belongs to those of wealth and property. I am surprised she did not have her brother drafting an initiative to reinstate a poll tax.

Another side-splitting trope in this simple mystery is that liberals are not only rude, inexplicably unkind, but also "rat-faced" and ugly. The author uses conservative less as a description of a political philosophy and more as a synonym for good and good-looking. I know Rush Limbaugh tries to imply that liberal = evil and conservative = good, but most Americans realize that is merely propaganda and don't internalize that sort of shallow reasoning. And only a very select few ascribe it to appearance.

There are so many errors in the book that if I tried to list them, I would exhaust myself. Many are the result of using Spell Check as an editor instead of using a brain. Examples include using peak for peek and loosing for losing. Frankly, the latter is one of my pet peeves. It irritated me more than the errors of fact such as using racist for xenophobic, the wildly absurd post-burglary CSI operation, or the errors in logic that kept our plucky realtor acting like a silly ditz rather than the real estate "mogul" that she claims to be. Actually, having the character think of herself as a real estate "mogul" cracked me up and that was in the first paragraph. If she's a mogul, it's only on the bunny slope.

This is not the worst book I have ever read. We were not treated to the spectacle of a widower saying two minutes after his much-loved wife was murdered, "oh well, she had cancer." as in Inside Passage to Alaska or have the hero hiding from the "cannons of the church in their scarlet robes" in the hotel lobby as in another, the title of which escapes me at the moment. It's only the third worst book I have ever read, but like those other two, it was a book that was delightfully bad and I am sure such books are a great service. They must encourage so many would-be writers who can read them and know that if this can get published, there's hope for everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Foreclosed - as the book should have been, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (Kindle Edition)
When I search for a book, especially for Kindle, I usually read the description of the book and then check out the reviews. If the good reviews outweigh the bad, I will try the book. The one review that I really wish I had paid attention to was the one written by RuthAlice. Boy, did she hit the nail on the head. "Spell check is not an editor." The book had a so-so story line, one that could be tolerated for mild entertainment(?)as it is. But, the drawback to the book was that you had to be your own editor to make the story make sense. Too many words put in where it did not make sense, or words left out so that the sense of the meaning was lost. Wrong spelling of words like using the wrong usage of to, too, or two as an example. I am left wondering if those that gave a five star review read the same book I did. I know the author has other books out and I am only hoping that she had an editor go over the book before she published them. I know for myself I will not be getting the other books. If I wanted to be an editor, I would apply for that job somewhere. I'd rather get paid for editing a book than to edit a book as I read it for my own enjoyment. This is definitely not a book that I would recommend to anyone that has a "thing" about proper spelling and syntax. Thank goodness this was one that I got for free as it would have been a waste of money.

By the way... is Amazon offering a position to edit books? :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bad..., December 10, 2010
This review is from: Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (Kindle Edition)
Ms. Hilton included some very funny bits in the story and they made me want to finish the book. Unfortunately, even though this book had a great premise, the author spent too much time dragging in the religious angle and not enough developing the characters or an interesting ending to the story. The book seemed to just stop as though the author had run out of ideas and couldn't think of a way to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, light read, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (Kindle Edition)
The first thing you should know is, I'm a 60+ year old male who does not make a practice of reading cozy mysteries. That said, I like this book. I am involved in and with writing, and now and then I read books outside my usual choices. It's good to see what is liked by others. This time, I decided to read something that is almost always popular with many of the ladies but rarely with men. This book was selected because it was the first by Traci Hilton, and she came well recommended. Now, on to the review.

What I liked most about the book: The writing style is light and breezy. It wasn't hard to sit down and enjoy the story. Pages could go by quickly and I never got bored, waiting for something to happen. It is true that the book is not action-packed with car chases and gunfights and what-not, but the story moves along nicely. The characters were pretty well described, especially the protagonist couple, Mitzi and Alonzo. Envisioning them was easy, aa was understanding their actions within the plot. Other characters were a little less developed, but none were shown only as a pencil drawing. Also, some real information is scattered in along the storyline, things like comments on the economy, real estate considerations, etc., that add to the story. It's not just a entertaining read, it's also useful in ways.

What I thought might have been better: This is hard to say, because, as I said up front, I'm not a regular reader of this genre, so I don't know what is common and what is not. That said, I would have liked a little more of the story. More drama, perhaps, in a longer storyline, and a bit more tension. There was one thing I thought should have been made clear up front: There is an element of religion in the plot, but it is not mentioned in the product description. The use of it was pretty well worked in, and was not offensive in any way. I just think it would be better to let readers know what is coming. Finally, though the copy I read had been re-edited and corrections made, there are still a few more typos than I expect. Not many, but a few.

Overall, I was pleased by what I read. While I, as an older male, may or may not continue reading the series, I think most lovers of cozy mysteries will. I recommend this book and author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, November 11, 2010
Mindy's Mom (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (Kindle Edition)
Okay, this is not a deep mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat. But it is entertaining and the characters are likeable. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I still would recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (Kindle Edition)
This book was pitiful. There were errors in grammar, it was slow, then took giant leaps with no payoff. This author should be ashamed & should not be included in Christian fiction with characters who get drunk (didn't add to or make sense in the plot) & curse. I read Christian fiction to avoid filth. I will avoid this author from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gets One Star Because Zero is Not an Option, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (Kindle Edition)
Very awkward prose, misused words, grammatical errors, and an incoherent, illogical plot are just some of the problems with Foreclosed.

At first, I read on because I always try to give a book a chance to get better, but soon it became apparent that I would have to finish this book to see how bad it could get. In that regard, it did not disappoint.

Mitzy may be a perfect name for the ditzy protagonist, but calling the owner of a one-agent real estate firm Neuhaus (new house) is really over the top. In addition, the author calls Mitzy a real estate "mogul" and goes out of her way to emphasize that education is not necessary for success. While this may be true in some cases, Hilton is rather mean about it, characterizing Mitzy's sister-in-law as having nothing to show for her Ph.D. but a lot of student debt.

Following are a few "gems" pulled from the pages of Foreclosed. My comments appear in parentheses.

"'A bored staff is a bad staff.' She smiled. Clever. She would write that one down."
(And that is just about how clever this book is.)

"It took a regular appointment with her stylist to keep her hair the right blonde and the right latitude."
(Latitude? Perhaps a GPS would help.)

"It was one of her personal goals to make Ben less of a pessimist."
(Perhaps her personal goals should be, um, personal?)

"Bruce was negotiating his donut into his coffee and offered a grunt."
(Never negotiate with a donut.)

"Her voice was warm with hurt and disappointment."
(Warm?)

"She chewed on the idea of investments."
"...she chewed on the idea."
"...he chewed on ways to get his name 'out there' so to speak"
(Too much chewing going on to swallow!)

"Bruce showed up into the silence."
(Does he have his donut with him? Perhaps he could grunt.)

"Their particular office was quite small; the reception area, just a couple of square feet."
(I'll say it's small. A couple of square feet would be one foot by two feet, or 18 inches on each side. Where is this real estate office, in Lilliput?)

"And his head hurt like a four letter word."
(The character's effort not to swear, one appearance in church by two characters, and a few odd comments about God are supposed to make this book a "Christian cozy." It's not too convincing.)

After reading Foreclosed, my head now hurts like a four-letter word.

Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery