4.0 out of 5 stars "THESE HATERS CAN'T HOLD ME BACK"
Published 18 months ago by DA 1THRILLA

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss
Rick Ross has become one of the most popular MC's over his career thus far; creating the Maybach Music 'empire' and putting out a numerous amount of Hip/Hop 'bangers.' Ross' fifth album has some bright spots and some generic spots, which blends in well with current rap as a whole (unfortunately).

The most hyped cut off the "God Forgives, I Don't" album is "3...
Published on August 2, 2012 by Justin

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, August 2, 2012

The most hyped cut off the "God Forgives, I Don't" album is "3 Kings", featuring Dr. Dre and Jay-Z. This track had insurmountable hype, considering Ross had two Hip/Hop legends spitting verses by his side. With that being said, "3 Kings" didn't live up to the hype. Dr. Dre spits a verse that isn't anything out of the ordinary, simply because it was ghost-written; the same thing goes with HOV on an effort level. Jay-Z is notorious as being one of the greats and putting out classics, but his verse comes off as nothing more than a recycled freestyle with an arrogant kick. Ross & Jay-Z's bars are both decent, while Dre disappoints. Call me critical, but I was expecting more out of these three MC's for a reason.

Leaving off on that note, the other notable singles off Ross' album are "So Sophisticated" featuring Meek Mill; "Touch'n You" featuring Usher; lastly, "Hold Me Back." The beat on "So Sophisticated" does justice to Meek's 'smash-mouth', 'scream first' style, but that is the best thing about it. Ross outshines the hyped young MC with his verse's but it's just another Maybach 'banger'. "Touch'n You" is on the more 'sleek' side, complemented by Usher. The songs bars and vocals resemble Usher's & Ross' cut on "Looking 4 Myself", so it's a bit too similar to that. The song is something you could kick back to and enjoy; but while enjoyable, it's also a try-hard attempt at a single. Lastly, "Hold Me Back" is a single that has got a lot of attention lately because of the BET Video controversy. The song has a hard-knock beat but Ross' vocals are quite annoying.

The singles don't do "God Forgives, I Don't" justice, but a few tracks stand as 'diamonds in the rough' on the album. "Diced Pineapples" is a cut I really enjoyed, not to mention it features Wale and Drake. The laid back style and the smooth feel of the song is what's so appealing. Ross' spits two solid verses that relate well with the subject and his personal life as well (Pineapple is the man's favorite fruit). Wale does very well outside of his comfort zone, basically reciting poetry at the beginning; while Drake's hook comes off well showing his strong R&B vocal ability. "Sixteen" featuring the great, yet underrated MC Andre 3000 is one of my other favorites on the album. The song is true to it's name, as neither MC can stop at sixteen bars and end up spitting for a combined eight minutes. Ross' shows his strong suits and abilities here, but the spotlight rightfully goes to 'three stacks' for his solid lyrics and wordplay. Tracks like "Ashamed" and "Maybach Music IV" also stand out in my mind, with Ross' referencing Jerry Sandusky in the Maybach track featuring Ne-Yo.

Most tracks just blend in on the album, but I think the good outweighs the bad in most aspects. This is a somewhat solid album, but it doesn't exactly top his previous efforts. If you want to cop the deluxe version, it features two tracks off Ross' "Rich Forever" mixtape earlier this year, "Triple Beam Dreams" featuring Nas and "Rich Forever" featuring John Legend. If you pass on this album, God will surely forgive you (excuse the pun), but if you are a fan of Ross it would be a decent addition to whatever collection you have.

Recommended Tracks:
4.) Ashamed
6.) Sixteen (feat. Andre 3000)
14.) Diced Pineapples (feat. Wale, Drake)

4.0 out of 5 stars "THESE HATERS CAN'T HOLD ME BACK", June 6, 2013
What is it about Rick Ross that keeps him around? Five years ago I would have never brought a Rick Ross album. But each album he impresses me a little bit more. The first album I brought was "Deeper Than Rap", and aside from a couple bangers, there was no substance, like eating a Twinkie for dinner and my stomach was hurting by time I got to track seven. Now with "God Forgives, I Don't", Rozay has morphed into something we haven't seen from him ever. He still flashing money talking about his riches, but now we find out a little about where he came from. We find out who Rick Ross was before the fame. With each album he has improved and shown the growth needed to survive in this fast hip hop world. He has the type of charisma we haven't seen in since B.I.G. Matter of fact when I heard "God Forgives, I Don't", I instantly thought of "Life After Death". That album showed a much softer B.I.G but also keep his street edge. To some that might seem like a stretch. But listen to both albums front to back and you will see what I mean.

