4.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Final Album From A Pop Phenomenon
Published on December 23, 2003 by Busy Body

2.0 out of 5 stars Disastrous
Published on November 15, 2000 by Aaron Long

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Final Album From A Pop Phenomenon, December 23, 2003
Busy Body (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
When people look back on the biggest popular culture impacts of the 20th Century, they're gonna remember people like Madonna, Elvis, the Beatles, Marilyn Monroe and the Spice Girls. However, what separates the Spice Girls from those other four is the fact that they had just four years to make a big enough impact on the century for people to remember. As you probably know as you read this, they did more than just that. From their debut album "Spice" in 1996 which sold 25 million copies, to the sponsorship deals with Pepsi/Walkers/Polaroid/Impulse/Sony/Mercedes, to front-page tabloid headlines on a daily basis, it's not ridiculous to say that they ruled the world. In about the same amount of time as the Beatles, the Spice Girls ripped the world to bits everywhere they went. Not since the Fab Four had the world seen such crazy children, buying everything from lollipops to t-shirts of their idols.

Britney might have sold more records, but she'll never hold a torch to the phenomenal impact that the Spice Girls had on a world scale. The Spicy fivesome were selling millions of copies of each single they released. That just doesn't happen with any act. Critics laughed at them, but 1996 and 1997 became the years of Spice. The departure of Geri Halliwell, the lead singer of sorts, on 31st May 1998 threw the record industry into turmoil: Virgin reported losses of $300 million on that day alone. The Girls vowed to carry on, but by the end of the year it was evident that the girls were crumbling. They took all of 1999 off and returned in November 2000 with their third album "Forever."

Forever is the third and least popular album from the Spice Girls. It barely made a dint on the US charts in comparison to their first two albums which sold more than 10 million copies between them in the States. In the UK it spent just one week in the Top 10 at No.2 - a far cry from the days when their debut spent almost a year in the Top 10. Worst of all, they were beaten to No.1 by Westlife, Ireland's premier cheesy boyband with about as much talent as Anna Nicole.

"Holler" opens Forever in style. This song became the 9th UK No.1 single for the Spice Girls in October 2000. The production here is high from Darkchild and the girls all have equal vocal contributions. The R'n'B beats are heavy-hitting and the song has just as much melodic excellence that made songs such as "Say You'll Be There" and "Spice Up Your Life" such popular hits. "Tell Me Why" has a cool Japanese lady speaking, before the funky beats kick in. Victoria starts the singing, and Melanie C's vocal support the songs foundations. "Let Love Lead The Way" was the other song that joined Holler as a Double A-Side to become No.1. It's a beautiful ballad that contrasts the other song, but definitely not the best ballad by the girls - those odes belong to 2 Become 1, Too Much and Viva Forever. "Right Back At Ya" has some wonderful computerized effects to begin with and the vocals from Melanie B inparticularly are strong.

"Get Down With Me" is just so damn funky. You just wanna bang your head so hard when Darkchild starts whispering in tune to the beat, and Melanie B's voice complements him well. "Wasting My Time" is an extremely classy song with some posh instruments and sunlit vocals from Emma. "Weekend Love" is the first mid-tempo song of its kind on the album. For about the first two minutes and 40 seconds it's a rather slow song, then Mel B lets rip with her true feelings! "Time Goes By" is another ballad, while "If You Wanna Have Some Fun" remains my favourite song on the whole album. This shows how the Spice Girls can produce such catchy and melodic pop hits with such simplicity. They don't need that many producers or writers - they can do it themselves. "Oxygen" is a gorgeous ballad, which is followed by the Spice Girls' 8th UK No.1, "Goodbye." This topped the charts for Christmas 1998 and was the Spice Girls' third consecutive Christmas No.1 after Too Much in 1997 and 2 Become 1 in 1996. It's such a gorgeous ballad and obviously about Geri leaving.

