Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

Forks Over Knives
Format: DVDChange
Price:$13.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 30, 2011
I saw this movie in the theater on May 28. It is excellent, and should serve as a wake-up call to all who see it to get their eating-habits act together. As one who has spent time in the hospital recovering from congestive heart failure and subsequently converted to a plant-based diet, I can personally attest to the efficacy of Drs. Esselstyn and Campbell's approach. I am now off all but one of the Meds, and am only continuing with that one because it helps my kidneys repair themselvs from the diabetes damage I inflicted on them with my previous eating habits. When they have recovered sufficiently, I will be off all meds.

My resting blood pressure (BP) is now in the normal range without meds (typically about 115/70, down from mid 180s/80), no thanks to my cardiologist who was perfectly happy to keep me on three BP medications indefinitely. My weight is now about 170 lbs, down from over 400 lbs. My heart ejection fraction is now in the mid 60s, up from 42 when I went into the hospital. I can now walk an aerobic 5 miles without breathing hard. My total cholesterol is about 120 with the LDL about 90 and the HDL about 35.

This movie is one everyone should see. If you let it, it will change your life.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2011
This movie contains information that could save your life. In October 2009, at age 52, while running a mile around my neighborhood as I did every morning, I staggered a couple of steps and hit the ground unconscious in full cardiac arrest. Heart disease is the leading killer in this country (needlessly as this movie shows) and the most common type of heart attack is the one like mine that comes with no warning. Survival for cardiac arrest outside the hospital is about 3%. I was extremely lucky - you might not be.

After my heart attack, my doctors said nothing to me about diet. In fact, later after learning about the work of Campbell and Esselstyn (featured in this movie), I asked my doctor how much time they spent in medical school learning the relationship between nutrition and health. His answer - none! If you see this movie, you will know more about the affect of nutrition on health than my doctor, and perhaps more than your doctor too. See this movie.

I applaud everyone involved in making this movie. It is based on scientific research, yet made understandable to all of us, with personal stories included that make it easy to relate. I saw this movie in the theater. I can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can give copies to all my family, friends, and all the others in my life that I don't want to suddenly die needlessly.

By the way, after a year and a half of adhering to the advice of Esslestyn, Campbell, McDougall, and others, I've eliminated my heart medications including the damaging statins, while still reducing my total cholesterol level to 160. I've lost weight, my blood sugar is down, my blood pressure is good, and I'm able to run two miles every day. My only remaining health issue is the stents that the doctors put in my cardiac arteries under the belief that they would lengthen my life. Unfortunately, stents, which cannot be removed, have a significant ongoing death rate associated with them that cannot be fixed through nutrition. So I urge you to see this movie, and clean up your eating habits BEFORE a major blow puts you on a pathway to death that you cannot alter.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 5, 2011
I've been to 2 screenings for this DVD and it is fabulous! Everyone needs to watch it. It has the answer to the most common illnesses in America. I very, very highly recommend it! If you are interested in a longer, healthier, happier life this is a must watch.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2011
I viewed the movie Forks over Knives in Houston, TX. Had previously read The China Study so I was familiar somewhat with the contents of the movie. My husband and I immediately changed to the plant based way of eating and subsequently in just a matter of a few weeks I have lost 16 lbs. I am not fat AT ALL. But my weight had crept up over the last couple of years and I couldn't seem to get it back down to normal for me. I feel GREAT! My parents are also on this way of eating. They are in their 70's, very active, health conscious, and very open minded. I believe this movie should be mandatory viewing for all school children. It should be on TV for all to freely watch. GREAT movie! We are waiting for the DVD to be released and plan on purchasing multiple copies to loan to family and friends. I know we're going to die - I just don't want to die of cancer (my fear), heart disease, diabetes, etc. Just OLD AGE!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2011
This movie came out right as I finished reading The China Study. Took the family to see this in the theater and we all agreed right then and there that we were all done eating the standard American diet. It opened up our eyes to the realities of a Westernized diet and how to avoid those illnesses that are killing our family, friends and neighbors. A must-see for everyone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2011
This movie combines the scientific and medical work of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, PhD Professor Emeritus in Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University, and Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstlyn, Jr., MD, surgeon at the world-renowed Cleveland Clinic, and the incredibly INSPIRING story of two FORMER heart disease patients and two FORMER diabetes patients.

This movie is POSITIVE, ACCURATE, and HOPEFUL. It is the perfect introduction to the concept of plant-based nutrition, and it offers very attainable role models in the patients to empower people to take their health into their own hands.

There are no segments of tortured animals - just wonderful information, top athletes, and people reversing their chronic disease.

Everyone needs to see this movie!!!!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2011
My husband and I just got home from seeing Forks over Knives with two friends who like us are over 65. We were very impressed. I want to thank everyone who had a hand in the making of this film. You have to know that you have "planted the seeds of change" for the world! We have all read the China Study book and have changed our eating habits...but watching the movie renewed our conviction that this is the only way to eat and like another reviewer said, "die from old age!"

