Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on January 27, 2009
I have a blog on Mountain View Cemetery and Doug Keister's other two books, "Going out in Style" and "Stories in Stone" are my bibles. There is an enormous amount of well-researched, useful information packed into these little books. "Forever Dixie" isn't a battle cry for the Confederacy, but a call for us to remember and to preserve the beautiful resting places in America's Deep South. As always, the photography is beautiful. Add this book to his other classics on the topic of cemeteries.
on August 22, 2009
A good, but not perfect, book for Southern Taphophiles. A great deal of it is straight out of the "Field Guide", but using pictures from southern cemeteries instead. Half the book is dedicated to selected cemeteries in the south, and interesting monuments in those cemeteries. I was a little disappointed there wasn't some discussion about particular symbolism predominantly used in the south or things special to this part of the country. I also had wished that maybe there had been a list of other good cemeteries to visit in each state, rather than the one or two (or none) included. But still a very useful book, and has got me interested in seeing cemeteries in other states.
on July 17, 2009
This is a beautiful little book, rich in detail, about cemeteries in the South, tending to focus on the larger ones. It gives artistic and biographical information (of the graves'inhabitants) throughout, and is chock full of great photographs. It has brief sections peppered through that tell you about the symbolism of tombstone engravings, etc. - all of which is fascinating. The only reason I gave it four stars was that there were no cemeteries from Mississippi, which is rich in cemetery history, art, and lore. A great book though!
Not unexpectedly, Douglas Keister has managed to blend his talent for photography and the visual with a solid narrative including biographical information about the 'permanent residents' of the cemeteries he has chosen for inclusion in this book. The end result is a field guide which I think accurately picks up on the charm and flavor of the southern graveyard.
While I wish he had included more cemeteries and had covered a larger geographical area, that is probably my only criticism of this book and a minor one at that.
Since I spend a lot of time in cemeteries and have been spending a lot of time in the southern US, I can attest that he has managed to convey the charm and uniqueness of the burial grounds of the south. Two of my favorites were included: Bonaventure in Savannah GA and Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond VA. I could go on extensively re: how interesting and historically significant both are as each could easily constitute a full day's visit.
While this book is undoubtedly useful as a guide, it is also just a good read even if you chose not to visit even one cemetery listed. I recommend this to anyone interested in cemetery culture, history, or the southern US.
on August 1, 2011
I am very interested in Southern history and also old cemeteries. This was a very interesting book and I went thru it pretty fast. It had a lot of photos and told a little about the people who built the structures and were buried there. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in historical cemeteries.
on September 26, 2013
I have really enjoyed reading about the history of, decorations and traditions involved with Southern cemeteries. This is a great book to carry with you when you visit to help interpret the stories behind the tombs!
on November 5, 2011
I couldn't put this book down, such a fascinating and interesting insight into a forgotten past. So much to learn about the graves and lives of our esteemed Southern forebearers.
on May 19, 2013
A study in the history and lore of the South by way of Cemeteries. Keister is very definitely a man who knows and loves his cemeteries!
on December 29, 2012
This book was a Christmas gift for my daughter and her husband. They visit cemeteries here and want to see others not too far away.
on March 11, 2014
This is an excellent field guide to Southern cemeteries and the monuments you are probably going to want to see..