5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tasting Recipes
My husband & I cook everything from scratch & have for decades. But before watching the DVD by the same name, we've never gone vegan. Let me tell you, the recipes are really good! I was shocked at the flavor. My husband is Italian, & we use olive oil like it's water ( along with eggs, cheese, sausage, etc).
At first I dubiously sautéed my onions & other...
Published 21 months ago by busy mom

Published 23 months ago by Disco Owl

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tasting Recipes, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year (Paperback)
At first I dubiously sautéed my onions & other veggies dry, only adding small amounts of water to the pan as needed to keep the veggies from sticking to the pan. This is following directions of the cook book. Well I have to tell you, I am absolutely amazed how great everything tastes! It did not happen over night. But slowly I realized I was tasting vegetables not coated with olive oil. Now, seeing or thinking of food sautéed in oil sickens me. I never saw that coming. Also, I truly feel cleaner & lighter than I have ever felt. It is amazing. I'm 43, pretty active, 5'5'' & 110 lbs. And I have low blood pressure. So I did not start eating this way to drop any weight or get off any meds. Yet, I still feel so awesome eating this way. I even like almond milk & nutritional yeast now, which I believe you have to acquire a taste for. I do have to eat avocados, almonds, and walnuts every day to ensure that I don't lose any weight. My husband loves that he's lost weight that he has struggled for years to lose. Now it's coming off easily. And that's still with eggs & cheese in his diet. We eat a lot of whole grains now. So, from someone who has cooked forever, these recipes are really, really good. *************One word of caution: A strictly vegan diet is completely lacking in vitamin B12, which is Essential to remain healthy. I encourage you educate yourself on this fact. Take a multivitamin or a B12 supplement. I am surprised this is not stressed more in the books/ DVD. Also, lots of bad reviews because of the many typos. Amazon clearly acknowledges the problem, offers the download to correct the errors of the first printing, and explains that all copies now being sold are the revised edition. Amazon even explains how to tell which edition you have. I feel the reviews on this cook book would be much much higher if there were no typos in the first edition printing. A lot of people were very upset with all the errors. And rightly so. But all is fixed. I originally borrowed this bk from the library, and used it a lot. But then realized I held a copy with all the typos (learned from the amazon web site when you type in the title of this book, then scroll down). So I ordered my own copy from Amazon, typo free. I've tried many recipes so far, but strangely enough, our fav so far is the salad with an AWESOME dressing on page 80. Best we've ever had. Hope this very long review helps someone. :)
***December 2012 Update: Since my husband is a diabetic he has to get cholesterol blood work checked every 6 mos. My husband's disease is acquired thru his family history-he can never exercise or diet his way out of it. His blood results were incredible! His Dr. informed him they were the best results (and lowest body weight) he had ever had since having my husband as a patient (6 1/2 yrs.). The Dr. was so excited and intrigued, he decided he had to watch Forks over Knives that evening, having never heard of the book or DVD before.

4.0 out of 5 stars a must have recipe book, but don't expect too many pictures, August 3, 2012
I recently watched "Forks Over Knifes" and got enough inspiration to try learning to cook using more healthier vegetable-centric ingredients. I received this book a few days ago and started cooking.

As a reference point, please keep in mind that I'm a typical guy who used to eat 20oz Rib-Eye stake and considered mashed potatoes my daily serving of vegetable. Besides, vegetables are what my food ate.

The book starts with explanation of the differences in the vegetable ingredients, fundamentals of cooking such as preparing your stock & sauces, then quickly moves to breakfast, salads, soups, stews, chilies, grilled, wraps, stir-fried, baked, casseroles, and desserts.

Unlike other cookbooks, all of the above use vegetable as primary ingredient using cooking methods from around the world. For example, I enjoy miso soup with my sushi, but never knew that miso sauce was made using mirin and paired with rice.

While this book concisely explains the ingredients and cooking directions in plain English, the author/publisher seem to forget that a picture is worth a thousand words. For example, page 168 has one of my favorite Thai dishes, Pad Thai. While the cooking directions are clear, I wish they had a picture of the final dish to help me "toss the sauce with the cooked pasta and garnish with the peanuts". I do "eat" with my eyes and nose before the taste. To their credit, included are a dozen full page photos of dishes but they are more like teasers for the next cookbook.

Overall, a must buy. Would I recommend? Absolutely!

