on November 20, 2010
Forever Never Ends is more about an entire little town and the horrow that grows there than it is about any specific character. That's not to say the characters are not important and indeed they are well thought out, living and breathing mountain folk stuck in the middle of a major crisis. Other people have written what the story is about, so I won't break it down again. Just trust me when I say give this book a try. Give all of Scott's books a try. They're fantastic.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 8, 2011
Forever Never Ends is the author's prefered version of his 2003 novel The Harvest and it seems that Nicholson is moving away from his Bentley Little style of simple titles. The Harvest Never Ends was a "what?" book for me. This does not mean that I didn't enjoy it because I did like it enough to finish, but I found it very confusing. It made me question my own intelligence at times because I honestly do not know if I am to blame for not getting it or if it is the book's fault. If you have ever read a Terry Pratchett novel, Nicholson's Forever Never Harvests reminded me of his work if he wrote crazy horror instead of ridiculous fantasy. I have read several books by Nicholson and know his style well enough now to say with confidence that he writes like this famous author you might know named No One. This style is present here too and it has a complexity that I don't usually see in horror with its insane metaphors and useage of words containing more than three syllables. Whether or not this is a good thing for a basic alien invasion novel (if you can call this one that) is up to you to decide. I honestly did not think it was but I usually dislike books about this sort of thing. The Tommyknockers was a struggle for me as an example. All in all though, despite this being my least favorite Nicholson novel so far, I am still impressed and in no way discouraged. All of my favorite authors have work that doesn't interest me so I will move on and find one of Nicholson's books that does. As he says "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger," and Never Ends The Harvest Forever most likely won't kill you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2011
This was the very first book that I read with my new Kindle (I love my Kindle by the way). This book had such rave reviews I couldn't wait to read it, 4 reviewers gave it 5 stars each, 5 stars out of 5 how could one go wrong? It has to be a good read right? Wrong.

The book started out well, the author drew me in and made me want to read more, I did. Once I was about a quarter of the way into the book I started to seriously question the 5 star ratings this book received. I thought that the book had to pick up again at some point and get better right? Wrong.

Once I was half way into the book the writing was getting so bad for me that I almost gave up and deleted the story, two or three times actually. I went back and read the reviews again and decided that the writing must get better people don't just hand out 5 star reviews right? A 5 star review is reserved for only the best writing and a great story right? Wrong, not in this case.

I finished the book somehow, mostly because I wanted to see how bad it was going to get but I'll admit that I wanted to see what happened at the end as well. I had to wonder if the reviewers read the same story that I did because the story that I read was certainly NOT a 5 star work. I'll give it 2. The idea the story had showed a lot of promise but sadly for me the writer wasn't up to the task.

Would you like an example? Warring, possible spoiler ahead.

In the small town where the story takes place they have an annual festival, Blossomfest they call it. Folks are getting ready for the festival and there are several people in the town square setting up booths and a sound stage. A local radio announcer is on hand doing a live remote talking about this and that, stuff related to Blossomfest. The announcer starts doing a commercial for a local business. Just then the monsters show up and start doing what these monsters do, making more monsters out of the normal people. The announcer sees this happening but doesn't miss a beat with his commercial spiel, in fact, he keeps on doing his commercial even after one of the monsters grabs him and is about to have his monster way with him. Come on! Perhaps the DJ is just THAT dedicated to his job right? Wrong. That's poor writing.

Needless to say, I finally deleted this story from my Kindle.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...