5.0 out of 5 stars forever changes, December 22, 2012
Forever Changes is still one of my favorite albums, and it amazes me now how I keep going back to it, and how much I respect this highly original work of art. I believe that it is one of the best folk-rock albums of our era, and personally like it better than most albums of the past forty years. Like everyone says it fit the times perfectly: the summer of love, Viet-nam, psychedelics, long hair, blues and rock and all the rest. We forget how new all this was, how radical and different. Just a few years back people were listening to insipid pop music-- that is the white people were. Does anyone remember Bobby Rydel and Paul Anka? And like everyone else who adores the album it is a startling and dynamic mix of music and poetry. Mr Lee and his partner Bryan McLean wrote lyrics that were ahead of almost everyone else: enigmatic, lovely, revolutionary and with some vivid imagery that perfectly fit the passion, angst and turmoil of the times. Also amazing is how well this album has held up: it is still fresh and new! Most albums of the time are dated, sometimes embarrassingly so. Frankly I do not know how they accomplished this album at such a young age, Arthur Lee in his early twenties. I read the book about Love, and examined almost everything that has been written about them, and tried to understand what went into making this remarkable work of music. I have come to the opinion, right or wrong, that it was a surprising combination of people who were just right for the album and the time. Of course there was Arthur Lee who wrote most of the songs, his inspiration, poetic genius and musical sense, also the producer who I believe added the strings--which many people of the time scoffed at; they are beautiful and fit the album perfectly; the other members of the band who with the combined energy, and led by the fiery Lee, exceeded their talents: including the lead guitar player, Johnny Echols, Brian McLean who added a lyric gentler influence to the sound, and the others. What a joy it is, to listen to it. I remember the day I first heard it. I was a naive white middle class kid on the verge of great changes: about to plunge into the new world of the sixties. My friend Jack, who was in a fancy prep school, somehow heard of it. We were Easterners, and Love rarely played in the East. He played it for me in his room and I was enchanted. My taste in music, at the time, was pretty basic, though I loved the Stones and the Beatles, but this album Forever Changes touched something deep in my soul which has stayed me since. The band then broke up and Arthur Lee went into a long decline and never produced anything remotely as good. But he survived a prison term and came back to a glorious revival, for a few years before he died of cancer. He did it, he and his band mates: they created a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly unique album released during the Summer of Love era..., March 29, 2014
picho72 "sebastian" (Hallandale Beach FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Changes - Expanded Version (Audio CD)
A darker take or reflection of the times than what was being made in San Francisco...much like their counterparts the Doors another LA band they represented the dark underbelly of sunny California. The songs have a real east LA flavor due to the acoustic guitars & mariachi horns and the lyrics are cryptic and surreal. Like Jim Morrison, Arthur Lee had a strong death fixation when creating this music!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, March 16, 2014
Great music for listening to in the car. Good melodies and tunes that are more memrable than most of todays FM radio music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Rock-Psychedelic Album of All Time, February 22, 2014
This review is from: Forever Changes - Expanded Version (Audio CD)
There was no other collection of songs that captures the essence of melancholy more perfectly than Forever Changes. This is not a happy hippie album, but an elegy of loss, alienation and death that is profound, strange, unsparing, hypnotic and unsentimental. It mesmerizes with its head-long plunge into the swirling blue abyss.

Consider these lyrics from You Set the Scene:

“This is the time in life that I am living, and I’ll face each day with a smile, for the time that I’ve been given is such a little while, and the things that I must do consist of more than style. There are places that I am going. This is the only thing that I am sure of, and that’s all that lives is gonna die. And there will always some people here to wonder why, and for every happy hello there will be goodbye. There’ll be time for you to put yourself on.”

The Doors would not have existed without the influence of Love and Arthur Lee and this brilliant album. Nor would Frank Black and the Pixies. Arthur Lee was the first artist who dared to be weird, to play with his lyrics, to add layers of complexity, to change melodies in the middle of songs, to continuously bombard his audience with the unexpected. It wasn't exactly commercial stuff, but it has endured.

I was fortunate--blessed actually--to see one of Arthur Lee's last performances with Love. You could tell that he was beaten down by life, but his spirit was indomitable.

"I don't know if I am living or if I'm supposed to be. Sometimes my life is so eerie, and if you think I'm happy..."

No one said it better or more universally, not even Morrisey.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums from the 60's, August 4, 2014
This review is from: Forever Changes - Expanded Version (Audio CD)
One of the best albums from the 60's. Sort of obscure band- I didn't know about them until a few years ago. I'd rate this up there with Sargent Pepper's.

Great fan video here: http://youtu.be/_ZZhAoFokJw

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent classic tunes, May 4, 2013
Loved the original LP. Found a few of the 'extra' tracks annoying. In hindsight would not have bought those. Original play list was MUCH better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great listen!, October 21, 2012
This does not have all the hits but what it does have is a great introduction to Arthur Lee and Love. Some great music in this package that I missed when the album came out. Highly advised!

Forever Changes - Expanded Version
Forever Changes - Expanded Version by Love (Audio CD - 2008)