5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good Album
Published on December 14, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good but a little sad
This was released about a year after John Denver died. I think the main reason it was released at all was so his die hard fans like me could have something new by him. It's a pretty good cd. With songs like Rita Ballou, and It's A Sin To Tell A Lie. He does good covers of Dance Little Jean and Mr. Bojangles. And a very good Four Strong Winds. My favorite song is the...
Published 28 days ago by john thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good Album, December 14, 1998
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
I must say that this album is much better than I had hoped that it would be. Beginning with the cover art the album makes a great first impression. Any John Denver fan will recognize that these pictures certainly came from the same photo shoot as his Greatest Hits album. The photos themselves are classics. The songs cover the full range of John Denver's music. They date from 1969-1980. Ten of the twelve songs are previously unreleased songs. 2 songs, "Mr. Bojangles" and "The Game is Over" are from John's LP "Whose Garden Was This?", which is not avialable on CD. The songs "Rusty Green", "No One", and "The Game Is Over" are from John's early solo days. The lyrics are heartfelt and sincere. The music is simple and uncomplicated. It reminds me of the first time I ever heard John Denver sing. The innocence and sincerity were unmistakeable. "Mr. Bojangles" is one of John's earliest ballads. Few can sing a ballad like John can. There are four songs on the album which typify the same quality as John's well known favorites. "On the Wings of an Eagle", "River", "High Wind Blowin' " and "Four Strong Winds" are strong efforts both lyrically and musically. I don't see how they never made the cut on John's previous LP releases. "Rita Ballou" , and "Nobody Can Take My Dreams From Me" are country songs. They are well done, even though I don't feel that John ever felt comfortable as a country artist. He never was a cookie cutter artist. The thing that I like about John Denver was that he was unmistakeably different from everybody else. "Dance Little Jean" is a beautifully poignant song. It made me cry the first time I heard it. "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie" is a fun song. John could have a lot of fun with music. I recommend this CD to anyone who likes John Denver's music. You won't be disappointed. I treasure it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music here!, August 3, 1999
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
When I bouth this cd I did not expect it to be filled with great songs that I never heard John Denver sing before. It's woth the price just to hear John sing "Four Strong Wings" but the biggest surprise here is the very emotional "No One" which will bring a tear or two to your eyes. If you are a fan of John Denver, you really must hear the music on this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unreleased treasures, October 14, 1998
Martin W. Ward (Littleton, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
This disc is well worth the attention of anyone who likes the music of John Denver. It contains 10 previously unreleased songs, and two alternative versions of songs. The unreleased songs are gems. Unlike some artists unreleased material, which were unreleased for a good reason, these are fully crafted songs with Denver's clear tenor voice strong, covering a period from 1969 to 1980. Several are from an unreleased album from 1979-1980, and all are terrific. A cover of Ian Tyson's "Four Strong Winds" is particularly affecting. A couple songs have writer unknown in the credits, but they are clearly the work of Denver, with images of eagles, flying, freedom, and mountains that were his specialty. Listening to this CD makes the current condition of pop music seem all the more banal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, December 14, 1998
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
committed(or should be!)John Denver fan.
I'm completely in awe as how RCA could keep the majority of these jewels out of circulation for 20 yrs., but if they've got more in store for the near future, I will probably forgive them!! I've been re-captivated by songs live "River", and "Four strong winds", and can't get them out of my mind, as if John is still in our midst, and I know that there are many of you out there that are also experiencing the same feeling of loss, especially at this season of good will towards men. John would want us to be kind to all at this time of the birth of Jesus, and throughout the year. Thanks, John for one more "final" gift. Sing with the angels, my friend. Steve...North Coast...12/14/98 end transmission.....

