5.0 out of 5 stars You'll DIE laughing!
Published on May 2, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Bad and the Undead
I wish I could say I loved every story in this book. Heck, I wish I could say I liked every story. But sadly, most were boring, trite, and forgettable. There was some humor. I enjoyed the characters being named after people from famous zombie movies. But mostly, I am glad the author provided it for free, as I would have been a bit miffed it I had paid for it.
Published on December 20, 2009 by B. Tetrault

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll DIE laughing!, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales (Paperback)
Forever Zombie is exactly what it appears to be and much more! The zombie stories are on the lighter side, with plenty of gross-out, blended with intelligent humor. I really enjoyed this anthology! Stan does a great job of churning the stomach while tickling the funny bone! He reminds us that not all zombies are of the Dawn of the Dead sort, it's quite all right to be the Shawn of the Dead sort! I would recommend this to anyone who really enjoys zombies, so long as they aren't purists who are offended by the lighter side of horror! Great work Stan-I look forward to reading more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies with a Good Twist, June 14, 2011
Maria C. Cuadro (Silver Spring, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I got a copy of Stan Swanson's Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales, and I am very pleased and amused by the anthology. The collection tackled a variety of themes, the stories all kept a brisk pace, and yet the gruesome-ness of the walking dead was maintained. A preference for humor notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed Swanson's exploration of all things zombie. I'm fond of zombie stories, but most of what I've read are variations on isolated zombie encounters. They're usually pockets of confrontation - one or several zombies versus one person or a town of people, and the tussle is hidden from the rest of the world. The most recent themes I've encountered are the Zombie Apocalypse and the Zombification via Sophisticated Virus. To all this, Stan Swanson adds one more concept: Zombie Citizenry, or Zombies as Part of Civilization.

Readers will find isolated zombie encounters in the collection, but with a special Swanson twist. In "High Noon Revisited" for example, he took the popular Wild West stereotype of the best gunslingers seeking each other out to see who is the quicker draw, then he put a zombie in the mix. Net result - an interesting zombie premise! The story "A Night at the Zombie Museum" sounded like a spin-off or a kind of homage to the popular Hollywood movie of similar name, but it was far from it. Swanson took a bickering middle-aged couple, introduced them to a happily married older couple, added a single zombie, gave a nod to other stories found in this anthology, and PRESTO - a great end piece for the fifteen stories in the collection.

Zombie Apocalypse and Zombification via Virus is also represented. A good example of the chaos beginning is "Ambulance Chasers": as with any disaster, if a Zombie Apocalypse hits, it would be the first-responders who get to witness and deal with the start of the mayhem. In "The Smell of Death", a story recently featured in Dark Moon Books's horror genre quarterly, the reader was taken to the middle of the undead chaos and watched as a bunch of people tackled the possible risks of hunkering down in one place while food supplies dwindle. In this tale Swanson stayed funny and crude without lessening the horror of the characters' predicament. For "Ozark Hicks and Zombie Chicks", there's a biker gang, zombies that require brains, and the Hatfield clan of hillbillies that may not meet the requirement - all worth reading and chuckling over.

The contribution to zombie lore that I found most intriguing in Swanson's collection is the one that dissects the possibility of Zombie Citizenry. My top pick would be "Hail to the Chief". What better way for zombies to be a respected demographic than by lobbying for the attention of the highest office in the land? In their own special way, of course! From politics the reader is taken to the other end of a capitalist society in the story "Playmate". Would you buy a zombie if you could? Or, instead of zombies for personal use, should they be used like equipment, as the story "Deep Freeze" suggests? And what of the zombie's loved ones? The story "Home Sweet Home" sheds light on how to look after a loved one who passes on (sort of) and only wants to shuffle around and eat brains for the rest of their days.