It's unbelieveable that the marketing of meat and dairy products has now influenced our neighbors in Europe and Asia. So sad, that they had it RIGHT!!! Now they will see what damage will be done to their health from straying from the plant based diet they had enjoyed with such good health. Hopefully if we change ...they will also.

No longer will we have to raise millions of cattle to feed us into oblivion. I pray we see this in our lifetime, as we do plan to live a long time.

Can't wait for the cookbook.!!!!

We will be buying the DVD and share it with others.

Warm thanks,
Ginny C., Mesa Arizona
on July 1, 2011
This is the simple solution America does not want. It is time for people to show some initiative in taking charge of their own health. The healthcare system as we know it won't be there as it is in 20-30 years. Take care of yourself now and you will be healthy then. I became an 'accidental vegan' after I saw Rip Esselstyn on the Today show and then read his book 'Engine 2 Diet.' I have been a vegan for over two years. I am now 52 years old. I have read 'The China Study' by Dr. Campbell and 'How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease' by Dr. Esselstyn and I have Dr. McDougall's cookbooks. I will never go back to eating animal products because I feel too good.

The film was very informative, educational, however, I am already a believer in plant based nutrition. America has such a fascination with animal foods, and unfortunately most people won't listen until they are too sick. I definately recommend the movie and the books of these researchers and clinicians. You will save your live and yourself.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2011
Grade: A+
This movie was EPIC!!! If you are a human being living on planet Earth, I recommend you see it. I can't put it any plainer than that. I saw it twice. It's a wealth of knowledge applicable to modern civilization and lifestyle, packaged into 90 minutes. I wanted to pull out my cell phone to take notes! The information is outstanding, the visual aids were amusing, and the narrative was good. It was impactful to see that this isn't just some new trend but information that the doctors have been compiling for over 20 years. There are so many people that I want to get the DVD for to give as a gift to watch and learn. I left the theater feeling inspired to do a better job with my health starting that night. Movies like this one make me want to watch them again and again for inspiration and self-motivation!
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2011
Folks are sure to scream "radical" and "propaganda" and the like once this film gets a bigger following.

Of course, there will also be the comparisons and comments about the documentary's style of influencing by editing or selective information gathering. Certain others will call the science or the research findings quackery.

Okay. It's a documentary. It has a bent. Almost every scientific study can be questioned based on the goal and mindset of the researchers. But when I watch a documentary I try to keep in mind that I'm not necessarily watching pure truth, but interpretation of truth.

Here is something else to consider. How much of our time is spent filtering through marketing propaganda? We know that color influences hunger. Hence the yellows, reds, oranges and browns in many restaurants and chains. We also have experienced sudden and intense hunger when seeing photographs or television commercials for food. (And we also know that there is an industry that creates food art for those fabulous pictures out of products that we would not put in our mouths.)

Within the last decade or so, ads for medications to "manage" our diseases have flooded our media.

Pick your propaganda...and pick your poison.

Here is why I'm recommending that you watch this film if you have any qualms about your health. If you want to know the truth, if you want to be healthy, if you are concerned about the health of your family, watch this film so that the propaganda you hear and see and smell everyday can at least have a counterpoint to consider.

This documentary shares several stories that are almost jaw-dropping amazing. Men and women who stop disease, reverse horrible lab work results and add life to their lives by simply giving up animal products. The reason that these people make the decision to follow this radical path is based on research and the results of others.

Here is my series of reasons that I believe and embrace what I saw in this film.

I work in the medical field. I see people everyday who routinely take ten to twenty different medications to keep on top of their diseases. Each medication has side-effects and many of those need additional medication to keep symptoms under control.

Often, our healthiest patients are the upper eighty-year-olds and even ninety-somethings who grew up on farms and still eat from their homegrown gardens. The middle age folks, the ones who work hard, run to and fro, and often rely on fast food, restaurants and convenience food at home, well, some of them appear to be some of the sickest folks we see. Of course, this is my unofficial and unscientific observation. But, honestly, there are some alarming new studies that confirm my concerns.

On a personal note. My husband has rheumatoid arthritis. Four years ago, based on the progression of his disease to the need for injectibles, we made big changes from the traditional current American diet to organic and whole food as much as possible. Immediately we saw results. He was able to hold off the progression of his disease and even drop a medication for break through pain. In April of this year we took that mindset to a new level. We went Vegan (Whole-food, plant-based). My husband's knuckles look normal. He doesn't have flare-ups of pain like he did four years ago. I have energy I haven't felt in years. My skin glows, I feel healthier than I did at thirty. I've lost a total of 45 lbs in four years.

In March I mourned that I would have to give up cheese, eggs and cream in my coffee. In September I'm saying I don't even miss any of those.

There is a difference between Vegan and whole-food, plant-based eating. And it can be an ethical choice verses a nutritional one. Vegan can include highly processed food that is not recommended by any health professional. Whole-food, plant-based is eating like most healthcare providers suggest. More leafy greens, reds, purples, yellows and oranges to join the green, avoidance of animal high fat products like cheeses. This advice doesn't go much beyond the usual medical advice to eat a healthy diet.

The propaganda you embrace will come with choices and consequences.