4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but still needs some work
Published on August 29, 2009 by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

1.0 out of 5 stars Online Archives Missing
I would love to get this for my Kindle, but you do not get access to the online archives. Which as a masters student is ideal (but so is the portability of the Kindle). What to do?

Published on May 6, 2010 by Eric V

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but still needs some work, August 29, 2009
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
Foreign Affairs is an excellent journal on all aspects of foreign policy, written primarily from the perspective of those who are intimately involved in creating and promoting that policy. The list of authors for any given issue often reads like a who-is-who of the top echelons of US diplomacy - Henry Kissinger, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Colin Powell, Madeleine Albright, and Condoleezza Rice are just some of the names that have offered their views and opinions on the pages of this journal over the years. As can be seen from these names, Foreign Affairs is a truly non-partisan journal and a wide variety of points of view are regularly presented. The main criterion of publication is that the topics are contemporaneous and relevant. Recently, however, there has been a tendency to include topics that are traditionally not considered to be a part of mainstream diplomatic and foreign policy concerns, but these topics usually account for just a fraction of the whole journal. The quality of writing and analysis is generally very high, but the articles are not technical and are geared towards informed non-experts. Sometimes these articles are indeed just a distillation of the views and opinions that could have been gathered from the pages of the press in general, but even in those cases it is useful to get a unique point of view of an actual bona fide protagonist of the great game of diplomacy. In those instances, just like in diplomatic writing in general, it is important to read between the lines.

A few notes on Kindle edition. Since Foreign Affairs has a print format that closely resembles a paperback novel, it was to be expected that it would translate well into Kindle format. Indeed, from my experience thus far this has been the case. However, there are a few important caveats. The Kindle edition does not offer an easily browsable table of content. Instead, one jumps from one article to another with the help of Kindle's "joystick." Unlike Kindle books, this journal does not have the locations so it is not easy to see how far into any given article have you read. It also lacks bookmarking, although you can still write notes and make highlights. Also, if you have an iPhone or an iPod touch Kindle software, you will not be able to download it to those devices.

The price for the Kindle Edition is reasonable. One should be aware that the $1.99 is the price of monthly subscription, and not a price per issue. This is important because Foreign Affairs is a bimonthly journal so the total price per issue is $4, which translates to about $24 per year. If you shop around you can save a few dollars on the annual subscription price, but you may decide that having Foreign Affairs delivered to you wirelessly wherever you are is a nice feature and worth a few extra bucks. Unfortunately, the Kindle subscription does not include the access to the Foreign Affairs online archives, so if you are interested in doing some long-term research you will probably be better off with the print subscription for now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Online Archives Missing, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)

I have contacted customer service at both Amazon and FA magazine and both responded quickly with the fact that you do not get archive access with the Kindle (yet we pay $24 per year) which is $6 more than the student subscription, which I would gladly pay for the convenience and portability. But without archive access needless to say that I will not be going with the Kindle subscription. I like the Kindle and I like FA magazine, but this product does not meet expectations.

If you are really interested in this capability contact FA magazine and Amazon, maybe if enough people showed interest they would adjust. Please note I am not giving FA magazine a one star, just the Kindle version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money for the Kindle subscription, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
Foreign Affairs is a good and important journal, we all know that. My review here is of the Kindle format--the product sold on this page.

The Kindle format itself is very nice. I purchased Foreign Affairs for the Kindle because of the convenience and quality of the format, even though I can access the content through other sources to which my workplace subscribes.

However, I ended up cancelling due to two extremely annoying issues with this subscription:
1. Issues are not available on the Kindle until well after they actually come out. Today, December 28, the Jan/Feb edition has been out for two weeks and is available in many other sources (EBSCO, ProQuest, Factiva), and is already referenced in articles all over the place. But it is not yet on the Kindle.
2. Despite costing only $8 less than the digital subscription on the Foreign Affairs website, which provides full access to archives, the Kindle subscription offers no option to upgrade and get access to archives.

