Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Forgetting the Girl
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 3, 2013
I take writing reviews very seriously and my primary goal is to give other movie buffs an honest opinion of what I liked and what I didn't like. As I read through the reviews of this movie, I'm amazed at the ALL 5 STAR ratings - I've never seen a movie with a solid 5, have you? Curious? Me too. I looked at every review on the first screen for the movie Forgetting the Girl and found EVERY ONE OF THEM had only 1 review "under their belt". Which one? Forgetting the Girl. Although well-written, why would all the reviewers only have this movie reviewed? Coincidence or are we being tricked into believing this is the sleeper of the year - a diamond in the rough - the be all end all movie of all time.......I doubt that is the case. Almost fell for it though.
1515 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
I agree with the others who say all the people giving this movie 5 stars must have a personal interest. It is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I feel obligated to warn others before they purchase. It's a sad, disturbing, silly movie.
on October 19, 2013
I love indy films and Film Movement have had some of the best. HOWEVER, this movie dragged on so badly, i started looking up other movies to watch while it was on. I'm only writing this review because I deeply regret shelling out 7 bucks to see it on the pre-dvd release option. I should have paid attention to the IMDB reviews, instead of some of the undoubtedly fake 5 star reviews on here. I can easily endure a slower paced film, as long as the acting is good and the story compelling. This movie was neither.
on October 16, 2013
I watched this at a friends house and could barely finish this. I've seen better writing and acting in high school student films. I agree with the previous reviewers, I think the comment boards for this film have been blanketed by shills for the film. Don't waste your time or your money on this.
on October 12, 2013
These ratings are a PURE scam!! Each rater has only one rating EVER! What does that tell you! STAY away from this movie of course unless you helped produce it........
We’ve been spoiled. No, I’m not talking about plot details; rather, I’m talking about whodunits. Those of us who truly enjoy whodunits have been inundated for decades with some quality yarns that’ve kept us guessing for years. Granted, it’s hard to go back and watch them again as half of the fun is gone precisely because we know how it’ll end, so knowing that ‘the butler did it’ releases us from the requirement to watch closely. Instead, repeat viewings give us the chance to uncover something else, something that eluded us the first time, something that escaped notice or mention. That’s the only joy in watching a great mystery again, and I suspect there might be more than a few who are willing to spend 85 minutes exploring what flew by from their first experience with FORGETTING THE GIRL.

To be fair, they may not discover all that much, but what they will enjoy is a second helping to a great pairing of the film’s central players: Denham and Beamish.

(NOTE: The following review will contain minor spoilers necessary solely for the discussion of plot and/or characters. If you’re the kind of reader who prefers a review entirely spoiler-free, then I’d encourage you to skip down to the last three paragraphs for my final assessment. If, however, you’re accepting of a few modest hints at ‘things to come,’ then read on …)

Kevin Wolfe (played by Christopher Denham) is a big city photographer with no real dreams of making it big so much as he only wants to find something resembling true love. In his quest, he’s committed himself to a single plan: he asks every single girl who sits with him for headshots if she’ll go out on a date with him. Most decline, and few accept, but all of them end up forcing him to find some way to forget rejection, so Wolfe occupies his free time with activities requiring him to ‘forget the girl.’ After one of them who did accept ends up missing – Adrienne (Anna Camp, in an all-too-brief role) – Kevin suddenly finds himself questioning his past, present, and future only to realize that the danger may’ve been much closer than he ever realized.

Make no bones about it: first and foremost, FORGETTING THE GIRL is a character drama. The film is grounded in two terrific performances, those of Denham and his studio gal-pal, Jamie (Lindsay Beamish as a Gothic li’l mouse). Tortured for years over her unspoken attraction to her boss, she’s consoled herself over her various failures with drugs and alcohol (we see in the story that she has a caring sponsor helping her through recovery), and she’s taken to berating the image of herself in the mirror’s reflection. Still, she’s trapped in a Hell of her own making, applying make-up to generally make the women Kevin pursues more and more attractive.

Whereas Jamie’s mental struggles are largely front-and-center much of the time, Kevin’s are always lurking beneath the surface. True, he spends a good amount of time ‘confessing’ to the audience – he narrates the film with the handy assistance of a slide projector – but, when he’s not directing or misdirecting us, Peter Moore Smith’s smart script explores Kevin’s attempts to piece together what happened with his kid sister when they were young. Because he’s spent so much of his life forgetting girls, he can’t recall what it was that led to her drowning in the family pool, though he believes it couldn’t have been as simple as an accident.

These two performances – one grounded in denial and one founded on TMI (Too Much Information) – anchor this wonderful duet. It’s clear that circumstances will bring these two together in ways neither of them predicted, but it’s a fear of what might happen as a consequence that keeps an audience hoping and praying that it won’t happen. It’s all cat-and-mouse, though it’s only psychological in nature. It never steps right up and pounds a hammer over your head … but it just might somebody else in the picture.

Lastly, there are a few other smaller performances in here – one by Elizabeth Rice as the fresh-faced potential suitor to Kevin’s affections, and another by BOARDWALK EMPIRE’s Paul Sparks as the sleazy neighbor/landlord who might be trafficking in evil – that spark and pop with just the right balance of emotive chemistry to this delightful concoction. These subtle nuances add to an already great layer of work that’ll make FORGETTING hard to forget.

FORGETTING THE GIRL (2012) is produced by Forgetting The Girl and Full Stealth Films. DVD distribution is being handled by RAM Releasing. As for the technical specifications, this is one smartly made independent features, and, as such, it serves up some high quality sights and sounds. As for the special features, fans are in for a treat: the disc boasts a commentary track from director Taylor, deleted scenes, web videos that expand modestly on the story, and the theatrical trailer – a nice collection put together entirely for folks who fancies are tickled by this sort of fare.

RECOMMENDED. It’s rare for one to discover a finely-crafted character drama that flirts so successfully with serial killing, but – if that’s your yen – then you’d be well-served to discover FORGETTING THE GIRL. No, there aren’t a lot of twists and turns, but there are just enough to keep you guessing throughout the picture’s polite hints at whodunit. What’s more important – so far as this reviewer is concerned – is Denham’s smart turn as a lead here, so steeped in personal denial that it’s matched with equal manic intensity by Beamish’s obviously off-kilter kinda/sorta stalker. It’s the one-two punch here that elevates GIRL to memorable cinema.

In the interests of fairness, I’m pleased to disclose that the fine folks at RAM Releasing provided me with an advance DVD copy of FORGETTING THE GIRL by request for the expressed purposes from completing this review.
on June 26, 2015
How in the world did this rate 5 stars by anyone. The main girl's name is Anna Camp. Should be Anna Campy. The movie sucked and I've never seen more sad, desperate souls in one movie. Yuck! Don't watch...very dark.
on September 28, 2015
What a stupid and horrible movie. I watched all the way to the bitter end because of the high reviews, now I read that the 5 star reviews are from shills. Don't be taken in like I was!!! It really is as dumb as it seems.
on June 22, 2016
This was a weird movie. Drama, not much action, funniness, sadness or horror. The main character is a strange guy but normal enough that you don't think much of quirkiness. Just a film about a college age guy trying to get his life and career started. So you think. The last 10 minutes changes everything I thought about what was going on throughout the whole film. Saying more here will give away major spoilers.
on May 15, 2016
The main actor was a cutey. The movie was cool because he seems to be trying to tell you something. Your waiting to find out for sure what you think you know, but TWIST! You don't.Pretty slow, very calm movie. I watched it before I went to bed.This movie had a perspective about death I never thought about bringing to light. I give respect for delving into the deep and connecting with specific personalities.