OVERALL GRADE: 8/10

Geri Halliwell leaving the Spice Girls caused the downfall of the biggest girl band in the history of music. No, not TLC or Destiny's Child had as big an impact on the world as the Spice Girls! They shifted almost 50 million albums in four years and produced some of the biggest hits in history. People may diss them now, but people will still be dancing to the likes of Wannabe and Stop at Christmas parties in ten years' time. I'd give Forever three stars because it has lost the traditional pop edge of their last two albums which hold so much memories for me, but I'd definitely give it five stars for the production values as an album on its own, which averages this album out at four stars. If you've got their first two albums, just give this one a go. It's pretty damn good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing release of the year, October 19, 2000
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
It is the best spice girls album yet.With 11 amazing tracks who doesn't want to buy it? It features the amzing singles "holler" which is a cool cool r&b track and "let love lead the way" which is a wonderful ballad which you can cry and sing along to. Other tracks includes the nice and soft ballad "oxygen" the up-beat "If you wanna have some fun" and also the song which we had already heard a live version of it, "right back atcha"! and other great tracks!The album is really amazing so amazing that no words can describe it go get it out on nov.6 in the UK/Asia the 7th in the US and get ready for the spice of your life!Everything you want is on the new spice girls album "Forever"

5.0 out of 5 stars The Spice Return That Never Got A Chance..., March 15, 2005
M. Evans (Marion, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
What can I say about this album? It's a masterpiece that never got a chance. The Spice girls made this amazing pop/r&b sound a year before Nsync got the credit for it. That's right Nsync got credit for doing a pop/r&b album and radio loved it, but what many seem to forget is the Spice Girls made this sound and Nsync just stole it, if not from the Spice Girls than the Backstreet Boys because the Spice Girls did an album full of the songs and BsB did a few pop/r&b songs of their own, but as I said above Nsync got the credit.

Now I'm not gonna ramble on about Nsync, but I will say that the main reason this album flopped was because it got little to no promotion, and of course the fact that Geri left, but they still managed a great album and some great songs without her that were VERY radio friendly, Virgin records just wanted to suck what little money they could get out of the girls with spending as little money as possible to promote the record. I'm not sure how well the promotion was for this album in the UK or other countries for that matter, but in the US everyone I know didn't even know they had a new album coming out, and those who did, didn't know when it was being released. I personaly never heard "Holler" Or "Let Love Lead The Way" on the radio, and the only place I ever saw both videos was on Much Music and "Holler" was on the TRL countdown for a short time. I do believe had the girls been backed by Virgin Records then this album would have done better.

Now onto a review on the songs!

1. Holler 10/10 - A great dance track... This track should have been #1 on the billboards, but sadly didn't get that chance. If you listen to the words it's a bit sexual, but it's more fun than anything.

2. Tell Me Why 10/10 - This should have def. been a single. I believe it would have been cosidering promo singles got sent out to radio. This song is clearly about Geri, it's a funky R&B/Dance song. I love this one as much as "Holler" if not more. This one clearly stands out on the album.

3. Let Love Lead The Way 10/10 - A great mid-tempo ballad with a great beat, this was the 2nd single, but was released on a double a-side single with "Holler". This could have really been a big hit for them.

4. Right Back At Ya 10/10 - Another favorite of mine, this actually used to be my favorite song on the album, until I overplayed it lol! This is a funky R&B song basically saying that the girls are back, my favorite moment in this song is when Mel B does her rap about the girls being back, it rox! This also had a radio sound, probably would have made a single also.

5. Groove With Me 6/10 - Well this is actually a favorite of alot of people that I've let listen to my copy of 'Forever'. I personaly don't care to much for the beat, it's really funky. I gave it a 6 out of a 10 b/c it's a good song, just I really don't care to much for it. The chorus is really good though and the girls vocals aren't bad either.

6. Wasting My Time 5/10 - Now this is the only other song on the album I don't care to much for. I guess as I said before the beats a little to funky for me lol and I don't feel it goes that great with the girls vocals. In my opinion Victorias vocals go the best with this song because her voice is best with this kind of music.

