Shop Now May4th Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on July 7, 2011
As a retired jet fighter pilot, I think this book could have used a fact checker and a good proof reader. The author was wrong about too many things, including aircraft carrier landings, dive bombing, getting shot down and the Navy pushing an aircraft over the side so that he could land. He wrote "Once I recovered from the anxiety of the first landing [on the carrier], I completed eight or ten more that day." Any pilot who has ever made a carrier landing, including me, will tell you that anxiety is routine on every landing, especially the night landings. He wrote "...I dropped at least a hundred bombs from the F-86 over the Edwards Air Force Base bombing range. Using the new sighting system, I put most of them squarely in the center of the target." Any pilot who has dropped bombs from a diving jet would be extremely happy with 50% of them "squarely in the center of the target." And it would probably be a World Record. During WWII, the Navy pushed many combat-damaged aircraft over the side of the carrier in order to clear the deck for landing the other planes, but I know that they didn't push one over in peacetime in the Gulf of Mexico. I also have trouble with his repetitious boasting that he was never bested in a friendly dogfight by anyone, yet he was shot down on the first mission he encountered enemy fighters. Maybe it's true but hard to believe. Also, I'm sure the Czechs would be surprised to learn Bob Hoover invented the Lomcevak. He even spelled it wrong.
Bob Hoover didn't need to embellish his life story. The truth should impress almost any reader, but for some reason he decided to add a few things that he thought would make his history more interesting. Not a wise choice in my view.