Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on August 30, 1999
I LOVE to read but...the writing was less than impressive AND it was so boring I couln't stand it long enough to finish it (A rarity for me!).
on January 22, 1999
Pick up this book and be prepared for an agonizing game of mental ping-pong as you're jerked back and forth from first person to third person narrative. The effect isn't thought provoking or stimulating, just fatiguing.
This puzzling narrative style adds insult to injury as the premise starts off promisingly, but halfway through, when the protagonist faces his imminent self-confrontation, the storyline unravels in a flurry of laughable plot twists.
I have now officially given up on Science Fiction -- thank you Mr. Haldeman.
on August 19, 2015
excellent sci fi story
on October 17, 2014
I enjoyed the book
on September 7, 1998
This book is typical Joe Haldeman in that it is sound and hard science fiction, the plot, the action, and the characterization are all first rate. I would like to do a little nit-picking, though. On Page 167, I read the following:
"And they all became...civilized? Amelia said.
"The verb we used is 'humanized," Marty said.
The word "civilized," as used in the sentence, is surely a predicate adjective and not a verb! The verb, of course, is "became."
on April 18, 2003
I am really disappointed that this isn't a better book. The central idea behind it - that soldiers fighting with the benefit of futuristic man-machine interfaces might become conditioned against war - is an intriguing one. Unfortunately, nothing in the story lives up to the potential of this idea.
The characters that ultimately must come together to pull off the climax of this story start off with convenient pre-existing relationships. This is a pet peeve of mine, and it signals to me that the author didn't want to take the time to develop real relationships between the key players.
What's more, the grand end game comes about in an unbelievably short amount of time. The author seems to think that we'll swallow a series of world-changing events that take place in a matter of months. Not only that, but through the efforts of a relatively small cast of characters! I think not. It just doesn't work for me.
I would recommend reading Forever War, a completely different and much better novel. Then, quit while you're ahead.
on October 28, 1998
Not my favorite book. Not my least favorite by far. The technology was interesting and advanced the plot. I also enjoyed the switchings of perspective. I think most of those 'writing rules' were all good in the third grade, but by middle school I realized that most good writing really doesn't need to follow them. I like the book to speak for itself, not some antiquicated notion of what is 'proper.'
on August 6, 1999
This was the first book I've read by Haldeman, but it won't be my last! I like a book to challenge me, and this one did at many levels. I found some of the scenes disturbing - and I like that. A good book entertains you, surprises you, and wakes you up to new ideas. This book succeeds on all three fronts. If you like thought provoking science fiction, you will love this book.
on August 30, 1999
.. this was my first book my Joe Haldeman and it had some great ideas in it, I really enjoyed some of the plot twists he put in, they make great conversation pieces. The story was somewhat lacking, I thought the ending was sort of a cop-out, but otherwise, not a bad sci-fi book.
on August 30, 1999
This book has some great ideas in it, including things which really make you think about some of the possibilities for the future. I recommend it on that basis alone. The ending of the book is a little weak I think, but overall it's a good read.