7. Weekend Love 10/10 - Another favorite of mine off the album... It's a mid-tempo song, starts off like a ballad and is pretty slow until the end where Mel B breaks out in a rap. It's original sounding and could have def. been a radio hit for the girls.

8. Time Goes By 10/10 - Well this is a really nice ballad off the album, the girls all have great vocals on the album. This would have made a great video, but probably a little to slow for radio, I don't think it would have picked up. All of the girls vocals shine on this song, but Mel B in my opinion owns this one when she sings her part.

9. If You Wanna Have Some Fun 8/10 - Hm well this ones really different and good to, but not a favorite of mine, but I usually find myself listening to it when I listen to the cd. It's a really good song with a great beat and but I don't feel it would have been a single, so I give it an 8 out of a 10. The one thing that stands out on this song is the chorus and the beat.

10. Oxygen 10/10 - I LOVE this song, it's probably my favorite ballad off the album, it's just so soothing. I really enjoy listening to this song when I have the album out. The girls vocals sound so good on here especially when they sing the chorus together, I can't say who owns this song because I feel like they all do!

11. Goodbye 10/10 - What can you say about the song that said 'Goodbye' to the infamous Ginger Spice? It's a great song and will def. go down as one of their greatest singles!

That's my thoughts on this album, I think if you like R&B and PoP music than this is an album for you, and if you like ballads, theres a few on here for you! I do want to add that the girls did an amazing job on this album and for that they get mad respect from me for doing such a great album. Though in most of the songs on this cd you can tell where Geri would have sung, it's almost like they left a spot open for her return one day. I guess if they ever do have a reunion, than theres plenty of room to add Geri's vocals on each song if they did a reunion tour! Hope my review helped!

-maTT

4.0 out of 5 stars Girl Power Becomes Young Woman Power, December 21, 2001
eskimodahl (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong: I love Geri, she was my favorite. I also loved the "Who cares if we're cheesy, we're goofing off and having fun and reveling in the wonder that is girlhood!" attitude of their previous albums. Considering that two of the remaining Spice Girls have married and become mothers, we have to expect their music to mature as well. For all those who doubted the girls named Spice before, I assure you that this move was NOT a mistake! In their words "the Girls are coming back again," and their new sound is worth a listen. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Some of the tracks were produced by Dark Child, a well known producer who has worked with the likes of Toni Braxton. That, coupled with the girls' heightened contributions to the writing and producing of the album, gives us a more urbanized, stylish sound. Their harmonies still retain that Spice sound, but their tone is different. Standouts include "If You Wanna Have Some Fun," "Get Down With Me," and the awesome "Wasting My Time."
I gave this album only 4 stars because the girls included some ballads. They weren't awful, but they didn't match the upbeat, confident tone of the uptempo songs, which are the true trophies of the album. They hit the highest point they could ever reach, ballad-wise, on the first album with "Two Become One," and should have left well enough alone.
Despite the slow songs, this is a wonderful effort from the Spice Girls, and it's a shame that it hasn't gotten as much airplay as the first two albums did. I hope the girls won't be discouraged, and continue to progress in their music, because this was a huge leap forward. For the listeners, continue to play "Spice" and "Spice World" for your all-girl-flannel-pajama-parties, but for your all-girl-nite-on-the-town evenings, play "Forever." This album celebrates the feeling of being a young, attractive woman, confidently making her way into the world, who says "no" and is heard, but only has to beckon when she wants something. This new image of the quintessential Spice Girl doesn't have to giggle at her mistakes to save her own ego and endear herself to others by acting cutesy to win their approval. We left that girl behind with "Spice World."