5.0 out of 5 stars A WINNER - bringing Plant Based Nutrition into the mainstream, August 3, 2012
Tom (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
When you look at the science and follow the teachings of Drs. McDougall, Esselstyn, Ornish, Greger, Barnard, Lederman, Pulde, Pam Popper ND, T Colin Campbell PhD et al, and such notable dietitians as Jeff Novick RD, Julieanna Hever RD and take this wisdom and the brilliance of chef Del Sroufe and his collection of elite plant based chefs you have a winner of a book at a RIDICULOUSLY reasonable price. This is a gorgeous full sized book with beautiful color photos and very creative and easy to follow recipes. The ingredients are common and familiar to most making this a book that is very useable to those new to plant based cooking as well as the veteran vegan! Very pleased with this book. These healthy and delicious looking recipes are low fat, whole food, plant based with no added oil. Clearly the most healthy way to eat if you follow the science. Only criticism would be some of the dessert recipes by Isa Moskowitz that can use to one cup of sugar! YIKES!!!! Hard to call that healthy. But the desserts are a small part of the book and there are some desserts that actually use little to no sugar and just the sweetness of fruits. Overall A HIT! Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if the food tastes bad because of all the mistakes, or if the food just tastes bad., August 17, 2012
This cookbook is riddled with typos and mistakes...like, omitting whole entire ingredients from the recipe. Publisher came out with a statement saying they are going to fix mistakes in future printings, but they should take the current version off amazon immediately. Not fair for consumers to spend money on something that is a total amateur publishing. As someone who works in publishing, this is really offensive. I know what it's like to proofread, and it's not brain surgery. I can understand one or two typos here and there, but i've only made 4 recipes so far and every single one had an error. And unfortunately, the ending results of everything i've made have been mediocre. Nothing really BAD or terrible, but nothing i'd make again or offer to guests. If this book can't win over a vegan like myself, it's certainly not going to win over any meat-eaters. Very disappointed. I was really excited and hopeful for a Forks Over Knives revolution, but it's not going to happen anytime soon with a cookbook like this. Sorry! (And who puts indian curry on pasta??? That is just wrong.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes in the recipes, August 9, 2012
I agree with another reviewer that it would have been nice to have photographs of the food next to the recipe itself rather than grouped with photo pages in this book. Plus, there were photos of only about 20 recipes.
The first recipe I made was on page 169, eggplant rollatini. There is a huge error in this recipe. The ingredient list calls for a pound of fresh spinach. However the instructions do not mention what to do with the spinach! So I was left guessing whether I was supposed to sauté it, use it raw, chop it, or what. Also, the instructions talk about spreading the millet mixture on the eggplant, but is unclear about what the mixture is composed of. The recipe itself is difficult and I used 4 different pans in preparing it. To have an incorrect recipe with all the pans is annoying. I hope the rest of the recipes are correct. I emailed the author about the incorrect recipe and hope he will be kind enough to reply. I just got this book and will give it 3 stars, with a possibility of increasing or decreasing the stars in the future depending on my experience with future recipes.
Update: I DID receive a prompt reply from the author who wrote the following: (Because of his reply the the fact that the recipe was tasty, I'm giving 4 stars. It would have been 5 stars if the photos had been with each recipe. I've asked Mr. Sroufe about how to obtain the correction sheet from the publisher.)
"hi Gail,
Thanks you for purchasing the book and I hope it provides you with years of good food. The publisher found a few errors and they are posting a correction sheet shortly
Here is the correction for your recipe. It is number 6 in the instructions.
Place the onion, celery, and carrot in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat
for 7 to 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from
sticking to the pan. Add 4 cloves of the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spinach, basil and
nutritional yeast (if using), and season with black pepper.. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
Thanks again,
Del Sroufe"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for Healthy Recipes, October 22, 2012
K. Behymer (Beautiful Boston) - See all my reviews
I'll confess up front that I bought this book because of the dessert chapter. Some months ago, I read on the Post Punk Kitchen that Isa Chandra Moskowitz was creating healthier dessert recipes for the book (and had tried a couple of the recipes she posted, and I decided that I would purchase this book when it came out. I was so pleasantly surprised at the wide variety of really creative recipes included, all with easily available whole foods. I was sure that the low fat cheesy sauce recipe (nooch sauce, beloved of vegans everywhere) just wouldn't work. It has very little fat and no flour, but it is delicious and takes all of 5 minutes to make. Try it in the excellent Cauliflower and White Bean Casserole. I have also enjoyed the Kim Chee salad, slow cooker oatmeal, the Spicy Tropical Smoothie and others. I also appreciate that many of these recipes are very quick to make. And the desserts--these treats are made with mostly whole grain and gluten free flours, with almond butter and apple sauce and lower sugar, and they are fantastic--try the 'lunchbox' chocolate chip cookies, raspberry thumbprint cookies, raspberry truffle brownies and the chocolate and regular pumpkin breads.

1.0 out of 5 stars Prof. Ted, April 11, 2013
After viewing the FOK film and thinking that this would be a good direction to go, I bought this book because of the positive reviews. I should have looked at the 1-star ones. After trying about 7 of the recipes, I have to agree with several of those thumbs-down assessments: the recipes are poorly described, often failing to give measurable amounts of some ingredients, and give no indication of how many servings they make. What's even worse is that, after thinking that I'd now be able to move to a super-healthy diet that tastes really good, most of what I've tried is sub-par at best, and some are outright DISGUSTING (try the no-cheese sauce if you want to experiment; both my and my wife found it reminiscent of septic tank odor! And I wasted a nice bunch of broccoli I poured it on). My verdict: the author ought to go to cooking school, test his recipes on an average group of people, only put in ones that get at least a B, and learn to write recipes that give the needed information. Overall, it seems like another scam, particularly exploiting people honestly looking for a healthy diet. It leads me to look into both the FOK documentary and Dr. Esselstyn's claims much more carefully. FOK.com would do well to disassociate themselves with this recipe book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version has everything corrected, August 21, 2012
Lego (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
Get the Kindle version! The error corrections have already been made and you can save a tree at the same time. There are a TON of recipes in this book. If you are a fan of the first book, you can't go wrong with this one. The people behind Forks Over Knives know what they are doing when it comes to plant-based recipes. No processed, unhealthy, or exotic ingredients. Just natural, whole, yummy plant-based foods!

5.0 out of 5 stars Errata Now Corrected in Print Version, December 2, 2012
I purchased the print version and am happy to report that the errata reported in other reviews seem to have been corrected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whole Foods Plant-Based Low Fat Recipes, August 8, 2012
I love this book! There are recipes for every type of meal, including an amazing selection of low-fat desserts. The book focuses a lot on whole grains and fresh produce, but most of the ingredients used are easily accessible to anyone, (based on what I can find at my local non-specialty supermarket.)

I've been trying to get away from processed foods a lot recently, so it's nice to see a vegan cookbook entirely free of recipes with faux meat and non-dairy cheese substitutes. Also, a lot of the recipes do not include tofu, so if you're looking to lower your soy intake, this may be a good choice.

$18.95 $10.71