Given that I can access the content of Foreign Affairs through other sources, the only reason for me to pay for this subscription is to get the Kindle format. However, the late delivery and inability to access archives in Kindle (or even PDF) format greatly reduces the value of the subscription.

Overall, it is a good product but managed poorly; for me, the managemenent issues outweight the good product, so I give it two stars. If you want to read only new editions in Kindle format and don't care when they make their way to your Kindle, go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient for Kindle, May 25, 2010
yh132 (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
Foreign Affairs is an influential magazine on national security and I enjoy my subscription. Although the inconvenience of accumulating stacks of paper issues deterred me from subscribing, I was delighted to find it available on Kindle. I simply save every issue now and can access them without more clutter at home.

The reason I give this 4 stars though instead of 5 is because of the publisher's support for Kindle users. For one thing, they give print subscribers access to content on their website but not Kindle subscribers. I have been trying to argue with them on this point but I don't get the sense they value Kindle subscribers as highly. Also, right before the Kindle edition came out, I e-mailed customer service and asked if they could publish in Kindle, and they said they had no plans to do so. (Meaning customer service was completely out of the loop.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Kindle, June 18, 2009
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
I subscribed to Foreign Affairs back in the 70s and really enjoyed it-the content was great. Even though I stopped my subscription, I still would buy an occasional issue. Given that its emphasis is on the written word and it contains no pictures of Paris Hilton, it was frequently hard to find on the magazine racks.

I was thrilled to see this offered as a Kindle subscription. What a perfect match! I have subscribed and am pleased to see that FA is as great as I remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic in-depth coverage of the geopolitical landscape, June 19, 2009
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
Foreign Affairs is a bi-monthly publication of the Council on Foreign Relations and represents one of the most influential journals of international relations and diplomacy in print today.

Each print issue is nearly 200 pages long and is packed with insightful articles on all of the most important issues affecting the world today. Some of the most significant foreign policies of the United States have been articulated within its pages, written by the most influential political figures of the day. Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker, III, to name a few, have all been published in this journal.

It is an excellent choice for publication on the Kindle both because of the calibre of the content and the nature of the material presented -- this is not a magazine with pretty, glossy pictures in it.

Finally, at a price of only 1.99 a month, it simply cannot be beat. Order today, and enjoy a whole new level of understanding of the world around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Author Biography - Corrected, February 26, 2010
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
I have been a subscriber to Foreign Affairs (printed edition) since 1984. This is a very informative magazine with content submitted by very knowledgeable contributors. I highly recommend the magazine.

But, as Gregory Gilderman noted in his review, the articles in the Kindle version did not contain a biography of the authors of the articles. I agreed with Gregory, the Kindle version was lacking in comparison to the print version without the author bio information. So, I contacted Amazon Customer Support informing them of this problem and requested that they correct the omission.

They have informed me that they contacted Foreign Affairs and the Author Biography information will be included with the next issue (May-June, 2010) of Foreign Affairs.

Three cheers for the Amazon customer support section. The addition of this important information will now make the Kindle version every bit as informative as the print version.

So, to all of you who also missed this important author biography information, enjoy the next issue.

Great job by the Amazon customer support section. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition As Good As Print Edition, August 17, 2009
Amazon Customer (Thomaston, Connecticut USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
I've been reading Foreign Affairs for a while now. I got a Kindle not that long ago, and decided to try the Kindle version. It contained every article, essay, letter to the editor, etc. that the print edition had. The organization and layout is well done. And, as a nice added bonus, it's about half the price of subscribing to the print edition, and it has no ads! I'm very happy with the Kindle edition of Foreign Affairs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better to get the digital subscription through the FA site, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
Seems better to get the FA subscription on the site. Get the access to the full archive, download the pdf's and convert them in Calibre if you want to read them on Kindle or iBook formats.

1.0 out of 5 stars No archive access, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Foreign Affairs (Kindle Edition)
I just cancelled my subscription because of the lack of archive access. I enjoy the magazine itself, but the lack of the archive access is a deal killer for me.

Foreign Affairs