This collection is generously peppered with witty, gruesome humor - but Swanson stayed smart without losing the horror. It is that dark wit that informed the varied themes, that nuanced the intriguing situations, and that makes Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales a recommended read, and one of my favorite collections of zombie stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun summer zombie read!, August 1, 2011
"Forever Zombie" is a collection of 15 horror comedy zombie short stories. The overall feel of the book reminded me of Christopher Moore: light and fun and something you read as an escape from the hectic stress of everyday life. The stories have many references to popular culture: movies (nods to Italian zombie legend directors Fulci and Romero, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and many action and even western flicks), books ("The Oprah Book Club"), technology (the grim reaper with an i-phone), and social issues (the elderly, medical care, childcare, marital strife, etc). I liked how the author spun issues such as caring for the elderly ("All in the Family"), a baby born with some medical issues ("The Farmer's Daughter"), and finding the perfect friend for your child ("Playmate") into zombie tales. There's gore, there's dude humor, there's swearing, but I found Swanson's stories to be entirely enjoyable and a book I easily read in an afternoon.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Bad and the Undead, December 20, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who can't get enough of the disgusting shamblers, February 9, 2010
There's more to zombies than brain eating. "Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales" is a collection of different sorts of zombie stories, as Stan Swanson presents his take on the ways of the Undead, and the concerns of the after life. The legal rights of zombies, winning a heart after yours has stopped, how smart is a zombie anyway, and much more, "Forever Zombie" is a must for anyone who can't get enough of the disgusting shamblers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised, and nothing more, March 8, 2012
All in all, I would have to say it would be difficult to rate this book any lower or higher than a 3. To me its the same as asking someone to rate anchovies. You either love it, or you hate it. So the most fair way to rate it is split the difference.. a 3. With this book you really get what they advertise, a bunch of "guy stories". For all you of the opposite gender, what that basically means is abandon your sense of judgement, drop your scruples, and beware of fart jokes. Some of the stories are funny (if you're a guy the hilarity is multiplied for some genetic reason). Others are a bit of a stretch. But like I said, it's a collection of good and bad.. so split the difference and you have an average book. It'll keep you entertained at times and leave you squirming for the next story at others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short Zombie Stories Written with Tongue-in-Cheek Humor, September 1, 2014
"Forever Zombie" is a collection of short, humorous stories about the undead in a world where theres no plague or apocalypse or infection zombies just are, and they show up in the most unexpected of places.

In "Every Death You Take," the Grim Reaper shows up at a law firm to do his job, and finds that his victim has become undead a little early; in "The Farmer's Daughter," a woman doesn't let her fiance's undead affliction keep them apart; and in "The Oprah Book Club," a man is so chatty with a visitor that he fails to notice the visitor is a little too pale and hungry…

The above is just a short sampling of the stories, and happened to be my three favorites, though I also enjoyed "A Night at the Zombie Museum," in large part because of the bickering couple trying to make a second honeymoon romantic. The stories are all written in a tongue-in-cheek style; there's not a lot of gore here, and the author is obviously going for a humorous riff on the genre rather than trying to scare your socks off. I liked this collection and was amused by it, though generally I'm drawn more to longer short stories with a little more character development than I am to funny vignettes.

Recommended to readers who would enjoy short stories with a whimsical twist on a traditional horror genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forever Zombie review, September 15, 2014
Forever Zombie is a series of short stories connected by common themes of the dead returning for "Braaaaains." The stories tend to begin in much the same way, by showing a sliver of someones daily life before someone dies and is resurrected as a zombie. Other characters will then react with shock or, in some cases, a sense of nonchalance about the prevalence of the roaming dead.

The stories are light hearted in nature, even as they're sprinkled with bits of gore and violence. Death makes an appearance, and there are tons of pop culture references to Apple products and Playstations and relevant zombie TV shows. The stories tend to lack real conclusions and impact and tend to be excuses for some laughs about zombies. They might be somewhat connected (as sometimes characters will make references to outbreaks in other parts of the world), but it doesn't really go anywhere with that. I think if you want some very, very light fiction this would be good for you, but I tend to enjoy more substance.

The writing is simple and modern in style. Some of the metaphors and turns of phrases are actually kind of nice and help paint the various settings. The editing also doesn't look too shabby. All in all it gets the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, August 18, 2014
Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales is a small but fantastically funny collection of short stories about how everyday life would be if zombies were a fact of life. Each story takes a tongue-in-cheek look at different situations where the zombie “infection” has taken hold of society. There’s the man who brings his elderly parents into his home to look after him and the situation goes from bad to deadly. The rookie EMT on a ride-along with a crazy veteran ambulance driver who has his own motto used against him. One of my favorites involves a rich couple who have no time for their daughter so they buy her a disturbing “toy”. I took this book with me to the beach and got some strange looks when I laughingly told my husband how much I enjoyed dead people. This is a very funny book, both relaxing and enjoyable. The cover is fantastic and made me interested in picking the book up. It had perfect formatting and editing for my ereader. I can’t wait to read more of Mr. Swanson’s work.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun little read not to be taken seriously..., December 14, 2009
The stories in this book are pretty decent, but the pop culture references get a bit boring and overbearing. Okay, we get it, you like pop culture. The stories themselves are fun, but it's not hard to see where exactly Mr. Swanson gets a lot of his inspiration from ("Playmate" being the biggest offender). Some of the stories are cringe-worthy due to the dialogue, especially in the first story "Every Death You Take" when Death starts talking about Family Guy.

My favorite story in the entire collection is "Home, Sweet, Home" because I felt the concept was so novel. It was quite enjoyable and I actually found myself laughing at the main character's thoughts and actions.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants some light reading and wants a good laugh. It's a book that doesn't take itself seriously and the author's knowledge of zombies is evident in the text itself.

Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales
Forever Zombie: A Collection of Undead Guy Tales by Stan Swanson (Paperback - November 16, 2009)
$14.95 $13.84