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Pleasant Surprise!, March 24, 2003
Michael A. Clark "Mr. Hoboken" (Londonderry Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
I was reluctant to buy this one. After reading a couple of reviews on this CD, I decided to give it a shot. I am very glad that I did. With the 10 previously unreleased tracks, John's spirit lives on through them. I was listening and thought, "that song sounds like it should have been on Whose Garden Was This" and that song sounds like it should have been on that album. When reading the leaflet I noticed the dates and said "Yeah, that's it." Listening to this CD you can hear how John Denver's voice matured through the years. He really gives the fans one final treat with this CD. One song that impresses me on this CD is "Four Strong Winds." This is a Neil Young composition and although Neil, in my opinion, doesn't sing all that great, this track was beautifully done as a duet by Neil Young. John Denver's version is just as beautifully done on such a beautiful song. This CD is a must for any John Denver fan. You won't be disappointed by this one. May he rest in peace!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and delightful, April 21, 2003
"caledoniaskye" (Tacoma, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
This isn't simply another shuffling of the hit songs of John Denver. Sometimes his voice isn't in top form but I enjoyed it. I like the variety of songs and many that I havn't heard before.
John isn't here to perfect all the music he was working on. So, if you are a die hard fan, this is the only way you will ever hear him sing some of these songs. I hope there are more songs and that they will be released in the future. But we all know that they won't be released without our support of this CD. The music is different but it is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forever John cd, October 24, 2003
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
The only reason I do not rate this with a totally all the way 5 stars, is not based on the quality of the music overall, because as always, John is just indescribable and singing is always on key throughout his career. This is really the first time that I encountered music by John at least on a couple of songs, which really are full of pain. He's a versatile artist..able to sing in such a way that touches the heart. This is true with this album. The songs "River", "Rusty Green", and "Four Strong Winds", though beautiful in their ways and sung perfectly, reflect some very sad and hopeless feelings. I do think, though, that no matter what I listen to by John since his passing, that I myself am saddened because he can only live in our hearts. But life is painful and when he first recorded these songs, I think, his own experiences greatly came through in his singing. In any case, though, although, it is not one of my very favorites, I recommend it to any real fan simply because it does reflect his life as it was. "On the Wings of Eagles", is just such an Awesomely beautiful song with the boys choir vocals in the background. John so enjoyed flying, even though he died flying, this was his most favorite thing in the world to do aside from singing. And the joy of those feelings surely come through.
We Miss You John!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Listen To This Album Again & Again, July 3, 2006
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
I know that some of the reviews for this album have not been kind. But I have to say that this album fits John extremely well. The nature of the songs (no pun intended) are a good fit for John Denver. I think that most of the tracks included are very strong performances. Some of the tracks are to me forgettable, such as Rita Ballou, No One, Dance Little Jean, Mr. Bojangles. Rusty Green is ok, I usually skip this track so that I can play my favorites over and over. On The Wings Of An Eagle, River, Four Strong Winds, High Wind Blowin', It's A Sin To Tell A Lie (a favorite of John's mom), Nobody Can Take My Dreams From Me, these songs are VERY John. The Game Is Over is an early recording of his, that alone makes it unique.

Remember that this is a compilation CD, not an actual studio album.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR OUT, December 30, 1998
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
When I listen to this collection of songs, I remember the first time I heard JD sing a song- on the school bus in high school in California. His songs have been with me ever since- some 30 years. I've tried to experience the things John wrote about- from the fire in the sky during a backpacking trip in the Sierras to the sunshine on my shoulders making me happy. Now, hearing his songs makes me feel fortunate I had the opportunities to hear his songs and see him in concert- but sad that there will be no more new JD songs. His songs will live forever in my mind and soul. Thanks John.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be Greatest Hits Volume 4, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Forever John (Audio CD)
Well, these were the tunes RCA had in the can after the untimely death of JD. Having been a fan since he emerged on the scene from his days with the Mitchell Trio, I have collected each and every album upon its release. Now I have every CD that is available. The collection does span twelve years of his discography. The songs are very good. It is hard to believe that most of these were left off of past albums. So it is a collection of "rarities" if you will. Reading some of the other reviews of this album, I cannot believe that most reviewers did not care for "Rita Ballou." I think is is classic country JD at his best. One reviewer said that John did not want to be known as a country singer. Well we all know that and he was a pop singer, but the few country tunes he did were classic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Forever John
Forever John by John Denver (Audio CD - 1998)