I like the direction Rick Ross has taken with this album. This is his most personal album to date. Even the vibe on his signature "Maybach Music IV" is softer than usual with Ne-Yo on the hook. His "Maybach Music" series is usually the highlights of his albums. It still plays like a movie but this one is solid not epic. The melodic "Sixteen" is the realest I ever seen Rick Ross. Over a smooth J.U.S.T.I.C.E League beat, Ross lays out his feelings and closes out with a strong 32 from Mr. Andre Benjamin. The song might be over 8 minutes long but the groove is fantastic. He continues the flow on the Wale and Drake assisted "Diced Pineapples" which uses a very smooth piano loop to set the mood. "Ten Jesus Pieces" is a completely reflective track that reads like a prayer to every gangsta on the street. Just when you think Rick Ross has gone completely soft, he comes back hard with the bangers "Hold Me Back" & "911". Even filler songs like "Amsterdam" & "So Sophisticated" work extremely well. The number one gem on this album has to be the Dr. Dre and Jay-Z assisted "Three Kings". Jake One produces a beat that glues all three MC's together like peanut butter. This song is guaranteed to satisfy any hip hop hunger. The only songs I have a real problem with is "Touch N' You" with Usher. No matter how much I tried, I'm just not feeling it. "Presidential" is not one of my favorites either (Maybe because it's a Pharell song).

Rick Ross has improved in every way since the first time I heard him. This is a true example of growth as an artist. To compare it in sports terms, think of Lebron before he had a jumpshot and look at him now. Rozay has reached a higher level of music making. Each album he gets better. I didn't think he could top "Teflon Don" but he has. He knows how to give his fans exactly what they want without sounding exactly the same. Like Lebron, if Rick Ross continues on the path he is headed he won't be the greatest of all time, but he will be remembered as one of the greats. A-

4.0 out of 5 stars Rick Ross Raises The Bar...Slightly (Rating: 8 out of 10- -4.0 stars), August 2, 2013
Chandler "Infamous" (Atlanta (College Park), Georgia) - See all my reviews
I never thought I would see the day when I would give a Rick Ross album this high of a score. All of his albums have been decent at best. What separates this album is that Rick Ross has stepped his lyrical game up a bit. Not by much, but you can see there is some improvement. Better song concepts as well as good guest appearances, and you have a pretty good album. Tracks like "Shameless" and "Maybach Music IV" are pretty good (although my favorite out of the Maybach Music Series is the second one with Lil Wayne, Kanye, and T-Pain). Although Ross tries to hang with Andre 3000, "Sixteen" only irate Outkast fans of why Andre doesn't have a solo album. "Hold Me Back" is probably one of the best Ross solo to be released in a while. Towards the end of the album, he makes a few female friendly songs with the R&B singer hooks. The best one would have to be "Diced Pineapples" featuring Wale and Drake.

Still there are a few missteps on the album. Obviously with the guest appearances on "3 Kings" could have came off a little better, but Dr. Dre uses his verse to advertise his Beats By Dre Headphones, while Jay-Z's freestyle verse is like whatever. Also with the female friendly tracks placed at the end bunched together could have been thought out better when it comes to placement. Purchasing the Deluxe Version of this album is pretty much irrelevant. Both songs are good (Nas destroys "Triple Beam Dreams") but they were on the Rich Forever mixtape which you can download for free.

Overall this album shows that Rick Ross stepped it up. Although he is not quite there in the lyrical department, if you are expecting the average topics that Ross raps about (hustlin', drugs, getting rich, etc), there is a little more here this time around. Production carries a good portion of the album as well. Overall it is definitely worth listening to. Peace.

Lyrics: B+
Production: B+
Guest Appearances: B
Musical Vibes: A+

Top 5 Songs:
1. Sixteen (featuring Andre 3000)
2. Diced Pineapples (featuring Drake and Wale)
3. Hold Me Back
4. Amsterdam
5. Maybach Music IV

3.0 out of 5 stars ... just don't expect any new or remotely different, November 29, 2012
I feel like Rick Ross lost his lustre or I just got accustomed to his style, which is definitely both possible. This release from Rick Ross sounds similar to his previous but it just feels like it is missing some bang. The production is strong, featuring some of the bigger names in the industry, but it is missing blatant hard hitting bangers...and that is what I've come to expect from Rick Ross. The beats sound a bit smoother but lack the sound to get me amped. Rick Ross performs with his usual swagger but the content remains the same and his persona seems less interesting on this one. Don't get me wrong, the album is technically sound and cohesive but just don't expect any new or remotely different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Ross finest, June 28, 2013
I really, really like this song. Rick did a good job on this one.
I think he is one of the best hip-hop artist out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boss for sure, June 24, 2013
This album is very very good and it get's better every time I play it. This is a very musical CD. I love the Maybach Music cut. Excellent cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it and reccommend this album, June 3, 2013
Yes will Reccommend this album. Enjoy the album a whole lot. One of Rick Ross best work by far. Great

4.0 out of 5 stars solid album, May 18, 2013
Ross is growing up. Its not all selling drugs but its always there. There are some ok songs but there are some anthems

5.0 out of 5 stars Boss, May 13, 2013
My favorite rapper period.. This guy never fails on beats and delievery. MMG is the most consistent label out and this guy boss man grunt is the start of a great cd everytime.. you can hate on his personal life all you want but what rapper doesnt have a questionable life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good production ok substance, April 19, 2013
Typical for hip hop now with better beats. Andre 3k kills it though! Wish he would come out with a whole album of verses like this one.