5.0 out of 5 stars Forvever and ...More, November 25, 2000
TK (KL, M;sia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
The first single for this album, Holler is definitely a song that make you wanna sing along. When it was first played in the radio, I was charmed by it....
And now, the second single which is a ballad has quickly gained entry to the charts as well. Let Love Lead The Way is a smooth and slow number that make you fall in love to it.
Other favourites in this album includes oxygen, weekend love and a few funky tracks like tell me why and right back at ya. For her fans, dont worry, they still maintain their post Spice Girls with a polished and updated pop this time around.
Also, with the help of Rodney Jerkins(Whitney Houston) and Terry Lewis and Jimmy Jam(Mariah Carey) as producers, Spice Girls will go no wrong.
Try to look out for the COOL video for Holler too, it's creatively done and also their new looks for the Spice Girls. Way to go! If you are bored with the season's songs, why not trying out Forever for a different flavour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album - the best the Spice Girls has ever done, December 14, 2000
Jaki Bee (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
I bought the album because I liked "Holler" and the single wasn't released in the USA. My first run-through the album was OK - a few stand-outs - "Holler", "Right Back At Ya", "Get Down With Me" and "If you Wanna Have Some Fun". By the third listen, I loved all the songs. Excellent arrangements, excellent ballads - "Oxygen" and "Time Goes By" are now my favorites. Excellent album all around. Their fans that have not yet bought this CD are missing out on a lot. I am now a Spice Girls fan. Imagine, I previously thought they were annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disastrous, November 15, 2000
Aaron Long (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
I was astonished to read the reviews of Forever when it was initially released, but having bought it and listened to it I can see they were wholly justified. When Geri Halliwell left, she took whatever personality, charm, fun and dare I say spice with her. There is no denying that these girls have talent, but it is pretty short in supply on this bland, generic wannabe album. The only decent tracks are Holler, Goodbye and Oxygen, the latter two the only ones that deserve to be called singles ! Come back Geri all is forgiven....

2.0 out of 5 stars Alienating, November 7, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
No wonder Victoria said in a recent interview that it wouldn't matter if they didn't go to number 1 in the UK because Westlife release theirs on tha same day: becasue they aim at gaining even more success in the US, this album is totally R&B, and in my opinion this is a stab at the old fans. They totally abandoned the formula that got them this far. So what if they recorded the tracks all over the world? They all sound the same and for R&B tracks there's much better out there, even for a R&B hater like myself. Don't know how other fans will take this in Europe, I'm sure it will do good in the US, but I don't like it one bit. Goodbye is totally out of place (I like it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, this proves it..., December 19, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
The Spice Girls have done it again. If you are thinking of buying it, then you might want to read this.
Holler- 9/10-it is o.k., one of my faves. Tell Me Why- 8/10 it is catchy! Let Love Lead The Way-10/10!! This is the best on the CD! It is beautiful!! Right Back Atcha-9/10-it says they will be back! Of course..Emma & the girls say themselves this isn't their last CD! :) Get Down With Me-8/10-it's good, but it's not my fave. Wasting My Time-9/10-It kicks any doubt that the Spice Gals haven't changed a bit! (yay!) Weekend Love-10/10-starts as a ballad, then turns around and surprises you w/ Mel's rap part :) Time Goes By-10/10-Oh, it'll make you cry it's so sweet and beautiful..bravo for a very good ballad!! If You Wanna Have Some Fun 9/10-it's very well done! Oxygen-10/10-Ah...another beautiful tear-jerker love ballad.. :) Goodbye-10/10-I'm sure we've all heard it many times, but this ballad never gets old.
It's wonderful, I hope this helps you decide which album to buy for Christmas this year! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful third time around...., December 2, 2000
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
Their first two albums were undeniably very teenybopper pop, with infectious chorus like "if you wanna be my lover..." running through your head, whether you wanted to or not. But they've changed a lot over the past years, and this CD shows it. Starting from Holler, which is a R&B dance song that is quite catchy, it goes through a rollercoaster of genres, from R&B to ballad to pop with some raps here and there. Although some songs are not the best (Tell Me Why wasn't that great to me), the other songs make it up. Oxygen has to be the BEST ballad I have ever heard for a long while. And I bet you that it will be a single someday soon. Holler and Let Love Lead The Way, which were released as a double-A side, are very good songs in their own right. Holler is a song you can (or must) dance to, and LLLTW is another good ballad. Wasting My Time is catchy too, along with If You Wanna Have Some Fun. All in all, this is a great CD for Spice and non-Spice fans alike.

Forever